Israel-Hamas war 3

Varysblackfyre321

5 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

Ron DeSantis has cautioned against watching Al Jazeera coverage of the events, according to Al Jazeera.

Which is exactly what one should expect from Wrong DeSantis, right? 

And apparently the Israeli communications minister wants to shut it down.

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/israeli-communications-minister-seeks-shutdown-al-jazeera-bureau-2023-10-15/

1 minute ago, kissdbyfire said:

Which is exactly what one should expect from Wrong DeSantis, right? 

And apparently the Israeli communications minister wants to shut it down.

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/israeli-communications-minister-seeks-shutdown-al-jazeera-bureau-2023-10-15/

Not good if it gets shut down. Combined with the reported targeting of journalists by Israeli forces in this war and previous conflicts...

I hope people realize that Al-Jazeera is state-funded by Qatar. Qatar has a notorious relationship with Hamas. Indeed, two of Hamas's top leaders share something in common with Al-Jazeera: they too are based in Doha, the capital of Qatar.

Al-Jazeera does good reporting on areas of the Arab world, but anything where the interests of Qatar are implicated really should be treated with at least a modicum of caution. Al-Jazeera officially has editorial independence, but there's any number of instances where it seems that independence has been questionable at best.

To me, this is kind of like the RUptly situation. Al-Jazeera is a more genuine news agency, but it's got a Qatari slant on certain topics, like Hamas.

Shutting the bureau down does sound wrong, but the accusation that they're going out of their way to show where Israeli forces are deploying is worrisome. I would sooner suspect overzealous journalism over anything nefarious, though.

Edited by Ran

1 minute ago, Ran said:

I hope people realize that Al-Jazeera is state-funded by Qatar.

I think mostly everyone who uses that is aware of it. The issue is that because Gaza is closed, a lot of other news agencies don't have people there. And it's not just Al Jazeera that has supposedly been targeted by Israel. A Reuters worker was killed, Associated Press headquarters have been struck in the past, and recently BBC journalists were held at gunpoint by police in Israel.

Just now, Craving Peaches said:

Yeah, it is kind of suspicious. I've not seen glorification of Hamas or anything like that on Al Jazeera. They report on attacks on Israel too.

Yeah. I saw something yesterday where the journalist/anchor had someone from hamas and a former israeli gov. official on (separately), and he gave both a lot of pushback. It wasn't softball questions for the hamas guy and really tough ones for the former israeli gov official; he was tough on both and didn't let either get away w/ nonsense answers.

I looked into the Battle of Mosul, and there seems to be significant differences in the Iraq government's attitude to the civilians. I have not found any information that they actively tried to prevent civilians to leave, or that they bombed civilians as they fled to designated safe zones, or that aid organizations were prevented from providing food or water to the civilians.

But someone can enlighten me with sources that the Iraqi government actively did do these things, I would be happy to read them. Until then, my conclusion is that, yes, the majority of the civilians of Mosul luckily survived the ordeal, but that has nothing to do with what we are seeing now with Gaza.

Edited by dbergkvist

I would make a distinction between the English Al Jazeera which is aimed at a more western audience and Arabic Al Jazeera which is aimed at an Arabic audience. The English Channel is more like MSNBC in that it does have a certain bend but is mostly reliable and objective, while the Arabic one is more like Fox News, mainly a propaganda channel with objective news just as a side dish…

4 minutes ago, Bironic said:

I would make a distinction between the English Al Jazeera which is aimed at a more western audience and Arabic Al Jazeera which is aimed at an Arabic audience. The English Channel is more like MSNBC in that it does have a certain bend but is mostly reliable and objective, while the Arabic one is more like Fox News, mainly a propaganda channel with objective news just as a side dish…

I didn't know that but it makes sense.

22 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

I agree w/ what Ran and Peaches have said and will reinforce some: shutting down news outlets smells really bad. 

RT (Russia Today) has been banned in EU and Canada since the start of the Ukraine invasion, and EU and Canada aren't even direct parties in that conflict.

