Football: VARying degrees of dissatisfaction inside.

A Horse Named Stranger

This is a sneakily tough game for us. Bournemouth are one of the form teams in the league since they got used to Iraola’s tactics and we’re missing our four most creative players in Alexander-Arnold, Salah, Robertson and Szoboszlai. It does look like we’re missing those players though, it’s going reasonably well until the final third and then we’re not really creating clear cut chances.

21 minutes ago, The Sunland Lord said:

Is this the year where Kane goes to Bayern to win trophies and they skip to win any after 11 years?

That would be funny.

But, I still expect Leverkusen to fade during the second half of the season. Plus, the history of Leverkusen is more Spursy than Spurs. There's a reason they're known as Neverkusen.

25 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

That would be funny.

But, I still expect Leverkusen to fade during the second half of the season. Plus, the history of Leverkusen is more Spursy than Spurs. There's a reason they're known as Neverkusen.

So it would be poetic justice if he loses his craved silverware to the German counterpart of Tottenham!

23 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

That would be funny.

Vizekusen actually, which would be more accurately translated as second kusen. But that was a glorious year. They had an excellent team. Lucio in defense. Ballack pulling the strings in midfield (plus Schneider for the creative spark). Upfront they had prolific goalscorer in Kirsten and also Berbatov (or was it Voronin?). They fumbled a five point lead with three games to go in the league (plus massive edge in GD). Then they lost the Cup final and the CL final.

The years before were even worse. In 2000 they fumbled the league on the last day, with Emerson breaking down exclaiming they'd never, never win a title. He himself had seen enough and buggered off to Roma to win the league with them.

6 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Vizekusen actually, which would be more accurately translated as second kusen. But that was a glorious year. They had an excellent team. Lucio in defense. Ballack pulling the strings in midfield (plus Schneider for the creative spark). Upfront they had prolific goalscorer in Kirsten and also Berbatov (or was it Voronin?). They fumbled a five point lead with three games to go in the league (plus massive edge in GD). Then they lost the Cup final and the CL final.

The years before were even worse. In 2000 they fumbled the league on the last day, with Emerson breaking down exclaiming they'd never, never win a title. He himself had seen enough and buggered off to Roma to win the league with them.

It was Berbatov.

1 minute ago, Wilbur said:

Another bizarro performance from VAR for that studs-up challenge on Luis Diaz' shin/knee in the first half at Bournemouth.

No whistle, not even a free kick, no VAR feedback - silence.

A lot of people are pointing out the similarity with the Curtis Jones red against Spurs and I have to agree with that. Since I didn’t think that was a red it’s hard to get too up in arms about Kluivert not getting one. Some consistency would be nice though.

I definitely thought this was a potential banana skin so this is a really good win. Nunez picking up a couple of goals is a bonus too.

1 hour ago, The Sunland Lord said:

So it would be poetic justice if he loses his craved silverware to the German counterpart of Tottenham!

He might miss out for one season but he'll definitely bag himself a few league titles during his contract. Joining Bayern in pursuit of silverware was the correct decision regardless of what happens this season.

1 hour ago, ljkeane said:

A lot of people are pointing out the similarity with the Curtis Jones red against Spurs and I have to agree with that. Since I didn’t think that was a red it’s hard to get too up in arms about Kluivert not getting one. Some consistency would be nice though.

It may or may not be a red card, but it definitely was at least a yellow, and I doubt that even in Kluivert's wildest dreams he couldn't hope to get without a foul even.

I really try to avoid "refs are against my team" mentality since refs are making mistakes that harm all teams, and I'd rather chalk it up to incompetence rather than malice, but as time goes on and these incidents keep happening and nothing is being done about it it's becoming increasingly difficult to believe in referees' good intentions.

It is one of those lack-of-action actions from VAR that make you wonder if the VAR official was in the lavatory for a quick call of nature at the time?

Because surely otherwise the whole reason for the existence of the function is to MAKE THAT CALL to the official and have them look at that play.  They are being paid to sit there and watch the match, and to fail in this basic function is inexcusable.

That was a tough fixture: away to an in-form opponent in bad weather conditions with a lot of players missing — particularly the creative ones.  And it showed in the first half, but then a tronger and more clinical in the second half, which has been the theme of this season.  Some of that is tactical adjustments at half time to the latest parked bus, some of that is strong attacking substitutes against tired legs.  The forwards looked like strangers until it started to click.

Curtis Jones picked up a hamstring strain, in addition to Trent, Szoboszlai and Salah.  The fatigue injuries are mounting now, in addition to the usual slate of impact, long-term and unlucky injuries.  We’re seeing more and more youth players filling in now.

Salah's strain might be a blessing for you tho.

Him missing games with Egypt increases the chances of them exiting early, and thus him getting back sooner than expected. While you have a lot of options in attack, Salah is Salah.

Endo's Japan will very likely go the distance. Australia will also probably be playing more games in the Asia cup, which is kinda annoying, as I'd very much like to have Jackson and Connor back.

12 hours ago, baxus said:

I really try to avoid "refs are against my team" mentality since refs are making mistakes that harm all teams, and I'd rather chalk it up to incompetence rather than malice, but as time goes on and these incidents keep happening and nothing is being done about it it's becoming increasingly difficult to believe in referees' good intentions.

isn't it a universal truth that big teams get decisions more than not across all sports/leagues?

Rumours that we are going to have to sell Bruno and Isak to balance our books show how utterly stupid FFP is. 

We haven't spent insane money, every player we have bought is worth more than we paid, we have developed what we did have in house already, we qualified for the champions league pretty much at the first time of asking, but we will have to sell while city and chelsea and man utd spend insane money indefinitely to ensure its impossible to break into the top 6 long term.  This has nothing to do with sustainability and everything to do with keeping a closed shop.  

30 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

On the one hand that rumour seems like blatant bullshit with no credible source behind it, but on the other hand I will happily see us take Bruno off your hands. 

No problem, 120 million and he's yours, you can ruin him for a couple of years like most of your other big buys and then we'll have him back when our finances are sorted for about 40 million. 

If he is going i'd rather he went to Liverpool than anywhere, i think he gives them a realistic chance of competing with Man City repeatedly over next few years. 

Edited by BigFatCoward