Videogames Thread: Steaming Ahead

Corvinus85

Continue.

Slow progress in my Starfield play. I got the Mantis suit and ship. I also did the parents background, so was gifted a ship by them, so now I'm to 4 ships. I wish there was a way to assign your people to the other ships and have them go do tasks for you like survey planets and gather resources.

Did some Akila City missions and also surveyed Tau Ceti II.

Since everyone was sharing in the last thread in celebration of Steam's 20th birthday, apparently I joined in 2005 and am now feeling very old. My top 20 games are:

1. Path of Exile - far too many hours
  2. Slay The Spire - 1168 hours (still rising)
  3. Civilisation V - 1075 hours
  4. The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth - 715 hours
  5. XCOM Enemy Unknown (mostly with the Long War mod) - 600 hours
  6. Stellaris - 594 hours, this is a bit of a surprise to me, but I guess I was really intensely into it right up until they totally reworked planets, at which point I totally dropped it.
  7. Skyrim - 450 hours
  8. XCOM2 - 405 hours
  9. Dead Cells - 370 hours
  10. Hades - 350 hours (hell of a great game, would be much higher if my hands hadn't gotten really bad eczema when I was getting in to speedrunning it which ended up with me having to not play controller based games for like 6 months rip)
  11. Monster Train - 313 hours (still rising)
  12. Borderlands 2 - 272 hours, another surprise 'cause honestly I barely remember playing this any more, guess it was a fun game back in the day, I know I used to do some multiplayer with friends so I expect that's where a lot of the time went.
  13. Enter the Gungeon - 230 hours
  14. Our Darker Purpose - 225 hours
  15. V Rising - 200 hours (I think some of these were afk)
  16. Celeste - 155 hours
  17. Darkest Dungeon - 150 hours
  18. Divinity: Original Sin 2 - 133 hours
  19. Into The Breach - 110 hours
  20. Baldur's Gate 3 - 76 hours and rising

Been on Steam since 2010. Here are the top dogs:

1 - Crusader Kings 2 - 430 h

2 - Skyrim - 380 h

3 - Civilization V - 270 h

4 - Civ VI - 210 h

5 - Witcher 1 - 170 h (yes, I did play it thrice entirely...)

6 - Age of Empires II - 150 h

7 - EU IV - 150 h

8 - Stellaris - 140 h

9 - Deus Ex Mankind Divided - 120 h

10 - Total War Rome (1st one) - 110 h

11 - Mass Effect 1 - 110 h

12 - KOTOR 1 - 100 h

13 - Dishonored 1 - 100 h

14 - Deus Ex Human Revolution - 90 h

15 - Planetside 2 - 70 h

16 - Disco Elysium - 70 h

17 - Jade Empire - 60 h

18 - Age of Empires III - 60 h

19 - Company of Heroes 1 - 60 h

20 - XCOM Enemy Unknown - 50 h

Though obviously there are plenty of games that I played more than 50 h that aren't here. Some like BG 1/2, Starcraft or Morrowind are on CDs, some are MMO like WOW, some are on GOG (Age of Decadence, Fallout 2) or freebies from Epic Store (Subnautica, some Assassin's Creed). Some are games I just downloaded from other places (no, not pirated, just old freeware/shareware games from the 90s, or the earlier Paradox games from GamersGate). Some are so old I don't even have a computer to play them and don't have the disks anymore (say Sid Meier's Pirates! on good old Comodore-64).

Edited by Clueless Northman

I really enjoyed Last Epoch on its previous major content patch and got pretty far into the endgame - which is loads more fun than D4 but far behind POE or even Grim Dawn to be honest. But it's getting there, and the combat is loads of fun.

Specifically, this very moment. Because a week ago they released another big content patch, releasing a sorcerer mastery called the Runemaster. I figured I'd try it out, as lots of good feedback already was floating around. Well, let me say that it might be the most fun moment-to-moment gameplay of any ARPG class I can remember in years. Basically, you cast a Fire, Ice, or Lightning spell, and then any combination of those is released through the Runemaster's signature skill. But the order and combination completely changes whatever spell is cast. So if I shoot three cool fireballs in a row, I cast Runic Invocation and a colossal fireball obliterates the screen. or if I only cast two fireballs, a fire mortar shoots out a bunch of quick shots. Or Lightning-Fire-Fire and a "Hydrahedron" is summoned and spits out its own fireballs.

