Rings of Power 5: I Will Take the Thread to Reddit

HexMachina

48 minutes ago, KingAerys_II said:

Full on vengeance : the famous Fingolfin rage when he challenged Morgoth in single combat and Eol the dark elf , that despised the Noldor for the first kinslaying but married a Noldor princess

By full-on I meant over much of the book. Feanor pulling a sword on his half-brother Fingolfin even before Morgoth stole the Silmaril.

Numerous acts of elf-on-elf slaughter.

Eol trying to kill his son but instead killing his (reluctant) wife.

Not to mention the bulk of the story os about elven wrath and vengeance, pursuing Morgoth to Middle-Earth.

13 minutes ago, KingAerys_II said:

Feanor sons and Eol, but Galadriel belongs to the House of Finarfin, so she belongs to the wisest House, the tv series character seems a badly written Eol

We’ve already pointed out Galadriel’s queationabke 1st age wisdom.

And you said the behaviur wasn’t elf-like, which it is based on the Silmarillion

53 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

We’ve already pointed out Galadriel’s queationabke 1st age wisdom.

And you said the behaviur wasn’t elf-like, which it is based on the Silmarillion

She was already perfect, she was selfless , wise, intelligent, in Lotr book she proved to be frightening during the meeting with Frodo, she was able to create white mist to help the allies and she created the famous phial that Sam used to defeat Shelob, she destroyed the fortress of Dol Guldur at the time of the siege of Gondor

1 hour ago, KingAerys_II said:

She was already perfect, she was selfless , wise, intelligent, in Lotr book she proved to be frightening during the meeting with Frodo, she was able to create white mist to help the allies and she created the famous phial that Sam used to defeat Shelob, she destroyed the fortress of Dol Guldur at the time of the siege of Gondor

She was not perfect!

And thee’s a whole age between RoP Galadriel and LotR Galadriel. 

11 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

She was not perfect!

And thee’s a whole age between RoP Galadriel and LotR Galadriel. 

She was about 6000 years old at the time of the rings, the journey into the Helcaraxe was necessary , the House of Fingolfin led the siege of Angband until Glaurung came out with the balrogs, if I don't make mistakes , Angrod and Aegnor, Galadriel brothers ,died during the battle of the sudden flame.

The Noldor were necessary in Middle earth

7 hours ago, KingAerys_II said:

She was about 6000 years old at the time of the rings, the journey into the Helcaraxe was necessary , the House of Fingolfin led the siege of Angband until Glaurung came out with the balrogs, if I don't make mistakes , Angrod and Aegnor, Galadriel brothers ,died during the battle of the sudden flame.

The Noldor were necessary in Middle earth

Her father… the wisest of the Noldor… stayed in Valinor.  Why was the choice to cross the Helcaraxe “wise”?

Edited by Ser Scot A Ellison

7 hours ago, Slurktan said:

I take it you've never read the Silmarillion then.

Based on previous interactions, what texts do you think he's been reading? The unfinished tales? The 13 (was it 13?) History of Middle-earth books? Or something else?

Middle earth was already populated before the flight of Noldor.
Elu Thingol founded the Doriath,  the elves led by Thingol and the dwarves defeated an army of orcs in the first battle against Morgoth force, but it was an army of orcs and werewolves, it's different when dragons and balrogs are involved in the battle.
Who killed Gothmog? Echtelion, a Noldor
Who killed Ancalagon? Earendil , half Noldor
The Noldor re-forged Anglechiel , Turin used the sword to kill Glaurung.
The Silmarils , created by a Noldor , were necessary to produce the light of the trees.

8 hours ago, IlyaP said:

Based on previous interactions, what texts do you think he's been reading? The unfinished tales? The 13 (was it 13?) History of Middle-earth books? Or something else?

Some sort of wiki I would guess.  He's missing a large point of the text.

2 hours ago, KingAerys_II said:

Middle earth was already populated before the flight of Noldor.
Elu Thingol founded the Doriath,  the elves led by Thingol and the dwarves defeated an army of orcs in the first battle against Morgoth force, but it was an army of orcs and werewolves, it's different when dragons and balrogs are involved in the battle.
Who killed Gothmog? Echtelion, a Noldor
Who killed Ancalagon? Earendil , half Noldor
The Noldor re-forged Anglechiel , Turin used the sword to kill Glaurung.
The Silmarils , created by a Noldor , were necessary to produce the light of the trees.

Why does Gothmog need to be killed?  He did nothing vs the Sindar or even Men for that matter

Why does Ancalagal exist?  To fight the Noldor.

Any sword could have killed Glaurung, he literally impaled himself on it. Besides which the sword didn't get any magic powers from the Noldor it already had it, they just made it sharper.

The silmarils captured the light of the trees.  They were never necessary for the trees to produce their light.

8 hours ago, KingAerys_II said:

I forgot Fingolfin, who crippled Morgoth in single combat.

Morgoth turned some Avari into Orcs , and some ents in trolls , his purpose was the destruction of Middle earth including Sindar, dwarves , ents and other creatures.

Had the Noldor not gone to Middle-Earth, the Valar would likely have intervened sooner. Instead they stayed their hand to punish the Noldor, per Mandos’ curse

47 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Had the Noldor not gone to Middle-Earth, the Valar would likely have intervened sooner. Instead they stayed their hand to punish the Noldor, per Mandos’ curse

Exactly. The destruction of the Two Trees and Morgoth betraying their trust would have been answered. I think the Valar would have had to be more careful on how they intervened, though, since they couldn't just go like in the War of the Powers again with so many Elves (and Dwarves) living relatively close to Morgoth's power center.

"No-one ever said elves are nice. Elves are bad." 

That's a direct quote from the greatest writer of fantasy and he should know so ner-ner-ner to the misread Tolkien fanboy. 

edit: I just realised I made basically the same joke in the last thread. I'm losing it. 

Edited by polishgenius

The first war against Morgoth reshaped Arda, elves and dwarves wouldn't have had chance to survive to such event , then the Valar had no more the light of the trees and Ungoliant became very powerful after eating the trees vitality

Edited by KingAerys_II