Unpopular Opinions You Have?

46 minutes ago, SeanF said:

Everyone has to fight, though.

Only when they are under attack by a whole army of Wildlings, which doesn't seem to happen all the time, only when there is a new King-Beyond-The-Wall.

47 minutes ago, SeanF said:

And, discipline goes to pieces, North of the Wall

It does, but that mostly involves Rangers, so I still don't think you usually are likely to die a violent death at the Wall unless you are a ranger.

I suspect GRRM killed Aegon because he didn't want to deal with the ramifications of a living Targaryen in Westeros.  That sounds like a political struggle novel in itself.  Of course,.he killed him in such a way as to be able to bring him back later.

As for the Night's Watch, I doubt they take babes in arms.  The youngest person we've seen even being recruited was Hot Pie, and was 11/12.  And when Jon was recruiting wildlings, he set the minimum age at 12.  So I would doubt they would take anyone younger than that.

By the way, GRRM has stated that he regards the Night's Watch, and its membership, as being basically heroic in nature.  Just so you know.

Edited by Nevets

On 7/3/2023 at 8:35 PM, sifth said:

Bran is never leaving the cave. 

I didn't know that was unpopular although I did once get a response from someone saying she thought Bran could leave it and live a full life like Bloodraven did. Wishful thinking in my view. Bloodraven only took his place with the row of charming skeletal oldies in the cave at the absolute end of his normal life. The weirnet seems to need Bran early because of the dearth of people with his ability. There were probably more around in the past. 'Magic' had been dying out etc. I mean those in the cave have bits if wood growing through them!

55 minutes ago, SaffronLady said:

That's probably not an unpopular opinion.

It’s not. Dalton would best Daemon 1v1.

in fact I think Roddy the Ruin, Cregan Stark, and Dalton were probably the best warriors of the Dance Era. Criston Cole and Daemon were just more famous due to tourneys and politics. 

Dalton was killing grown men in battle from the age of 12.

Neither Roddy or Cregan would have ever competed in tourneys. But Roddy was demonstrably a fucking animal, and Cregan was at the very least of Aemon the Dragonknight’s level, though I personally believe Cregan beat Aemon when they fought.

6 minutes ago, Jon Snowfyre said:

Cregan beat Aemon when they fought.

And Cregan was approximately a generation older than Aemon. Like, wow, the Old Man of the North sure aged gracefully.

Speaking of Aemon, I have a prob unpopular opinion:

Even if Daeron II really was Aemon's son despite all odds, then that still makes him more legitimate than the Blackfyres.

2 minutes ago, SaffronLady said:

And Cregan was approximately a generation older than Aemon. Like, wow, the Old Man of the North sure aged gracefully.

Speaking of Aemon, I have a prob unpopular opinion:

Even if Daeron II really was Aemon's son despite all odds, then that still makes him more legitimate than the Blackfyres.

That brings up mine on that whole era.

I hope Aemon and Naerys were simply really close siblings. Not lovers.

6 hours ago, Nevets said:

I suspect GRRM killed Aegon because he didn't want to deal with the ramifications of a living Targaryen in Westeros.  That sounds like a political struggle novel in itself.  Of course,.he killed him in such a way as to be able to bring him back later.

As for the Night's Watch, I doubt they take babes in arms.  The youngest person we've seen even being recruited was Hot Pie, and was 11/12.  And when Jon was recruiting wildlings, he set the minimum age at 12.  So I would doubt they would take anyone younger than that.

By the way, GRRM has stated that he regards the Night's Watch, and its membership, as being basically heroic in nature.  Just so you know.

I think there are heroes within the Nights Watch.

I would say that it had lost sight of its true purpose and had become corrupted.  Hence, the alliance with Craster.

17 hours ago, astarkchoice said:

-yes but its seen as extraordinary , the wall is a place grown men.struggle to survive in let alone kids.

Toddlers heirs to the throne that need to be get rid of is also an extraordinary circumstance.

