The Acts of Caine by Matt Woodring Stover [Are these books rarer than gold?]

Veltigar

I bought the eBook version of Blade of Tyshalle in anticipation of the paper copy. A very busy week both on the work and social fronts, so I have not been able to put as much time in it as I would have liked. That being said, I already really like the beginning. Without spoilers, it's great to see consequences in a fantasy book for a change:

Spoiler

I'm only at the second chapter, but in that short span of the time we see that Caine has been crippled, is raising another man's child, is being legally persecuted by the mother of a man he has killed, and that both his stepdaughter and wife have been changed beyond recognition as a result of their brush with Godhood.

Powerful stuff.

One thing I didn't get so far

Spoiler

Ma'elKoth seems to have changed names for some reason. Not sure that's on purpose or whether this has something to do with this being a different edition from my Heroes Die copy.

Anyways, don't answer it just yet. I'd like to find out myself.

1 hour ago, Veltigar said:

One thing I didn't get so far

Reveal hidden contents

Ma'elKoth seems to have changed names for some reason. Not sure that's on purpose or whether this has something to do with this being a different edition from my Heroes Die copy.

Anyways, don't answer it just yet. I'd like to find out myself.

Won't spoil anything for you. Just to say that it's on purpose.

I read this series about 10 years ago, based on the high praise here.  I read it all on ebooks, and then a few months later found a paper copy of Blad of Tyshalle at a take a book leave a book free library in Troy, NY.  also got trade PB copies Gene Wolfe-  of Urth of the New Sun and both Latro books.  

I think BoT was going for about $80 for the paperback at the time.  I also lost a signed copy of Before They are Hanged to the same library - my gf at the time threw it into a bag of drop-offs when I left it out.  

I went online to find a copy of Blade of Tyshalle, instantly found one for about £5 (good condition) and it arrived two days later.

I have since learned this was only marginally less jammy than finding a first-edition copy of the original hardcover of AGoT online for about £2.50.

49 minutes ago, Werthead said:

I went online to find a copy of Blade of Tyshalle, instantly found one for about £5 (good condition) and it arrived two days later.

I have since learned this was only marginally less jammy than finding a first-edition copy of the original hardcover of AGoT online for about £2.50.

...jammy? 

• 2 weeks later...

I finished Blade of Tyshalle, which took me longer than expected due to three reasons:

1. Real-life has been busy as hell lately, so I sadly do not have as much time to read as I would like.
  2. Reading the novel in eBook format was a pain in the ass. I cannot express how infinitely superior reading on paper is for me. With the exception of extended holidays, where the weight of several books might be a hindrance, I just don't see a use case at all for me.
  3. I didn't feel this book as much as the first one. Caine was... very emo throughout the book, which is not a quality that endears a character to me. I also found the level of plotting subpar in comparison to book 1, and neither the enemies, nor the stakes were very interesting to me.

If I were to seek for an explanation for the different landing of book 1 versus book 2, I would say that Heroes Die struck me as a fantasy novel with ambition, while Blade of Tyshalle was an ambitious book with fantasy in it. As a result, Heroes Die was fast-paced, with a lot of exhilarating sections. It was good in the way a top-tier action movie can be. Blade of Tyshalle on the other hand, felt like it was far more interested in both the metaphysics of this fictional universe and espousing a lot of lazy critiques against capitalism.

Unfortunately, given the small sample size I currently have, I would say that Stover's talents lie more with the fantasy aspect. I didn't dislike Blade of Tyshalle, but I also do not really feel like I'll reread it any time soon. I have novel 3 and 4 ready to go, but I'm going to have to read a pallet cleanser in between I think.

Unfortunately, given the small sample size I currently have, I would say that Stover's talents lie more with the fantasy aspect. I didn't dislike Blade of Tyshalle, but I also do not really feel like I'll reread it any time soon. I have novel 3 and 4 ready to go, but I'm going to have to read a pallet cleanser in between I think.

