Football: The long goodbye. tic-toc goes the Klopp.

29 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

fantastic news, dissent makes my skin crawl. 

I can see one obvious problem with the Blue Cards for dissent, though, and it is culture mismatches.

What a Scots or English player can say to a countryman ref without any significant notice will draw a card in the States.  Similarly, Spanish-language dialect differences mean that an off-hand remark in Mexican Spanish made to a Uruguayan ref will have the same effect.  Language usage is different enough that the refs will need to be cognizant of those differences and negotiate between usage and dissent.  Not every ref is all that intelligent.

Maybe this has changed a little bit over the past years with more cultural interchange, but back in the dark ages when I came back to the States for college, my roommate picked up a yellow in the first ten minutes of the first game of the season.  I was completely mystified, and only at half-time did I discover that effin' and jeffin' with the officials was considered dissent.  Soccer in the USA during the 1980s was a barren wilderness of knowledge and culture, let me tell you.

We'll be getting a lot of players staring murder at the refs for 10 minutes at a time in the coming years. :laugh: After several years of VAR, players still throw their hands in the air like idiots, slowing themselves down in the process, thinking that is the only way to get a ref's attention to a rule infringement. 

Sinbins are definitely going to be a problem for players who are good at riding the line with the referees by, effectively, moving the line. We're gonna see a lot of time-outs for the likes of Bruno Fernandes, Darwin Nunez, Bruno Guimaraes, Virgil Van Dyke, Emiliano Martinez, Alexis MacAllister, Rodri, TAA, Richarlison, and Wataru Endo. 

Sin bins should be a good addition. Obviously the weak link is going to be the application. To stamp down on dissent, this would need to be strictly and consistently applied. There should be additional measures put in place as well to really clamp down on dissent imo - a review panel to hand out retrospective suspensions in cases where the ref fails to issue a blue card when he should have and points deductions for clubs when they hit a certain threshold for their players being booked for dissent. When blue cards do eventually come in at the top level, the other rule under consideration (i.e. only captains are allowed to speak to the ref about decisions) needs to come in at the same time as well - no more crowding the ref.

Edited by Consigliere

One issue with the 10 minute sinbin is that the 4th official will have to take charge of that and how exact is it going to be. I don't see the main official managing several players at a time in a match, each one with different end times for their suspension, and being able to keep it exact. You'll get people mad for not being allowed back in after their time is up down to the second.

23 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

One issue with the 10 minute sinbin is that the 4th official will have to take charge of that and how exact is it going to be. I don't see the main official managing several players at a time in a match, each one with different end times for their suspension, and being able to keep it exact. You'll get people mad for not being allowed back in after their time is up down to the second.

I can think of a few reasons why sin bins would be tricky to manage, but this isn't one of them. Either the fourth official or an extra official specifically there for that will handle keeping track of who's got how long (which, you know, will probably be done mostly by tapping a touchpad screen), and coming back on will be handled the same way as after off-pitch injury treatment- at the referee's discretion in the first available moment after the ten minutes. Which does sometimes generate a little bit of controversy but isn't distorting games or causing any significant fallout very often. 

Yeah, it's a shame. Wonderful player but unfortunately he's held together with tape. We bought him with the understanding that he was going to be fairly regularly picking up injuries but for him to miss basically the last year and a half of his 3 year contract is definitely at the worse end of the scale for how it could have gone.

1 hour ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Very sad way for a wonderful player to end his career imo. But then again, we all had serious doubts about his legs being made for Klopp football, back when he signed.

Was he a Klopp signing or committee signing ? Either way very daft.

On some levels his signing made sense, you moved a bit away from the pure school of counter-press to a more controlling style, and Thiago with his incredible passing range could help you either by spliting long  balls in quick transitions or with just slowing down the play by either holding on to the ball or playing quick short passes. The big downside were the questions about his injury proneness. Skillwise he was worldclass, if only he could stay fit. The Spanish team could've used him, too.

Yeah it's not as if Pep doesn't ask his midfielders to be intense and even though he's always been injury prone he played a decent amount in most of his seasons at Bayern (and indeed his first two for Liverpool even though he wasn't really up to pace). 

Honestly think there's a decent chance Covid fucked him. That disease is fucking weird. 

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

12/6 is not a close vote, or is it a 2/3 majority thing? 

Yeah, 2/3rds majority. Normally a minimum of 14 out of 20 votes are needed but since two clubs abstained, a minimum of 12 out of 18 votes were needed.