Football: Guirassy-ing to victory

polishgenius

Bringing Mount on for Amrabat was a dreadful substitution. Dunno if Amrabat had an injury or it was just the yellow card, but replacing him with Mount and asking Eriksen to do his job was insane, was never gonna work, and didn't. 

Mainoo's in the squad. I dunno if he's ready for this, but what's the point of him being there if you don't use him? Playing from the back under pressure is his entire specialty and he can defend a bit. It'd have been a gamble, but at least it'd have been a gamble and not a completely foreseeable faceplant. 

Yeah I understand why people are calling for it but they shouldn't pull the trigger yet. He's making mistakes but he's also been lumped with a horrendous injury crisis and some bad luck. And even in the bad form there are improvements in individual players, certain aspects of team play, and decisions that make sense even if they're against the grain. Like getting McTominay close to Hojlund is a decision that makes sense in the current situation. We're not able to make use of it for a few separate reasons but we have made the link between defence and midfield more compact, which is keeping us in games even when not controlling them as such. And he's making good calls in the likes of trusting Maguire, which is mostly paying off, but clearly binning off VDB even though he was a former favourite. 

Even today- Antony is a favourite of his too but today got dropped. Okay, Bruno instead of him didn't pay off and I don't love Bruno there even though I wanted him to try it initially, but it wasn't a nonsensical decision.

He deserves to be given the chance to see if he can bring it together once most of the squad is back. 

Also Rashford's scoring is a concern but his overall form hasn't collapsed like it usally does when his scoring disappears, and that's a massive credit.

But he did faceplant today. Like our players were embarrassing at the end but really that's all on ETH. 

He wasn'T that horrible at PSG. He wasn't meeting expectations, but that was more an expectations being quite high thing. And then he won the World Cup.

While I also think Messi is an unconvincing choice, I wouldn't have been too happy with Haaland winning it either.

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

Didn't watch it in Qatar, won't watch it in Saudi Arabia.

Imagine the glory of lifting the World Cup in a historical footballing city like Rome Montevideo London Sao Paulo Doha!

Tbf, Argentina looked no less ecstatic at winning the world cup in Qatar than, say, Germany did winning the world cup in Brazil.

Television viewership numbers were not negatively impacted either; on the contrary, Qatar 2022 set record viewing numbers. Seems the overwhelming majority are happy to tune in and don't really give much of a shit where the tournament is actually held.