Trailer Thread

AncalagonTheBlack

Civil War is an upcoming action film written and directed by Alex Garland. The film stars Kirsten Dunst, Wagner Moura, Stephen McKinley Henderson, Cailee Spaeny, Jesse Plemons, and Nick Offerman. The film follows a team of journalists who travel across the United States during the rapidly escalating Second American Civil War, which has engulfed the entire nation

Edited by AncalagonTheBlack

Not a trailer, but concept art for a Batman Beyond animated film. Looks like their take on an Into the Spider-Verse style feature. Apparently a very small chance it could still happen.

Borderlands is an upcoming American science fiction action comedy film directed by Eli Roth, who co-wrote the screenplay with Joe Crombie, based on the video game series of the same name developed by Gearbox Software.

Cast

Additionally, Penn Jillette has a cameo in the film as a preacher overseeing a wedding, after voicing Pain in the video game Borderlands 3 (2019).

Edited by AncalagonTheBlack

21 minutes ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Borderlands is an upcoming American science fiction action comedy film directed by Eli Roth, who co-wrote the screenplay with Joe Crombie, based on the video game series of the same name developed by Gearbox Software.

Cast

Additionally, Penn Jillette has a cameo in the film as a preacher overseeing a wedding, after voicing Pain in the video game Borderlands 3 (2019).

Well at least Claptrap is as annoying and unfunny as he is in the games, so they got that part right.

22 minutes ago, Myrddin said:

How is Cate Blanchet in that?

She worked with Roth (and Jack Black) before in The House With a Clock In Its Walls, which was a hit. So maybe she liked the experience, plus, you know, money. Roth is coming off his best directorial streak in years, with that film, a well-received shark documentary he documented called Fin, and last year's horror film Thanksgiving. But there's a lot of garbage in his past, too.

My understanding is that Borderlands has a very crass, vulgar, toilet humor sensibility, very "meme" focused, and that seems to be what the film intends to deliver (plus over-the-top action and bright, colorful character designs).

Edited by Ran

Borderlands was huge about a decade ago, but the hype has well and truly left the building since then. It's interesting this keeps happening, the WarCraft movie came out about 10 years past the franchise's best, the AssCreed movie as well.

20 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Borderlands was huge about a decade ago, but the hype has well and truly left the building since then.

To be fair like Borderlands 3 - from 2019 - sold pretty similarly to Borderlands 2- faster off the mark, though as far as I can tell tailed off a bit quicker (but still hit at least 18mil, per wikipedia). 

A quick google suggests that Take-Two are building up to potentially announce Borderlands 4 in the next week or two, albeit the game itself may not be due for a few years. So there might be a new wave of hype coming that they want to build off. 

29 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

To be fair like Borderlands 3 - from 2019 - sold pretty similarly to Borderlands 2- faster off the mark, though as far as I can tell tailed off a bit quicker (but still hit at least 18mil, per wikipedia). 

A quick google suggests that Take-Two are building up to potentially announce Borderlands 4 in the next week or two, albeit the game itself may not be due for a few years. So there might be a new wave of hype coming that they want to build off. 

Borderlands 2 has sold 26 million copies and I think was very much a bigger deal in 2012 versus Borderlands 3 in 2019, which was much less talked-about and seemed to be much more flash in the pan, not to mention the hardcore fanbase seemed to be disappointed in it (whilst it still sold very well). The franchise still has a fanbase and is still selling, even if it's mainly been ticking by on spin-off projects for quite some time, but then AssCreed still sells loads even as a lot of people agree it's either past its best or at least past the highpoint of its cultural impact.

Certainly now would be a great time to announce Borderlands 4.

On 2/22/2024 at 4:08 AM, Ran said:

I've heard the gunplay in Borderlands is pretty good.

I’ve only played Borderlands 2, but it’s like a 10 hour game that’s been stretched over 40+ hours. The gun variety was okay but it suffers from all enemies being bullet sponges and the humour just didn’t land for me, without which there really isn’t any story and it gets boring very quickly then. 

On 2/22/2024 at 4:37 AM, Werthead said:

Borderlands 2 has sold 26 million copies and I think was very much a bigger deal in 2012 versus Borderlands 3 in 2019, which was much less talked-about and seemed to be much more flash in the pan, not to mention the hardcore fanbase seemed to be disappointed in it (whilst it still sold very well). The franchise still has a fanbase and is still selling, even if it's mainly been ticking by on spin-off projects for quite some time, but then AssCreed still sells loads even as a lot of people agree it's either past its best or at least past the highpoint of its cultural impact.

Certainly now would be a great time to announce Borderlands 4.

Also like AC, this series has stopped innovating since the second game lol 

I dunno I didn’t play 2 but I did play 1 back in the day and 3 has been great. From what I’ve watched and read 2 had a better story than 3, but 3s gameplay and diversity of loot is better. Anyway been having a blast playing couch coop with my son the last couple months.

And we’re both looking forward to the movie. He even commented on age of Lillith. I don’t mind since I like Cate and Curtis. Anyway should be fun and as long as the actors buy into the crazy shit they’re doing ill be happy with it.

Edited by Arakasi

Based on Astrid Lindgren's beloved Ronja rövardotter, this is a new Swedish adaptation that had a bit of a troubled production history, with the production company and backers basically running out of money to complete it. Netflix appears to have swooped in and bought it out to finish it, with the first six episodes releasing in March 28 and the back half later in the year.

Linda and I kept an eye on it in part because some of the filming took place at Bohus fortress, which is a local historic site. (We do not have waterfalls like that in our area, though. Probably someplace more inland or further north.)

It's been adapted a few times before, in particular a 1984 Swedish film that's quite beloved (and was the top-grossing film of the year in Sweden, while also winning a Silver Bear at the Berlin International Film Festival), and the 2014 Japanese anime adaptation directed by Goro Miyazaki (son of Hayao Miyazaki).

ETA: Here's a work-in-progress stamped trailer that Viaplay (network and streamer that was providing the funding that had to pull out due to financial issues) released last year with some additional clips that give more of a sense of what's going on in the film:

Edited by Ran