Dating Thread: In Memoriam

1 hour ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

Part of it is she's just really protective of her kid. Telling her previously that I'm going to show her son what it's like to go 120 MPH in my sports car was probably a bad idea. 

No shit you silly twat. 

6 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

No shit you silly twat. 

At least I didn't say 150. I told her about doing that once on a public road and she was horrified (she doesn't have a car and Idk if she's ever driven one).

Edited by Mr. Chatywin et al.

On 2/26/2024 at 10:24 AM, Toth said:

I wonder whether the important bit is that you did it 10 years ago. I already noticed a difference between three years ago and last year on the same sites. More functions put behind paywalls and three years ago I at least had three conversations, last year none at all. A sentiment I've been seeing online is that the apps have become, much, much worse. At least on the Match-group sites that dominate the market. Or of course then there's the attractiveness thing...

This might be it. It’s not quite 10 years ago, just 6, but I agree that apps tend to get shittier all the time. Wouldn’t surprise me at all if it was the same with dating apps. It could also be a cultural difference - this was in Sweden - not that we’re that much different from the U.K or U.S., but when it comes to specific things like dating and Internet use, the differences can be quite striking.

On the attractiveness… I guess that might be a contributing factor. I have no illusions being God’s gift to women, but my fiancée certainly thinks I’m hot. I think this may be a difference between men and women, where a woman would get far more matches because there are so many men just swiping right on more or less everyone. 

6 hours ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

At least I didn't say 150. I told her about doing that once on a public road and she was horrified (she doesn't have a car and Idk if she's ever driven one).

Dude, not something to be bragging about. No wonder she was horrified. That is straight up terrible, punishable behaviour. 

I hope it was a long time ago, and you no longer endanger other road users like that. 

Edited by Spockydog

7 hours ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

Telling her previously that I'm going to show her son what it's like to go 120 MPH in my sports car was probably a bad idea so just more stories about breaking the rules made her worry. That's my best guess at least. 

As has been said, saying “I’m gonna endanger your kid, and here’s more examples of how I might do that” isn’t a relationship builder for most people…. Unless you’re from Florida.

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

Dude, not something to be bragging about. No wonder she was horrified. That is straight up terrible, punishable behaviour. 

I hope it was a long time ago, and you no longer endanger other road users like that. 

It was a long time ago and I was joking with her. Also not the most reckless thing I've done behind the wheel. :P

21 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Eek. The mind boggles. lol.

One time I was drag racing with my ex fiancé riding along. To win I had to switch to the turn lane and then cut back through oncoming traffic through a red light. Scared the shit out of her, but she found it kind of hot once she stopped being mad at me.

In a different life maybe I could have been a professional driver.  

10 minutes ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

In a different life maybe I could have been a professional driver.  

Or wrapped around a tree.

I mean, I'm glad you're not, but when you're my age looking back at all the insanely stupid stuff you did (and it sounds like ther's a lot, lol), I guarantee you are going to think one thing, and one thing only.

"What a fucking twat."

:P

Edited by Spockydog

3 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Or wrapped around a tree.

I mean, I'm glad you're not, but when you're my age looking back at all the insanely stupid stuff you did (and it sounds like ther's a lot, lol), I guarantee you are going to think one thing, and one thing only.

"What a fucking twat."

:P

I'll probably laugh. Ages 16-20 include endless stories of very bad criminal behavior. And I got away with all of it. :kiss:

17 minutes ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

I'll probably laugh. Ages 16-20 include endless stories of very bad criminal behavior. And I got away with all of it. :kiss:

Dude, we really need to sit down and have a chat one day. I too have some stories to tell.

It would be exactly like this, but instead of two oceanic badasses, it'll just be two drunken doofuses sharing their stupid nonsense. But probably lots of fun though.

I'm probably gonna be stateside three times this year. I have to go to Portland & SFO, Vegas, and somewhere in Colorado.

If we're gonna partner up, and you're indeed going to be my sexy-time-stunt-double, I first need to inspect the goods. 

11 hours ago, Spockydog said:

I'm probably gonna be stateside three times this year. I have to go to Portland & SFO, Vegas, and somewhere in Colorado.

Let me know your Portland dates - even if I am not around to tour guide and swap tales of youthful crime sprees, I have recommendations on food/sights/strip clubs.

20 hours ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

One time I was drag racing with my ex fiancé riding along. To win I had to switch to the turn lane and then cut back through oncoming traffic through a red light. Scared the shit out of her, but she found it kind of hot once she stopped being mad at me.

