Football: VARying degrees of dissatisfaction inside.

A Horse Named Stranger

I caught True Geordie's rant on Klopp on YouTube, and it was laughable. He's says that refs called everything for Liverpool while my impression was that almost every single 50-50 call went Newcastle's way. Of course, that's easily explained by supporters' bias and nothing wrong with that. Every single one of us has been "guilty" of that.

What really annoyed though me was how he completely overlooked how Joelinton got away with fouling Jota from behind when ref allowed Liverpool the advantage but didn't come back and book Joelinton, which would have been his second yellow. Also, after one foul Longstaff ran up to VanDijk and pushed him with both arms right in front of the ref which would also have been his second yellow but ref ignored it.

Now, there's one thing being annoyed with refs and calling them incompetent. That's another thing every single one of us have been "guilty" of. But when he's crying that refs are, and I quote, borderline corrupt and calling everything against his team when they've let at least one, if not two, players stay on the pitch when they should've been sent off, that's when I call bullshit.

Btw, have any explanations been offered as to why we were being shown images of a single player during VAR decisions instead of at least two whose positions have been compared to determine whether it was offside. Also, quality of these images has been piss poor, not sure what could've been decided on that. Having one goal aside disallowed for offside on such close margins based on images that looked as if they were taken with a potato doesn't fill anyone with confidence that the system is working fine.

Hopefully semi-automated offside technology comes in next season. Enough clubs need to be on board though. The decision to use semi-automated offsides for this season didn't even make it onto the agenda of the Premier League's AGM last June. The 20 clubs unanimously decided that they didn't need to discuss the new tech in depth.

Edited by Consigliere

Well, always remember, in a few years our BFC will join that true geordie crew, when he retires from the force (as they say).

I firmly believe it's either that, or he will open up a tea shop. Copper's Cuppa. (yes, I just wanted to get this silly Copper's Cuppa joke in).

Just to point out again, supporters' bias is a thing, it's understandable, it's to be expected and usually it's fine. It just needs to be held in check and not allowed to escalate this far.

To be honest, his main point was that Klopp is an asshole for behaving the way he has in communication with refs and he is right about that up to a point, but there's no way Klopp's behaviour affects refs' calls as much as he thinks it is.

Also, if he were even remotely realistic, he would at least mention Newcastle shouldn't have ended that match with 11 players on the field. Even Howe was aware of that which is why he subbed Joelinton so quickly after that foul, to at least not be a man down in case VAR goes back and check that foul.

Silly from DCL to have studs up there. 

Still ... 99 minutes  and Palace didn't look like scoring. So that's something. Now, all we need is for McNeill not to be seriously injured (unlikely), and somehow find a way to score ourselves soon.

Given our luck of the draw this year (Dortmund, Milan, PSG, man utd, man city, Chelsea, Sunderland away) I expect us to get 1970 Brazil, 1950s Hungary or Peps Barcelona in next round. 

Edited by BigFatCoward

Considering Liverpool are already well positioned in the LC and EL, and the top challenger to City in the PL, I think we should just rotate heavily in the FA Cup and let the kids have a day trip to north London.  I really doubt that Klopp will do that but it just shows that we’ve learnt nothing from the quadruple chase two seasons ago.  Fatigue always catches up with us, especially compared to City’s squad depth.

2 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Considering Liverpool are already well positioned in the LC and EL, and the top challenger to City in the PL, I think we should just rotate heavily in the FA Cup and let the kids have a day trip to north London.  I really doubt that Klopp will do that but it just shows that we’ve learnt nothing from the quadruple chase two seasons ago.  Fatigue always catches up with us, especially compared to City’s squad depth.

At the same time though it could be a good test for Klopp to gauge his attacking trio without Salah.