And of course Al Jazeera is propaganda whose reporting is slanted to serve Qatari interests, I've watched enough of it to come to that conclusion independently. As a reminder, Qatar is a major ally and financier of Muslim Brotherhood, of which Hamas is an offshoot, and they were suspected to have financed ISIS as well. I'm surprised they weren't banned in Israel long before this.

Edited by Gorn

1 minute ago, Gorn said:

RT (Russia Today) has been banned in EU and Canada since the start of the Ukraine invasion, and EU and Canada aren't even direct parties in that conflict.

This comparison doesn't make sense though, as it's not like Al Jazeera is being run by Hamas, unlike RT which is Russian state-controlled.

2 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

This comparison doesn't make sense though, as it's not like Al Jazeera is being run by Hamas, unlike RT which is Russian state-controlled.

Qatar is a major ally and financier of Hamas.

Just returned from vacation but these are my 2 cents:

Hamas brutally attacked Israel. Hamas rules in Gaza. Israel can bring war to Gaza.

this it what would happen in any conflict, one group attacks another and is attacked in turn.

I have no idea why somehow in Israels case, this seems unjust. Yes civilians, which have not elected the Hamas but are ruled by them, will suffer. As in any conflict.

but this is always the case in war (yes, war is bad, but this is always true)

Why are so many on this board denying the right of the Jews to self defense? should they just take the attack and be silent?

Please everyone, check if not deep inside , some of these discussions are antisemitic .

Just now, Gorn said:

Qatar is a major ally and financier of Hamas.

Just to be clear on this.  This is the same financing that Netanyahu approved of (i.e., that was previously discussed).

https://www.france24.com/en/middle-east/20231014-qatar-iran-turkey-and-beyond-the-galaxy-of-hamas-supporters

The funding was needed to prevent starvation.

As a general point, I know this is perfectly normal on any sort of discussion board, but it is a little frustrating that people seem to be more interesting in point scoring than actually relaying news.  It is hard to avoid our own biases from showing.

22 minutes ago, dbergkvist said:

I looked into the Battle of Mosul, and there seems to be significant differences in the Iraq government's attitude to the civilians.

Yes.  Culturally and religiously there are significant differences between Mosul and Gaza.  It doesn't mean that Israel can't succeed in its initial aims but the real question is whether it will be a permanent solution.  Because of those cultural/religious factors, I fear not.

4 minutes ago, JoannaL said:

Why are so many on this board denying the right of the Jews to self defense?

Where has anyone said this?

Everyone has been very clear that what Hamas did was wrong/barbaric/depraved and no one has said that Israel should sit around and do nothing. People have expressed concern for unjustified collective punishment of civilians in Gaza, and reported targeting of journalists and hospitals and evacuees, not the fact that Israel is going to attack Hamas. No one has said Israel shouldn't attack Hamas.

6 minutes ago, JoannaL said:

Who has denied Israel’s right to self-defence? 

6 minutes ago, JoannaL said:

Please everyone, check if not deep inside , some of these discussions are antisemitic .

I’d thread carefully with this type of inflammatory and, from what I’ve seen, totally misplaced accusation. 

4 minutes ago, JoannaL said:

Who has denied that?

21 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

I didn't know that but it makes sense.

Yeah it’s not specific Al Jeera.

Media companies tend to offer widely different coverage based on which audience they’re attempting to appeal.

Russian Media in Russia is non-stop we’re going to nuke Ukraine, we have to rebuild the empire,  the Jews will not replace us. Fuck x slur used for Ukrainians) Russian media for the Rest of the world is “Well due to NATO’s expansion and persecution of ethni minorities has compelled Russia to take some forceful action in the region”

If you want to better know a nation’s true ambitions listen to what their media is telling their people not what they’re telling you.

2 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

Where has anyone said this?

Everyone has been very clear that what Hamas did was wrong/barbaric/depraved and no one has said that Israel should sit around and do nothing. People have expressed concern for unjustified collective punishment of civilians in Gaza, and reported targeting of journalists and hospitals and evacuees, not the fact that Israel is going to attack Hamas. No one has said Israel shouldn't attack Hamas.

And yet the majority of comments refer to "civilians" in Gaza while never calling the dead in Israel "civilians."