Book 3 is very much a back-to-basics approach of a fantasy novel, or at least so it appears.

Book 4 is...different.

22 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Book 3 is very much a back-to-basics approach of a fantasy novel, or at least so it appears.

Book 4 is...different.

Ah nice to hear, I guess I'll find out in a week or two ;) 

I'm quite enjoying the way everyone trying to discuss, without spoiling Veltigar, each book in the series is giving a summary of what we think of each of the first three books in one way or another then just throwing our hands up and going 'book 4 is weird'. 

I will say that while I do love Blade of Tyshalle in hindsight it was the one that came closest to dragging on the first read. There was a portion of the middle act where Stover just seemed to be piling on the misery without much to break it up in a way that doesn't really suit him, he's a showpiece scene guy. 

Obviously loves Apocalypse Now, though, that dude. 

Edited by polishgenius

5 hours ago, Veltigar said:

Ah nice to hear, I guess I'll find out in a week or two ;) 

I've long argued that book 3 *feels* a bit like a western, and book 4 feels a bit like an ode or homage to Robert Pirsig's Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. 

4 hours ago, polishgenius said:

I'm quite enjoying the way everyone trying to discuss, without spoiling Veltigar, each book in the series is giving a summary of what we think of each of the first three books in one way or another then just throwing our hands up and going 'book 4 is weird'. 

It's a shame we never got the original title of 'His Father's Fist', but then, given how that uh, sounds like, y'know, a bit saucy, I can kinda see why...

4 hours ago, polishgenius said:

I will say that while I do love Blade of Tyshalle in hindsight it was the one that came closest to dragging on the first read. There was a portion of the middle act where Stover just seemed to be piling on the misery without much to break it up in a way that doesn't really suit him, he's a showpiece scene guy. 

Obviously loves Apocalypse Now, though, that dude. 

BoT is fucking terrific once it gets going. If HD is an action novel, BoT is an all-out war novel. 

On 9/9/2023 at 9:27 PM, polishgenius said:

Absolutely. He reminds me of Bernard Cromwell in some ways. I kept on reading the latter's Uthred books, even though they became repetitive and I couldn't really be bothered to remember any of the details of the books that came before, just because his battles and duels remained exciting throughout.

On 9/10/2023 at 2:26 AM, IlyaP said:

I've long argued that book 3 *feels* a bit like a western, and book 4 feels a bit like an ode or homage to Robert Pirsig's Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. 

Never read the analogy for the fourth one, but I'm enjoying how everyone is indeed doing their best to describe without spoiling :D 

43 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

Absolutely. He reminds me of Bernard Cromwell in some ways. I kept on reading the latter's Uthred books, even though they became repetitive and I couldn't really be bothered to remember any of the details of the books that came before, just because his battles and duels remained exciting throughout.

Never read the analogy for the fourth one, but I'm enjoying how everyone is indeed doing their best to describe without spoiling :D 

I personally didn’t enjoy the fourth book but I suspect you’ll love the third one since it does go back to the basics of Heroes Die after the philosophical murkiness of BoT.

We’re all very curious about what you make of the fourth book though :P It’s quite polarising compared to all the other books.

Edited by Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II

I know it's a book Matt respects, and has talked about in the past, and I couldn't help but see a bit of Pirsig in the text when I read it. I mean, I do have other thoughts, but...I'll refrain from sharing them for the moment - or at least until you're done.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/25/2023 at 10:31 AM, Veltigar said:

Yeah, the covers of book 2, 3 and 4 were awful. It's as if someone took a time machine and asked Dall-E to create as generic a fantasy cover as possible. A shame that Del Rey screwed him over.

My cover of Heroes Die (Book 1) was so awful...

Cain is not pure evil, he does have a conscience. Just an asshole mostly.

Blade of Tyshalle was probably my least favorite.  I didn't really like the concept of "actors" heading into the first book, but man that book was great.