Videogames Thread: Steaming Ahead

Corvinus85

On 11/10/2023 at 5:26 PM, Werthead said:

(not as good as Starfield's caves, which are another level and possibly the best thing in the game)

Really? I think I must be missing something, because it seems the caves I've seen are tiny two level ~doughnut shaped areas of one of four themes (standard dark boring, crystal latices, glowing fungus, or xenomorph themed) and contain a few resources and corpses of local planetary fauna and a single tiny box with credits.  I've been expecting to find pirate bases, ancient alien ruins, actual xenomorphs or just something that takes longer then 15 seconds to scoop up resources and head out.  Some are a bit prettier than the old Skyrim caves, but there just isnt anything to do in them.  Are they procedurally generated unlike the human structures which I assume were hand crafted but then randomly distributed across the planets?  

Spoiler

On the same note, I wonder why the power temples are so dull.  The dragonborn power temples in Skyrim put them to shame even if the crypt theme did get a bit old after a while.  Its just fly around in your ship until you hit a system with a temple, land, do the dumb floating puzzle and kill the starborn and thats it.

[These are minor complaints for a game that overall is quite good, more ambitious, and certainly less bug filled at release]

Edited by horangi

The Game Awards 2023 nominees have been announced.

BG3 unsurprisingly nearly omnipresent. Starfield didn't even make it into the GotY shortlist. Alan Wake 2 getting a lot of love as well and I've heard nothing but praise but I'm waiting until my new PC build to give it a shot. I wouldn't be surprised to see Swen struggling to carry another stack of trophies though I could equally imagine a scenario where it's an either or on GotY or stack of lesser awards.

23 hours ago, horangi said:

Really? I think I must be missing something, because it seems the caves I've seen are tiny two level ~doughnut shaped areas of one of four themes (standard dark boring, crystal latices, glowing fungus, or xenomorph themed) and contain a few resources and corpses of local planetary fauna and a single tiny box with credits.  I've been expecting to find pirate bases, ancient alien ruins, actual xenomorphs or just something that takes longer then 15 seconds to scoop up resources and head out.  Some are a bit prettier than the old Skyrim caves, but there just isnt anything to do in them.  Are they procedurally generated unlike the human structures which I assume were hand crafted but then randomly distributed across the planets?  

Hide contents

On the same note, I wonder why the power temples are so dull.  The dragonborn power temples in Skyrim put them to shame even if the crypt theme did get a bit old after a while.  Its just fly around in your ship until you hit a system with a temple, land, do the dumb floating puzzle and kill the starborn and thats it.

[These are minor complaints for a game that overall is quite good, more ambitious, and certainly less bug filled at release]

I enjoyed Starfield a lot, but I can't say that I noticed the caves being particularly impressive either. But I didn't do too much in the way of exploring random planets, so it's possible there was a lot I was missing there.

Spoiler

Absolutely agreed that the whole power template was dull and repetitive. I hated that stupid "catch the light" minigame, and I hated that my ship always landed like a kilometre away from the temple. The powers never seemed that useful, compared to shouts, so at a certain point I just stopped going for them.

Since finishing Starfield, I tried out Hi-Fi Rush, which is a fun beat-em-up rhythm game. I enjoyed that aspect of it a lot, but got pretty bored with the level design/platforming after five or six levels. I then played Cocoon, which is a fantastic and mindbending indie puzzle game by the maker of Inside. The art and sound design are incredible, and for me the game hit the sweet spot of providing challenging puzzles but not so challenging that I needed to look things up or felt like beating my head against a wall. Highly recommended.

Next up I'm trying to decide between another indie puzzle game, Sommerville, or replaying Prey for the first time in years, or trying one of the Yakuza games.

Edited by Caligula_K3

55 minutes ago, Caligula_K3 said:

I enjoyed Starfield a lot, but I can't say that I noticed the caves being particularly impressive either. But I didn't do too much in the way of exploring random planets, so it's possible there was a lot I was missing there.

Hide contents

Absolutely agreed that the whole power template was dull and repetitive. I hated that stupid "catch the light" minigame, and I hated that my ship always landed like a kilometre away from the temple. The powers never seemed that useful, compared to shouts, so at a certain point I just stopped going for them.

Agreed about the powers. Probably the worst aspect of the game.

Spoiler

I eventually latched on to the one that deflects attacks and used it whenever things got tough, including in the final fight of the main quest.

Meanwhile, I'm doing a playthrough of Daikatana with the 1.3 patch - this time with the companions rather than without. Even with the 1.3 patch, the scripting options and technology for NPC companions isn't great, but it is a 23? year old game...