Baldur's Gate 3: Quicksave is my favourite spell

Luzifer's right hand

Had a couple of back to back boss fights out of which the Shar one in the house of grief was actually the hardest cause there were sooo many of them and they kept blinding me…The saravok one was easy, the Bhaal cultists were irritating cause they kept turning invisible but easy in the end and with Orin- My DU character literally one shoted her with a divine smite upcasted + critical hit lol.

Maybe it’s time to upgrade to Tactician mode ? In the house of hope now, and then finally gonna deal with Gortashs secret base. 

Finally replaced my trust EverBurn Blade with Saravoks weapon, man that was an OP weapon for being introduced so early in the game !

Edited by Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II

Taking out Sarevok *again* after I'd already dealt with his metallic arse in the first two BG games felt like sloppy, nostalgia-baiting writing that added very little. The inclusion of legacy characters and enemies is seriously not doing anything for me other than making me wish Obsidian could finish and release BG3: The Black Hound, as had originally been intended, and which they'd nearly finished. 

Have also finally hit the final "battleground" of the game, and oh lordy, getting serious Dragon Age: Origins PTSD from this non-stop combat bullshit. Wave after wave after wave of enemies. Jayzus f'n Murphy man, this is boring.

2 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

Taking out Sarevok *again* after I'd already dealt with his metallic arse in the first two BG games felt like sloppy, nostalgia-baiting writing that added very little. The inclusion of legacy characters and enemies is seriously not doing anything for me other than making me wish Obsidian could finish and release BG3: The Black Hound, as had originally been intended, and which they'd nearly finished. 

Have also finally hit the final "battleground" of the game, and oh lordy, getting serious Dragon Age: Origins PTSD from this non-stop combat bullshit. Wave after wave after wave of enemies. Jayzus f'n Murphy man, this is boring.

I haven’t played the other games but I really like Jaheira. The Minsk guy i don’t find funny and kinda obnoxious though.

13 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

I haven’t played the other games but I really like Jaheira. The Minsk guy i don’t find funny and kinda obnoxious though.

It all makes A LOT more sense if you play Baldur's Gate 1 and 2. 

Also, Larian couldn't get in touch with the actors who originally provided the voices for Jaheira and Minsc, so new actors have since taken over those two roles. So while you're hearing pretty good recreations of the voices provided originally by Jim Cummings and Heidi Shannon, they're still not Jim and Heidi.

10 hours ago, IlyaP said:

Taking out Sarevok *again* after I'd already dealt with his metallic arse in the first two BG games felt like sloppy, nostalgia-baiting writing that added very little. The inclusion of legacy characters and enemies is seriously not doing anything for me

I agree so strongly with this

Didn't like Sarevok appearing at all. Didn't even like it when he appeared in Throne of Bhaal. He was an epic villain but bringing him back just undermines what your character achieved in BG1.

Didn't like Minsc and Jaheira appearing either. Pure nostalgia bait. And I hate how they talk about the Bhaalspawn as if he's an afterthought. They were my best friends for three epic games (Throne of Bhaal is basically a game in itself).

I finally finished the game after a whopping 176 hours. Final Thoughts: 

1) I will now reflexively always say "Godsdammit" instead of "Godammit" in conversations

2) THIS is how you do a satisfying ending ! Cyberpunk 2077 could learn alot from this game about that. 

3)I romanced Shadow Heart but in the end was most emotionally affected by Karlachs arc- so well done

4)Ended up even liking Astarion by the end, great work in letting each character (except Minsk) have their moment and make them all enjoyable 

5) Was dissapointed we couldnt visit the Upper City- that being said i liked Act 3 the most. I agree the final battle was way too long winded especially since you summon allies and there are TONS of NPCs on screen which makes it slow paced as hell. 

6) Definitely my favourite game of 2023-24

I REALLY hope we get some kind of expansion- so many stories from the origin characters (especially Lazael) could have a follow up. That being said ill be happy to buy whatever Larian makes next. On to DOS2 for now !

Just a great first time CRPG experience with this game :)

I think they're similar in that most endings are horrendous tragedies to one degree or another. The difference is that you can get one optimal "happiest outcome" ending for BG3 which requires an almost absurd degree of threading the needle to get into that position.

2 minutes ago, Werthead said:

I think they're similar in that most endings are horrendous tragedies to one degree or another. The difference is that you can get one optimal "happiest outcome" ending for BG3 which requires an almost absurd degree of threading the needle to get into that position.

