UK politics - not inspiring but effective

BigFatCoward

30 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

You mean bias towards the truth?

This is pretty much the most basic logical fallacy there is; you’re pre-supposing you’re right. It’s the truth to you because you already think it’s the truth. 

Anyone use Ground News at all? I like the concept but I’ve been trialing it for a month now, and for some reason I just don’t gel with it. I want to want to use it but I tend not to. Not all that impressed with Apple News either, which frustratingly skews whichever way I happen to have been clicking recently. I still generally stick with the BBC website for a roughly centrist, quick top 5 news stories of the day and then don’t delve any further. The Today program on the way to work is still my chief source of news.

Just now, DaveSumm said:

This is pretty much the most basic logical fallacy there is; you’re pre-supposing you’re right. It’s the truth to you because you already think it’s the truth.

No, it's the truth because these organizations do not go out of their way to propagate lies.

I'll say the same thing to you - show me the examples.

The bias vs truth and integrity thing again. Every person intelligent enough and informed enough to have an opinion about something is biased. The question for media and journalistic integrity is if you support your bias with well contextualised facts, or if you mislead and lie to support your bias.

I don't know if Ground News (for examples) does proper fact checking, but if they only put articles on a subject on a right/left bias spectrum they are not really addressing the fundamental problem in media which is honesty and integrity, y'know that quaint concept of journalistic ethics.

Edited by The Anti-Targ

30 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

There is virtually no news outlet anywhere in the world that is 100% bias-free. 
I’m fine w/ that. The problem is when news outlets blatantly lie, misrepresent & distort everything to feed their viewers’ own biases and preconceived notions.

It also helps that (unlike some other outlets) The Guardian doesn't feel beholden to any economic or political interests. They may have a clear left-wing bias, but their agenda is their own. They often disagree with and criticise Labour.

4 minutes ago, Mentat said:

It also helps that (unlike some other outlets) The Guardian doesn't feel beholden to any economic or political interests. They may have a clear left-wing bias, but their agenda is their own. They often disagree with and criticise Labour.

The Guardian seems pretty balanced and fact based in my experience.

But not so long ago, we had the BBC's political editor being caught doctoring a video interview with the leader of the opposition.

She asked him one question, then edited the video to show his answer to a completely different question.

And, unquestionably, twenty or thirty years ago, any BBC political editor caught pulling such a stunt would have not remained the BBC political editor for very long afterwards.

This one got her own show.

21 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

The bias vs truth and integrity thing again. Every person intelligent enough and informed enough to have an opinion about something is biased. The question for media and journalistic integrity is if you support your bias with well contextualised facts, or if you mislead and lie to support your bias.

Sure, the point I’m getting at here isn’t whether the Guardian has more integrity than Fox, it obviously does.

The point is that if you only consume The Guardian as your source of news you will come away with a pretty skewed version of the world and current events.

The unfortunate thing is that lots of right wing media just isn’t very good, and has real issues with the truth. Left wing media does often conform to higher standards, but that doesn’t automatically mean the way it reports events is ‘the truth’

I’d imagine that isn’t revelatory to most people, but it still surprises me how often members of this board demonstrate a clear inability to consider the other side of an argument, almost as if they really do only consume The Guardian and Channel 4.

Edited by Heartofice

12 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

But not so long ago, we had the BBC's political editor being caught doctoring a video interview with the leader of the opposition.

She asked him one question, then edited the video to show his answer to a completely different question.

And, unquestionably, twenty or thirty years ago, any BBC political editor caught pulling such a stunt would have not remained the BBC political editor for very long afterwards.

This one got her own show.

Name and number for non-Brits?

Edited by Snowy89

The fact that left-leaning media has significantly less need to resort to lies and mis-representation of facts should be somewhat instructive to those of a more right-leaning persuasion. That perhaps objective truth is more often on the side of left/progressive perspectives and perhaps one might reconsider one's own leanings in light of the direction objective truth seems to point towards. An unwavering commitment to truth and the path it leads you down should eventually get everyone to more or less the same place. Search for truth without the least trace of love or hate in you heart, lest love incline you to error or hate blind you from the truth. Just don't seek truth from those who are already known to be deceitful.