Internet entropy

Larry of the Lawn

Google has become essentially useless unless you're trying to buy something that's maybe related to your query or you're looking for clickbait.  

Search Engine Optimization frustration is wh[at] spurred me to post this, but the general complaint is not limited to that.  Nothing lasts.  So it goes.  

Is there a search engine out there that works anymore?  Is there a way to find information that isn't a paywalled, a shitty quora link answered by god-knows-who or just selling me something?  Even all the fucking sites selling us shit, you click on the page and the information on the item you're looking at is the most difficult thing to find.  

I am this close to just launching my phone into the river.

Please refrain from posting Twitter links or YouTube videos in this thread.  

Eta: I can Google a specific business and Google will instead provide for the first result whatever they have for a tangentially related advertising partner.  I Google "Lindemann chimney supply" and they give me links to Rockford Chimney Supply.  Fuck you.

Edited by Larry of the Lake

Bing is only slightly better, IMO (and work at MS, so take it for a grain of salt). Generally has less depth of searches but also way fewer ads and sponsored garbage. 

And yeah, the Enshittification of search is really prevalent. It's remarkable how bad it is. I've heard some fans of DuckDuckGo?

2 hours ago, Larry of the Lake said:

Is there a search engine out there that works anymore?  Is there a way to find information that isn't a paywalled, a shitty quora link answered by god-knows-who or just selling me something?  Even all the fucking sites selling us shit, you click on the page and the information on the item you're looking at is the most difficult thing to find. 

Reddit. I've found it enormously useful in determining the actual quality of many items I've had to get.

5 hours ago, Kalnak the Magnificent said:

I've heard some fans of DuckDuckGo?

It's my default, but it's not great. I frequently try Google after DDG doesn't work, and sometimes get better results.

I'm using as ecosia.org as much as possible after I've seen students use it. Just a minor way to greenwash my searches.^^ Have to switch to Google sometimes for more obscure searches, but it's fine for everyday things.

I tried ecosia a couple of years ago  but reverted to Google since ecosia didn't have the ability to return bus and train timetables for the relevant day. I don't drive, and that particular feature is very useful. 

Should give it another go. 

1 hour ago, dog-days said:

I tried ecosia a couple of years ago  but reverted to Google since ecosia didn't have the ability to return bus and train timetables for the relevant day. I don't drive, and that particular feature is very useful. 

Should give it another go. 

To be honest, I just go straight to the site of the local train company. Here they have their own route planners.

More general computer complaints- my wifi stopped working on my laptop.  Bought a USB wifi adapter, plugged it into laptop, needs a driver.  Didn't come with one.  Can't download it because no Wi-Fi on PC.  Trying to connect phone to PC but Windows won't let me connect without signing into my Microsoft acct, which can't do because again, no internet.  This is all incredibly stupid.  Just yelling at a cloud here.  

5 hours ago, Larry of the Lake said:

More general computer complaints- my wifi stopped working on my laptop.  Bought a USB wifi adapter, plugged it into laptop, needs a driver.  Didn't come with one.  Can't download it because no Wi-Fi on PC.  Trying to connect phone to PC but Windows won't let me connect without signing into my Microsoft acct, which can't do because again, no internet.  This is all incredibly stupid.  Just yelling at a cloud here.  

:grouphug:

It would be funny (in an unfunny way) if they drove us back to keeping massive libraries of resource materials and print media.  

Many law offices still keep complete law libraries onsite, and I'm sure there are others also doing it.  As a court reporter/stenographer, I'm sometimes driven to fucking looking it up in a book.  Much quicker and not so many irrelevant temptations.

On 8/10/2023 at 3:06 PM, Larry of the Lawn said:

I had something similar last year. Built a computer, and my motherboard with wifi built in needed a driver update in order to connect to the internet via wifi. Good job, everyone!

On 8/7/2023 at 10:03 PM, Larry of the Lawn said:

Google has become essentially useless unless you're trying to buy something that's maybe related to your query or you're looking for clickbait.  

Search Engine Optimization frustration is wh[at] spurred me to post this, but the general complaint is not limited to that.  Nothing lasts.  So it goes.  

I am this close to just launching my phone into the river.

Please refrain from posting Twitter links or YouTube videos in this thread.  

Eta: I can Google a specific business and Google will instead provide for the first result whatever they have for a tangentially related advertising partner.  I Google "Lindemann chimney supply" and they give me links to Rockford Chimney Supply.  Fuck you.

Google essentially canabalized the internet. They made the rules, rules that dumbed down content, and are now eating off of the backs of others. They will eat until there is nothing left. Why anti-trust cases haven't been brought up against Google in a regular basis I'll never understand.