It's ridiculously fun. Quite overtuned at the moment, but that's just making all the more entertaining. Anyway I won't be going hard on the game as I'm waiting for a proper 1.0 release to really flesh out endgame, but if any of you had bought a key prior, I highly recommend trying this guy out even if it's only til level 50 or something.

Got Starship Design and it was definitely worth it. Got access to better engines. Replaced the old hab with a bigger one, added another hab with armory. Then to complete the design I had to upgrade the grav drive and add 2 more engines. Also upgraded a gun. Cost about 50 k, but was worth it. 

It was confusing at first, but now that I ripped a ship apart I think I see how to create a whole new ship. It's going to cost a lot of money, but I think it's actually cheaper than buying whole new ships. And there's a lot of customization options I haven't even gotten into yet. Like designing the ship to support a huge crew. I've been mainly focusing on more cargo space right now. Got another rank in Starship Design as I like what I see here.

I've recently returned to my long abiding love of SWTOR pvp, and have been making lots of new friendos. 

One in particular is some tryhard who appears to have made it his mission to fuck with me in warzones and arenas which hasn't been working out well for him, even when he gets a premade going just to focus on me. It's hard to explain how angry he gets, dude absolutely rages.

He's recently taken to insulting me in Russian, and accusing me of being a Ukrainian troll :rofl:

I'm going to roll with it. 

Huh. GeForce Now apparently has Starfield for Steam and Microsoft store purchasers... and even people playing it on Game Pass can play over it. If you've an Android box or Chromecast on your TV, you can in theory play it in 4k there without any difficulty, provided you're subscribed to the service.

2 hours ago, JGP said:

He's recently taken to insulting me in Russian, and accusing me of being a Ukrainian troll :rofl:

I'm going to roll with it. 

Did a lot of PVP in The Secret World and the Russians and Ukrainians were some of the most try-hard and/or foul-mouthed PVPers around, so not surprised it's the same in other MMOs. Some were enormous trolls, too. 

Edited by Ran

1 minute ago, Ran said:

Did a lot of PVP in The Secret World and the Russians and Ukrainians were some of the most try-hard and/or foul-mouthed PVPers around, so not surprised it's the same in other MMOs. Some were enormous trolls, too. 

Pvpers can be an odd subset within an MMO community, wrapping so much of their kill skill into their actual identity strikes me as an unwitting form of self harm, but I have never encountered such personal and ongoing hatred from another player. It's bizarre.

7 hours ago, polishgenius said:

It shouldn't surprise anyone that the guy who decided this is a former EA CEO, who toyed with the idea of charging players a micro-transaction to reload their weapon in-game.

5 hours ago, Ser Not Appearing said:

Easy to say but, if I was a developer, either they change to a lock on pricing models or I'd never make another game using Unity.

tbh the damage is probably done. Even if they recant and find a way to legally guarantee they don't try this again - which seems difficult- how could anyone ever trust them again?

Everything about the decision is wild. Epic apparently charge a percentage of revenue for Unreal. By what I'm reading for most developers that actually winds up being rather more than what this would be, but it's fair. 20 cents per install kills giveaways- goodbye to Unity games being included in Humble Bundles, even moreso any free giveaway - but even in the regular course of play, it's absurd. For a 60/70 dollar full-price game it's back-of-the-couch money, but for a breakout indie selling for a dollar fifty they might as well not bother breaking out, that's a significant chunk gone. And as the developers have pointed out per install is so exploitable. 

I'm also rather surprised to find out Unity can just know which games are installed with their engine tbh. That seems invasive. I assume it's in the user agreement of any game I've played with Unity that that capability is in there, but... eww. 

Edited by polishgenius

Also. lol but also ffs. 

Quite a few are noting that both Nintendo and Disney have games made in Unity and therefore behind the scenes Unity's fucking around is rapidly being gained on by finding out. Those chaps do not play. 

Edited by polishgenius

Can anyone here talk to the following question? 

Two of my favorite games, Pillars of Eternity and Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire, were both made on the Unity engine. Will the changes made by the business in any way at all affect these games, even though they've been out for years and years now?

Or will these business changes only affect new games and/or games currently in development?

17 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

Or will these business changes only affect new games and/or games currently in development?

The makers of Cult of the Lamb have announced that they'll be deleting the game on January 1st precisely because they don't want this fee to be charged to them. It sounds a bit extreme, but they may feel that the behavior they see is that people regularly remove it and then reinstall to play it and that's just money that will be eating into their profits. 

More of that may lead Unity to back down on retroactively applying the terms.