Dating Thread: In Memoriam

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

I'm confused, what's happened? 

Chats had to shut her public profile down because of a stalker. She asked me to make a new thread. PM her if you want to know more. And that's the last we'll discuss this.

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

But what happened to the Spanish Civil War thread?  People had excellent responses which, I for one, was appreciating, and looking forward to more.

My guess is she started it? If you create a thread and then ask for your content to be taken down the whole thread goes with it. That's why the last dating thread disappeared, for example. 

After far too long being single, I have just dipped my toe into the world of online dating.

Holy mother of god. What a scam-riddled shit show. 

Can anyone point me in the direction of one of the more reliable dating sites?

ETA: OK, one of my more worldly friends has told me to just get on Tinder and forget the rest. In the absence of any contradictory advice, I have created a profile.

Ladies of Enfield, hit me up @scrog_bae

Profile tips/feedback would be very much appreciated.

Edited by Spockydog

3 hours ago, Spockydog said:

After far too long being single, I have just dipped my toe into the world of online dating.

ETA: OK, one of my more worldly friends has told me to just get on Tinder and forget the rest. In the absence of any contradictory advice, I have created a profile.

Tinder isn't really a dating site, but let's be honest, most of them are just fuck sites anyways. I hear Bumble works the best though I've never used it and I haven't used any in a long time. Frankly I think online dating has kind of screwed things up. 

54 minutes ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

Tinder isn't really a dating site, but let's be honest, most of them are just fuck sites anyways. I hear Bumble works the best though I've never used it and I haven't used any in a long time. Frankly I think online dating has kind of screwed things up. 

Bumble seems much better.

31 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Bumble seems much better.

Letting women take the lead seems the best these days. J has joked around that she has over 500 friend requests standing that she just ignores. It was a happy accident she accepted mine.

Speaking of which, she said the one last thing I needed to hear, which is that she wants 1-2 more kids. I was a bit worried she didn't want more (she has two, but one is a very complicated situation) yet she's thinking about her and me having them. It's a bit fast to get there, but it's good to get that talk out of the way. I do feel like I'm falling in love with her. It's been a long time since I felt this way. 

2 hours ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

I do feel like I'm falling in love with her. It's been a long time since I felt this way. 

Really? Based on what I read here I'd say couple of weeks maybe? ;)

Seriously though, fingers crossed.

Edited by 3CityApache

I read a study somewhere (might have been OKCupid when I was still on it) that women find 80% of the men on dating apps unattractive. The odds are really stacked against the average male on them, so you'd have to make your profile stand out with some unique hook*. But of all the apps, I've heard Bumble is the best.

*I may or may not have leaned into my love for Tesla in both my profile and my username.

5 hours ago, 3CityApache said:

Really? Based on what I read here I'd say couple of weeks maybe? ;)

Seriously though, fingers crossed.

Sometimes things run hot fast. I'm normally not like that, but this one is different and we've already gotten the hard conversations out of the way with total agreement. So we'll see. 

19 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Mmh... I mean... depends how attractive you are. Are you extremely attractive and have very professional photos? Then you should be fine. Otherwise... well, it's a shit-show, just like you say.

Bumble I am hearing (and experiencing) is dying fast. I did try it out three years ago and had... not much success, but at least got three matches in half a year with no date. Last year I got absolutely nothing. I even had more luck on Tinder, where I had two likes that unmatched immediately after I liked them back and one match where the woman replied with a daily one-word answer per day for nearly a week before she unmatched.

I also tried Okcupid at the very beginning, hearing it has more unconventional people on there. Which is true. And it also allows you to connect much more freely, which I liked. Though still, the only conversation I had there was with a scammer from the Philippines.

I am hearing quite a lot about Hinge everywhere. I did sign up on it very briefly, but felt very overwhelmed, I must admit and deleted my account after just a few hours.

All in all I'd recommend just about everyone to just stay away from them for the sake of your sanity and instead try to find more connections in the real life.

57 minutes ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

Well I guess I have a GF now. Wasn't expecting that today. 

Congratz! Crossing fingers!

44 minutes ago, Toth said:

Mmh... I mean... depends how attractive you are. Are you extremely attractive and have very professional photos? Then you should be fine. Otherwise... well, it's a shit-show, just like you say.

I certainly wouldn't consider myself extremely attractive. I make the most of what I have. And you don't need professionally shot photos. Some decently framed selfies will do just fine, has been my experience so far, at least.

As an aside, I think that signing up to one of my Lazyscrog pilot schemes would do you the world of good. There will be quite a few women involved, we'll be doing regular zoom calls, and I'm pretty sure that your empathy for, along with your ability to care for, all kinds of plants, would score you many points. Something to think about, perhaps.

Edited by Spockydog

15 hours ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

Sometimes things run hot fast. I'm normally not like that, but this one is different and we've already gotten the hard conversations out of the way with total agreement. So we'll see. 

I hope one of the hard conversations has to do with what your role in her kids' lives will be.  Marrying into a ready-made family is something I know a little something about, so if you have any questions, feel free to pick my brain - what there is of it.  :D