Kind of now makes me wonder which ending @Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II got...

7 hours ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

3)I romanced Shadow Heart but in the end was most emotionally affected by Karlachs arc- so well done

Had the exact same experience. 

I loved almost everything about the game.  But if I had to pick one thing that stood out above the rest, it would be Karlach's story.

7 hours ago, Ran said:

No.

I'll take CP77's final act any day over the drudgery and outdated mob-swarm of the final part of Act 3 (aka "Dragon Age: Origins Redux"), which led me to me reaching the brain stem, getting more random enemy assaults*, and throwing my hands up and saying "I'm done". And by all accounts, I'm missing nothing more than more mindless combat. Whereas I was given food for thought with the assault on Mikoshi and the aftermath, and the various dialogue choices with Johnny, V, Panam, Rogue, and Alt were all interesting, depending on who joined me. 

And at least their actions were consistent, unlike the Emperor, who petulantly says "no screw you guys!" if you dare to entertain releasing a guy who's been falsely imprisoned. (Jeezus Larian, between this, a borderline sociopathic mass-murdering vampire, emotionally unstable wannabe cosplayers from My Chemical Sharmance, an Illithid spymaster with control issues, and...Wyll, I'm not really sure that writing interesting characters is one of your strengths. Please call Obsidian for help.)

* When there are six seconds per turn and anywhere between 10-15 actors engaged in combat, this absolutely kills my engagement with the game as I twiddle my thumbs and wait and resultantly stare at the clock and watch yet another half-hour (if not more) drag by because Everything Is Taking So Goddamn Long. 

11 minutes ago, Whiskeyjack said:

Had the exact same experience. 

I loved almost everything about the game.  But if I had to pick one thing that stood out above the rest, it would be Karlach's story.

Ditto. I loved me my Karlach, she felt relatable. I liked her, and appreciated that at least she and Wyll weren't fucking psychopaths or egomaniacs, unlike everyone else that can join the party. Gale's an egomaniac, Astarion's a mass murderer, Lae'zel, Minthara, and Shadowheart are religious fanatics, and Minsc and Jaheira have no business being in this game. Leaving only Our Gal Karly and Well-Intentioned Wyll. 

I loved the gameplay loops, systems, music, art, and some of the designs in this game, but man, the character party options left me *cold* with the exception of Karlach and Wyll, and I'd much rather have preferred to have the ability to create my own party or obtain hirelings, like in NWN or Pillars. 

13 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

I loved the gameplay loops, systems, music, art, and some of the designs in this game, but man, the character party options left me *cold* with the exception of Karlach and Wyll, and I'd much rather have preferred to have the ability to create my own party or obtain hirelings, like in NWN or Pillars. 

You can get hirelings, one of every class, and can pick everything about them just like the others.

I don't know why you would want to do that when gale and astarion and shadowheart are pretty entertaining, and laezel is awesome, but you have that choice.

5 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

You can get hirelings, one of every class, and can pick everything about them just like the others.

Excellent! I never saw that option in-game, when I started.

5 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

I don't know why you would want to do that when gale and astarion and shadowheart are pretty entertaining, and laezel is awesome, but you have that choice.

I really didn't care much for the characters in the game, and it's entirely a subjective experience, but for this here gamer, I found most of them unpleasant or uninteresting. 

10 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

Excellent! I never saw that option in-game, when I started.

I really didn't care much for the characters in the game, and it's entirely a subjective experience, but for this here gamer, I found most of them unpleasant or uninteresting. 

Just curious because I think you mentioned you don't like the voice acting or don't see why it matters - are you playing the English version?

Because I get how a lot of the characters aren't nice at all - especially astarion - but they're also incredibly entertaining at times because of their voice work and acting. 

Like this.

1 minute ago, Kalbear said:

Just curious because I think you mentioned you don't like the voice acting or don't see why it matters - are you playing the English version?

Wasn't me who said that. Not sure who - but definitely not me. (I thought all the voice actors were exceptional, and I hope they all get more work as a result of the well-earned success of this game.)

1 minute ago, Kalbear said:

Because I get how a lot of the characters aren't nice at all - especially astarion - but they're also incredibly entertaining at times because of their voice work and acting. 

Wouldn't dispute or disagree with the above sentiment at all!