It is inmaterial that the Wall is the gulag, what matters is that the Watch is a completely acceptable way of getting rid of political enemies without people making a fuss.

-yet we literaly see ned choose to take on a similar  danger rather than do something dishonourable , he literaly laughs at viserys and the dothraki 'when their horses learn to run on water' . He berates robert for fearing a child rather than face them like a man IF they later become a threat! 

No, we see Ned refusing to kill children, kill, Ned never once believes the Wall as beneath him.

You're making up a personality trait in Ned that it is not there.

2)hes considered the one who raised both of them to be honourable men , who refused to let his adopted boys be butchered and he did seal robert and  cersei together yes  but the realm needed that stability!  He also risked his life to persobaly go to dorne and calm doran back when he wanted warfare for ellia  over insanely complicated drawn out revenge  plans..he was clearly an honourable man.

There's nothing dishonorable by their standards in sending kids to the Wall, you're making that up.

Ned and Jon Arryn would obviously raise hell if Robert or any rebel were to publicly kill the chlidren, any other outcome however...

1) yes he can hes got his army there too and unless his best pal is willing to actualy murder him  or go to war  then hel do as he pleases, ned will die to do the right thing .....robert wont kill the man he thinks of as brother to do something  esp in his heart of hearts he knows its the right thing to do ( if deeply impractical )

• He's got an army, not the biggest one even.
  • Ned cannot simply leave with two enemies of state lol, there is a reason he's had Jon hidden in plain sight, because it is dangerous af.
  • Ned doesn't consider a bad place.

3)ned knows what it is , his own brother vists him often ....he knows its a hard shitty place  and he even had plans to fix it up (bos long term plans for the gift) but also that there is honour there .......but no place for a kid

That's not what he says.

And Benjen tells him that the Watch is undermanned and in need of attention, which he is perfectly willing to give, not without saying that when this decision would be made, Benjen would still be the Stark in Winterfell.

The Watch may not be a place for his kid, and he still sent him there, but the place for his mortal enemy's kid? Sure it is.

There's certainly a disconnect about what Ned feels and thinks about the Wall and what readers think a decent character like Ned ought to feel and think about the Wall.

9 hours ago, Castellan said:

I didn't know that was unpopular although I did once get a response from someone saying she thought Bran could leave it and live a full life like Bloodraven did. Wishful thinking in my view. Bloodraven only took his place with the row of charming skeletal oldies in the cave at the absolute end of his normal life. The weirnet seems to need Bran early because of the dearth of people with his ability. There were probably more around in the past. 'Magic' had been dying out etc. I mean those in the cave have bits if wood growing through them!

It wasn't until the show ended and Bran became king. Now many believe that's his end game.

18 hours ago, Craving Peaches said:

It does, but that mostly involves Rangers, so I still don't think you usually are likely to die a violent death at the Wall unless you are a ranger.

Sam thought he was going to die first day of training, and every day of training after. Then he thought he'd die on his first day of the job and Aemon had to pull some strings. Good for Sam that he had a friend in Jon. How many friendless Sam's are there though? 

12 hours ago, Nevets said:

As for the Night's Watch, I doubt they take babes in arms.

They do. Mances Rayder for example 

Edited by Hugorfonics

5 minutes ago, Hugorfonics said:

Sam thought he was going to die first day of training, and every day of training after. Then he thought he'd die on his first day of the job and Aemon had to pull some strings. Good for Sam that he had a friend in Jon. How many friendless Sam's are there though? 

Sam appears to be the exception not the rule though. Most people cannot be like Sam because they will be peasants so not able to afford enough food to get fat (plus they will be working all the time) or books...

3 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

Sam appears to be the exception not the rule though. 

Id say it's the opposite. Or maybe like a median type situation 

3 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

Most people cannot be like Sam because they will be peasants so not able to afford enough food to get fat (plus they will be working all the time) or books...

Sam's issue isn't his weight or his literacy. It's his crippling anxiety attacks which one might expect from a kid being disinherited and hounded out of his father's house