I must admit, I'm a bit startled about the contrast between this story, as well as your confused reaction to recounting stuff like this in a wistful manner and you finding someone admitting a sex worker past repelling before. I know, to each their own, but actively endangering others seems a tad more problematic to me. I hope this doesn't get across as too judgemental, but I'd say your thinking that you shouldn't mention stories of this time in a wistful tone to a person you would like a future with is the correct one. Because she could easily see that as similarly repelling like the other thing was to you. What with the possibility of you eventually getting a midlife crisis and starting to act more dangerously than another person would express it. What I'm getting at is not to hide it for the sake of hiding it, but rather to change your perspective on it for your own sake and hers...

Granted, I say that as an incredibly boring person. After reading your post I pondered half the day about what the worst thing I ever did was. The only things I could come up with were things I messed up and didn't tell anyone out of fear or things where I acted like an extremely selfish asshole. For the latter, I remember when I was in second grade, I couldn't get the HM Surf in Pokemon Red. Somehow I mentioned my frustration to my mother and she suggested inviting someone who already beat that level... and so I did... in a very literal way, asking a classmate who at that point was still willing to be around me point blank whether he can help me and after he showed me the path in the safari zone, I placed him at my parents' computer to play a game of his while I was sitting at my gameboy behind him playing my game, essentially completely sidelining him. I'm still feeling extremely guilty about it. And notably, more than a decade later when I met him again by chance, he still only rolled his eyes at me and changed the road.

5 hours ago, VigoTheCarpathian said:

Let me know your Portland dates - even if I am not around to tour guide and swap tales of youthful crime sprees, I have recommendations on food/sights/strip clubs.

Thanks, Vigo. My US plans are incredibly woolly at this stage. Will let you know once I've brought the shearers to bear, so to speak.

On 2/28/2024 at 9:10 PM, Spockydog said:

Hum, Also hit the 140 mp/h (~220 km/h) mark in a car on the Autobahn in my younger years (car was freaking Mazda 323, and steering wheel was vibrating quite a bit, so that was as fast as that thing would go, honestly tech. spec gave max speed at 180 km/h, but like I said, when you like hit it hard, you get more out of it).

As I grew older, the less I am really into hitting the accelerator hard. The time gain compared to driving a mere 80mph is really not worth it. Esp. if you factor in the fuel burn.

17 hours ago, Spockydog said:

SFO,

I'll be there in September. If you are too maybe we could grab a drink, but I'll be rather busy. 

40 minutes ago, Toth said:

I must admit, I'm a bit startled about the contrast between this story, as well as your confused reaction to recounting stuff like this in a wistful manner and you finding someone admitting a sex worker past repelling before. I know, to each their own, but actively endangering others seems a tad more problematic to me. I hope this doesn't get across as too judgemental, but I'd say your thinking that you shouldn't mention stories of this time in a wistful tone to a person you would like a future with is the correct one. Because she could easily see that as similarly repelling like the other thing was to you. What with the possibility of you eventually getting a midlife crisis and starting to act more dangerously than another person would express it. What I'm getting at is not to hide it for the sake of hiding it, but rather to change your perspective on it for your own sake and hers...

I didn't really hold it against her, more that in general she was toxic. J could have said the same thing and I'd be fine, more or less. 

I'm unapologetically me. And it's best to get the bad shit out in the open in most cases up front. Usually not this fast, but she's kind of the same. I've lived a very wild life. J and I are good again. Just not taking her kid and doing dangerous shit with him. I'm cool with just going on roller coasters with the kiddo. 

Granted, I say that as an incredibly boring person. After reading your post I pondered half the day about what the worst thing I ever did was. The only things I could come up with were things I messed up and didn't tell anyone out of fear or things where I acted like an extremely selfish asshole. 

I once vandalized around 70 cars in a single night. I think you're morally okay by comparison. 

50 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Hum, Also hit the 140 mp/h (~220 km/h) mark in a car on the Autobahn in my younger years (car was freaking Mazda 323, and steering wheel was vibrating quite a bit, so that was as fast as that thing would go, honestly tech. spec gave max speed at 180 km/h, but like I said, when you like hit it hard, you get more out of it).

That's what spooked me. I touched the break at over 150 and the thing went insane. I really thought I was going to roll the car in the middle of nowhere. Probably would have died if I couldn't hold on. 

Well, my dad used to say: when you have to brake, you can't drive.

There's some truth to it. It means, you were not paying attention to what's happening ahead of you. Usually taking your foot of the accelerator in time helps. Same in your scenario. Just take your foot off the gas. Don't use the break at high speeds unless you really have to.

Nowadays you have quite a few electronic helpers to keep the car under control, only had to use the brakes twice at a higher speed. Once was proper silly. Saw a patrol car on the side, and was distracted for a moment, looked there and tried figure out what happened (curiosity kills the cat and lands horses in uncomfrotable situations), only to find the car in front of me had significantly slowed down, when my view shifted back to where it should have been/stayed the whole time. Thus I had to hit the brakes relatively hard, nothing happened, but that was distintictively too close for comfort for my liking. (remember what I said about not paying sufficient attention to what's happening in front of you.)