UK politics - not inspiring but effective

BigFatCoward

So labour overturned 2 massive majorities, one by the biggest ever post war swing. I know some idealists want Labour to be more proactive but why right now? Let's kerb stomp them at the election and worry about policies later. 

One of the constituencies borders JRM seat, could you imagine the look on that dementors face on election night if he loses, it would make Portillo seem like a minor event. 

3 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

One of the constituencies borders JRM seat, could you imagine the look on that dementors face on election night if he loses, it would make Portillo seem like a minor event. 

Due to boundary changes, a part of Kingswoid will actually be in JRM’s seat at the next election 

I have to say, resurrecting the commuter rail line naming fracas from the previous threat, If you are going to name a rail line after an international female sports team why not go to a real women's sport: Rugby. And I defy anyone to say the top international women's teams don't play with recognisable skill. The Black Ferns v Red Roses World Cup final was fookin' brilliant.

1 hour ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I have to say, resurrecting the commuter rail line naming fracas from the previous threat, If you are going to name a rail line after an international female sports team why not go to a real women's sport: Rugby. And I defy anyone to say the top international women's teams don't play with recognisable skill. The Black Ferns v Red Roses World Cup final was fookin' brilliant.

They lost. And the line goes through wembley, not Twickenham. 

I see that JRM(?) has said the low turnout (low but not abnormally so) is what caused the swing - which seems... optimistic, given the labour scandals in the lead-up to polling; and the fact that if both had had the 40% turnout threshold, and had every single one of those extra voters voted tory, they'd still have lost both seats.

Edited by Which Tyler

1 hour ago, Which Tyler said:

I see that JRM(?) has said the low turnout (low but not abnormally so) is what caused the swing - which seems... optimistic, given the labour scandals in the lead-up to polling; and the fact that if both had had the 40% turnout threshold, and had every single one of those extra voters voted tory, they'd still have lost both seats.

“We’d have won, except for the minor technicality that people didnt vote for us!”

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2024/feb/20/striking-doctors-itv-breathtaking-nhs-covid

No sympathy for striking doctors? Watch ITV’s Breathtaking and ask: have we paid our debt to them?

The Covid drama should do for NHS staff what Mr Bates did for Post Office victims. We made promises – I can’t say we kept them

When Dr Rachel Clarke first started writing down her experiences of working on a Covid-19 ward, she never meant to make them public. Scribbled at her kitchen table, mostly in the middle of the night when she was too stressed to sleep, her notes were originally intended as a kind of private therapy: a place to process all the horrors she felt she couldn’t talk about, or not to anyone who hadn’t been there.

ARTICLE CONTINUES

Another imminent by-election?

Scott Benton lost his appeal 

https://news.sky.com/story/politics-live-lord-david-cameron-vows-to-help-protect-falklands-during-visit-to-islands-12593360?postid=7258517#liveblog-body

edit: name correction

Edited by Derfel Cadarn

7 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Wrong Benton...

Not wanting to make this about a not a true scottman argument, however...

...I assume you are talking about Scott Benton?

Yeah, he's about as 'cleared' as much as Boris Johnson was 'cleared' by the Met and Special Branch failing to investigate his law breaking and actual treason.

Edited by Spockydog

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

https://www.itv.com/news/london/2024-02-21/dan-wootton-cleared-as-police-forces-decide-to-take-no-further-action

Dan Wootton ‘completely cleared’ by police as two forces decide to take no further action

I’m sure this is causing quite a stir somewhere close

He’s still under investigation re a separate historical matter by Police Scotland according to BBC

‘The police are controlled by the powerful Woottonati, a powerful secret cabal of z list gossip columnists from minor news channels. That can be the only explanation’

Read about it tomorrow in respected ‘news’ outfit, Byline Times.

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

https://www.itv.com/news/london/2024-02-21/dan-wootton-cleared-as-police-forces-decide-to-take-no-further-action

Dan Wootton ‘completely cleared’ by police as two forces decide to take no further action

I’m sure this is causing quite a stir somewhere close

It was established no criminal offence had occurred, not that he hadn't done what was alleged, not the same thing. 

You can be a vile cunt and not a criminal. 

2 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Looks like Lindsay Hoyle has properly stacked it today. 

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2024/feb/21/commons-speaker-issues-apology-after-gaza-ceasefire-debate-descends-into-chaos

Hoyle said later he had been persuaded to allow both amendments because of threats to the personal safety of many MPs.

This bit seems to have just gone unnoticed in the reporting. How can we be in a situation where MPs are voting out of fear for their lives?