Goodbye to AM radio?

Fragile Bird

9 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Omg, CFRB! We had a radio in the kitchen when I was growing up and it was always tuned to CFRB. I should listen to it just to see how it’s changed or not changed in the intervening decades. Or to see if I’ve turned into a dinosaur yet!

Their radio dial has been set to 1010 for so many years, it has become so stiff that it can hardly be moved.

On 7/28/2023 at 2:06 PM, Fragile Bird said:

“Lots of right wing cuckoo talk”, lol.

I remember years ago going to my brother’s bedroom late at night and hearing him listen to US talk radio (we live in Toronto, in Canada). He’d say “there’s this guy called Rush Limbaugh” and say, “and I like to listen to the crazies who call in from across the USA”.

There was someone else as well, not sure if it was Alex Jones or someone else.

I had a summer job back in high school (about 30~35 years ago) doing basic paperwork, so I was able to listen to a lot of talk radio.  Rush was the main host.  G Gordon Liddy and Oliver North were also popular at the time.

Liberals used to have a presence on am talk radio.  There was a syndication network called Air America, and Richard Belzer, Al Franken, Marc Maron, and Janeane Garofalo hosted some of the shows.  Is anyone from the left on am anymore?

I suspect AM is going out of new autos because the uniparty doesn't like to have conflicting viewpoints heard. Can't stop the signal though.

I have a huge soft spot for AM radio though because I remember as a kid on family road trips listening to Red Sox games after sun down 5 plus states away, and catching the Whalers Canadiens series on WTIC from Hartford while going to school in DC.  Russ Courtnall wasn't quite a Bucky Dent or Aaron Boone level villian but still that one hurt.

AM radio was dying long before the buffoons found it. FM has many technical advantages and people preferred it. AM then became a wasteland with a very low entry price so it was of interest to those who had a small audience. The only technical advantage it has is a longer range.

Most CBC stations in Newfoundland broadcast Radio One in AM. St John's got an FM station a few years ago finally, but all the other larger centres (Corner Brook, Grand Falls, Gander) are still without. So I listen to 990 AM constantly in the car as a result. 

• 1 month later...
On 8/2/2023 at 4:55 AM, maarsen said:

AM radio was dying long before the buffoons found it. FM has many technical advantages and people preferred it. AM then became a wasteland with a very low entry price so it was of interest to those who had a small audience. The only technical advantage it has is a longer range.

when i was way younger i thought it was magical i could be in washington dc area and if i fine tuned, went slowly along the am dial i could hear chicago and st. louis stations. now we take it all for granted but there was something very cool about tuning in music, sports, newstalk, listen to their chicago car ads, or cubs and cardinals baseball. always could tune them in late at night, guess the big linear analog airwaves were in full force, something about night atmosphere and signals.  those were the days......

Haven't listened to AM radio for decades. The pulled the plug here in 2015. (Well, that's what Wikipedia says. I didn't notice at the time.) FM was supposed to have been phased out in 2012 in the EU, but they cancelled those plans as the successor, DAB, wasn't very successful. So they created a new digital standard, DAB+, which is no supposed to succeed FM. It's mandatory in cars. 

AM radio was a thing in the cold war, because radio waves don't stop at the border. Western radio and TV were important to people stuck behind the iron curtain. We don't really have their equivalent anymore.

• 4 months later...

AM radio has been a staple for many, but I have to admit, I've also gravitated towards FM stations over the years. It's where I find most of my favorite tunes and shows.It's quite a revelation that some major car companies are phasing out AM receivers due to interference with electric engines.While I don't listen to AM radio as often, it's crucial for many rural areas and emergency broadcasts. It's like a lifeline in those situations.If you're looking to explore radio further, you might want to check out the Xiegu G90 HF Transceiver. It's a versatile piece of equipment for building your radio setup.

Edited by IanBrown

I think the last time I listen to AM radio for a sustain time was the late aughts. I actually listen to alot of Political talk radio until my mid 20s. Philly sports moved over to FM around that time. I mainly stopped listen with the Iraq war since many hosts pushed so many conspiracy and bellicose to invade Iraq and just did not care on how wrong it all was.

Its been infected with right wing pundits and proselytizing religious programming for decades now, so good riddance.

That said I do have some fond memories of listening to sports on WJR 760 on the long road trips over the top of Lake Michigan where your crossing a few forests and no city lights anywhere in sight but hey I got the Lions or Tigers on.

2 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Its been infected with right wing pundits and proselytizing religious programming for decades now, so good riddance.

That said I do have some fond memories of listening to sports on WJR 760 on the long road trips over the top of Lake Michigan where your crossing a few forests and no city lights anywhere in sight but hey I got the Lions or Tigers on.

Yes it has served it purpose, did its damaged, and now to be discarded as obsolete.