Football - Never Say Die!

Tywin et al.

Arsenal were clearly the better side. The game was a bit closer than I expected though - thought Arsenal would be cutting us open at will. We might have been able to scrape an undeserved point had we not had to finish the game with Evans and Maguire at CB.

United's performances thus far have been very concerning. We are extremely fortunate to have the 6 points (our performances have only merited 1 point at best) - well outplayed by Wolves but got an undeserved 3 points, barely scraped a win against Forest after going two down inside 5 minutes and well outplayed by Spurs and Arsenal.

Re: United, I think the big thing is the midfield just isn't working and imo there just isn't enough from either full back in an attacking sense to help the midfield out

Re: Arsenal - our corners were so trash all game, except for maybe one. Have to be way better.

Edited by Raja

Liverpool finally looked composed and balanced throughout the team, rather than ropey and prone to disaster.  And that clean sheet arrived without the two starting CBs or a DM.

I’m not sure if Villa were so bad that they made us look good or if we negated Villa so well that it made them look bad.  Nunez was definitely the right choice at 9, with all three forwards offering a pacy threat behind Villa’s high line; that plus the early goal and their early sub seemed to leave them uncertain how to proceed.  Once it was 3-0, Villa just retreated to limit any further damage, and Liverpool were content to play the game out with minimal threat.

Gomez had a very good game and the whole defense looked better positioned today than prior games.  Szoboszlai was very good again and scored a cracking opener.  Jones was a bit rusty (understandably) on his return but contributed to a more solid MF (at last!) even with MacAllister more of a deep playmaker than a DM.  Nunez resumed his personal vendetta against the goal frame but it was still an impactful contribution from him.

Gakpo has been unfortunate after a very good prior season to start this one out of position as a makeshift MF and hasn’t really found his groove yet.  But I expect he’ll be back in form soon.  Perhaps he could have played LW for his sub appearance today instead of false 9.  Elliott has been pretty tidy as a MF sub so far this season; it would be great if he can replicate Jones’ maturation last year.

Anyway yeah while it remains to be seen if he's actually any good I can't tell you what a tonic it was to see Hojlund come on and start setting about defenders and moving like a 9. Apart from an aged Cavani (and a broken Falcao) I think this might actually be the first time we've had an actual, unquestionable, no-other-business proper striker as a focal point for the team since Robin Van Persie. 

28 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Anyway yeah while it remains to be seen if he's actually any good I can't tell you what a tonic it was to see Hojlund come on and start setting about defenders and moving like a 9. Apart from an aged Cavani (and a broken Falcao) I think this might actually be the first time we've had an actual, unquestionable, no-other-business proper striker as a focal point for the team since Robin Van Persie. 

Yea agreed. His movement and power seemed good. No idea if he will become an efficient goal scorer but I think his introduction added some threat that really wasn’t there outside of two breaks.

Bruno's too busy falling over and looking at the ref

Also, just me or was it the right call on the penalty? I've seen a couple of replays and it didn't look like a penalty to me

As for Kai, I think the man just needs some confidence

Edited by Raja

1 hour ago, Raja said:

Bruno's too busy falling over and looking at the ref

Also, just me or was it the right call on the penalty? I've seen a couple of replays and it didn't look like a penalty to me

As for Kai, I think the man just needs some confidence

Two things are true. 1. That is rarely overturned. 2. It was the right call to overturn it.