Football: Windows of missed opportunities

1 hour ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Homegrown players must be a significant consideration for Liverpool at this stage after seeing Milner and Ox depart plus Nat Phillips likely to exit too.  I’m surprised Adrian was retained as third choice GK because that’s an easy spot to allocate to homegrown.

Third choice?

Thought Kelleher wanted out to be starter somewhere else.

1 hour ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Third choice?

Thought Kelleher wanted out to be starter somewhere else.

Probably so, but I doubt Adrian becomes the first back-up again.  He was so unreliable last time and cannot be a sweeper-keeper.  I really don’t understand why we renewed him.  There’s another up-&-coming youth keeper who could step up.

I would rather have a CB plus 1 more midfielder to be honest. I've heard good things about Gvardiol's fellow countryman Josip Sutalo, that he's as good as him and wouldn't cost a fortune. Any insights about Sutalo from our resident Croatians here? 

Neil Jones
@neiljonesgoal
No offers received at this stage, but Liverpool could soon find themselves with a decision to make over Thiago Alcântara, with Fenerbahçe among the clubs keen on signing the midfielder.

@neiljonesgoal:

- Liverpool could still move for Romeo Lavia and Khephren Thuram this summer, even after signing Dominik Szoboszlai.

Edited by AncalagonTheBlack

That's fair ( And for our sake, I hope it applies to Havertz)

Though Poch is a good coach, especially with nurturing young talent and making them better

Edited by Raja

I'd really rather we kept Thiago. We've basically gotten what we signed up for out of him; he's world class when fit but he's going to miss large chunks of the season through injury. He's probably more suited to the new system we're playing than the old 4-3-3 and him and Alexander-Arnold is probably about as good a passing deep lying two in midfield as there is in world football. We can't rely on him for more that 10-20 games a season but if we're lucky and those games include some key games it could make a real difference, if not he's a solid option for resting Fabinho.

Reports that Newcastle would be willing to pay £25-30m for Cucurella. Recency bias might make some Newcastle fans sceptical but Cucurella is a good player - he was good in his breakout season for Eibar and then very good for two seasons at Getafe and a season at Brighton. He would be a good signing for Newcastle and if they do get him for 25-30m then that would be a fair valuation as well - Chelsea obviously significantly overpaid.

For all the complaints about FSG’s unwillingness to spend on transfers, it does seem like wage bill and squad size were the real blockers.  As soon as Ox, Keita and Milner moved on, without any transfer fees, the club goes and spends ~150M (if Lavia or similar happens) to replace them in MF.  And they paid transfer fees pretty quickly for Diaz, Gakpo and Nunez even before Mane (Diaz) or Firmino (Gakpo and Nunez) had departed.

Our wage bill was very high these past few years.  Ox and especially Keita were expensive passengers, unfortunately, due to injuries.  I’ll exempt Thiago from that group because his quality is great whenever he has been available, and he played a lot during the quadruple chase.

2 hours ago, Consigliere said:

Reports that Newcastle would be willing to pay £25-30m for Cucurella. Recency bias might make some Newcastle fans sceptical but Cucurella is a good player - he was good in his breakout season for Eibar and then very good for two seasons at Getafe and a season at Brighton. He would be a good signing for Newcastle and if they do get him for 25-30m then that would be a fair valuation as well - Chelsea obviously significantly overpaid.

Chelsea have been rinsing their rivals so far, not sure why they would give us a deal. 

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

Chelsea have been rinsing their rivals so far, not sure why they would give us a deal. 

Chelsea have plenty of options for LB so maybe they are prepared to take a loss on Cucurella just to get him off the books since they don't have to sign anyone to replace him - Chilwell is back from injury, Lewis Hall looked really good at LB last season and Ian Maatsen has had two very good seasons on loan at Charlton in 2021/2022 and then at Burnley last season.

5 hours ago, Consigliere said:

Chelsea have plenty of options for LB so maybe they are prepared to take a loss on Cucurella just to get him off the books since they don't have to sign anyone to replace him - Chilwell is back from injury, Lewis Hall looked really good at LB last season and Ian Maatsen has had two very good seasons on loan at Charlton in 2021/2022 and then at Burnley last season.

I think the club is just cleaning house in general. New owners want to make a splash and this clearly failed. Hopefully if they're smart they have a 2-3 year plan to reset and don't try to fix it all at once. They just need to be respectable next season. It's unrealistic to want anything more than that. 

Also Neymar got fined over $3M US for creating a fake lake on his property. If I made a top five list of superstar athletes to do something like that he would absolutely be on it. Off the dome it would be:

5. Neymar

4. Novak

3. Alex Rodriguez 

2. Shaq

1. Mayweather

ETA: Jordan also belongs somewhere on the list, so make it top 6 and put him where you want.

Edited by Tywin et al.