Who is the most famous/infamous/ahead of the rest in their field?

BigFatCoward

1 minute ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Steve jobs legacy is far more known for iPhones and post-pc apple than the macs today.

I mean I feel like that is an incredibly granular definition by which standards we could nominate almost anyone tbh. They're computer guys whose companies were and probably still are each other's biggest direct rivals.

17 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Bullshit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombing_of_Tokyo

Best destroyer of Tokyo: America / 1923 Earthquake

Or this earthquake I suppose.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1923_Great_Kantō_earthquake

Godzilla has destroyed Tokyo numerous times. Get out of here with these one offs.

King Kong: Best skyscraper climber. No one has shit on him when it comes to that. 

6 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Godzilla has destroyed Tokyo numerous times. Get out of here with these one offs.

King Kong: Best skyscraper climber. No one has shit on him when it comes to that. 

LOL. What? King Kong got to the top of the Empire State Building. Do you know how many millions of human being have got to the top of taller skyscrapers than that ape?

Also, we all (all meaning me) saw the movie. After a little breather Godzilla beat the shit out of King Kong.

And Godzilla in turn was beat by America and the Earthquake.

Edited by A True Kaniggit

40 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

The thread isn’t about competency or whether they were actual inventors, it’s about fame and name recall so while I agree some of them are just businessmen and shit explorers, their fame lives on today unlike most of their competitors 

“…Ahead of the rest of their field…”

I thought it was common knowledge that Columbus was kind of a fuck up and Edison was more of a ruthless business man than a clever inventor. He electrocuted an elephant once in a pissing contest over alternating current. 

9 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Magellan: First Circumnavigator of Earth.

That's what I learned in school. Is that disputed?

He’s always credited as being the first, but since he was killed on the expedition and never made it back to Spain, I always wondered about that. His expedition was the first to successfully  circumnavigate the world, and he was the leader of the expedition.

Eta: I see @polishgenius has the same doubts!

Edited by Fragile Bird

7 minutes ago, Denvek said:

His expedition was the first, but the  man himself died before it finished so never got all the way round.

Thank you, thank you, and three times thank you. 

polishgenius and Fragile Bird typed the same thing.

Oddly enough, that wasn't what I was taught in school.

Slacker died before finishing the voyage.

Edit: Dammit Lousy-Anna Education.

40 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

LOL. What? King Kong got to the top of the Empire State Building. Do you know how many millions of human being have got to the top of taller skyscrapers than that ape?

Now you're just being ridiculous. No one could match his speed.

Also, we all (all meaning me) saw the movie. After a little breather Godzilla beat the shit out of King Kong.

And Godzilla in turn was beat by America and the Earthquake.

If you want to call Godzilla a complier, fine, but he wins the total count.

MacReady, first to figure out how to identify The Thing. 

16 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

MacReady, first to figure out how to identify The Thing. 

So? The Thing is the most ignorant intragalactic traveller ever.

It makes first contact on the ass end of a new planet and starts murdering people. 

The best hypothesis I have heard for The Thing's behavior is it is a biological weapon sent by an invading species but it went off target.

1 hour ago, SeanF said:

Julius Caesar (combined general/politician).

There have been great generals and great politicians, but not many people combine both skillsets.

He was a short lived politician who grabbed power after a civil war to became a power hungry dictator which immediately resulted in his assassination and chaos…I’d argue that Winston Churchill is an example of a great politician, and he did so while operating within an actual functioning democracy as well. Agree with the general part though.There have been plenty of politicians like Caesar in Africa and South America in the last 100 years causing coups and chaos, without Octavian’s genius the Roman Empire would’ve never been established. 

Edited by Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II

13 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Cleopatra.

Probably overrated, but definitely famous, definitely consequential in a world-historical sense, likely far more politically savvy than he had any business being.

More than either of her lovers for sure and a very rare example of a women ascending to a leadership position during that era. 

Edited by Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II

17 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

He was a short lived politician who grabbed power after a civil war to became a power hungry dictator which immediately resulted in his assassination and chaos…I’d argue that Winston Churchill is an example of a great politician, and he did so while operating within an actual functioning democracy as well. Agree with the general part though.There have been plenty of politicians like Caesar in Africa and South America in the last 100 years causing coups and chaos, without Octavian’s genius the Roman Empire would’ve never been established. 

True, but it’s the most famous.

Octavian was a far more skilful politician, and Agrippa was probably more talented than either man, but it’s Caesar who’s remembered.

Due in part, to his talent for self-promotion.

6 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

He was a short lived politician who grabbed power after a civil war to became a power hungry dictator which immediately resulted in his assassination and chaos…I’d argue that Winston Churchill is an example of a great politician, and he did so while operating within an actual functioning democracy as well. Agree with the general part though.There have been plenty of politicians like Caesar in Africa and South America in the last 100 years causing coups and chaos, without Octavians genius the Roman Empire would’ve never been established. 

He was Dictator for 5 years, but he was a significant player in Roman politics for decades. In a system as competitive and dysfunctional as the late republic, that's saying something. He was a brilliant politician and an extremely successful military leader. He was also an author who's writings are still read today.  He has a month named after him.

There is some speculation that he was aware of the assassination plot and let it play out due to his declining health. 

Churchill, when he was First Sea Lord of the Admiralty, was one of the architects of Galipoli, which was a disater. In the years before ww2, he favored building more ships whereas Chamberlain directed investment into spitfires and radar, which would come in handy during the battle of britain. 

Chamberlain is an interesting subject for this topic. 

1 hour ago, SeanF said:

True, but it’s the most famous.

Octavian was a far more skilful politician, and Agrippa was probably more talented than either man, but it’s Caesar who’s remembered.

Due in part, to his talent for self-promotion.

And being the one who won the civil was also helps. 

(Yeah, Octavian technically won two civil wars but I watched the HBO show and he was a jerk towards the end of it, why give that guy any credit?)