Football: You can take Poch out of Spurs...or playing Boehly's Billion Bottlers Blues.

I think the panicky whining is a bit much.

Yeah, you lost Konate to injury. Konate's injury proneness was somewhat known when you signed him. It's unfortunate that Matip just happens to be out for the season. Quansah has done a decent job this season. So claiming he will cost you points feels a bit unfair to him. Besides you didn't try to find an emergency CB signing in January to cover for Matip, because Klopp felt that Quansah was good enough to play. Gomez could also move back into the CB position. Overall Szoboszlai is back got to play minutes as a warm up for City and so did Salah. Your overall injury situation is also not that bad.

Kelleher has shown he can replace Alisson. Bradley was not that much of a downgrade for Arnold since he came in this year either. Quansah has done a decent enough job at CB (altho you really do not want anymore injuries there). In MF you have options (only Jones is missing I think), same goes for your forward line (with only Jota being out (again)).

I really don't get the complaints about team selection. :dunno:

Ornstein and Clarkey chewing the fat on all things Arsenal. Love what they are saying about Declan Rice.

"Hands down player of the year."

*If we win the league, that is. 

Anyway, for fans of Declan, particularly those who had to put up with tedious banter from their Spurs-supporting mates, this is lovely stuff.

Edited by Spockydog

Posted (edited)

Yes, Hürzeler finally signed a new contract and it's without a release clause (not that it means he will stay for the next 10 years or so, still nice!).

Edit: In non-pro football news.

The Football Association of the City State of Bremen has suspended all games in its jurisdiction for the weekend. That includes youth games for the age groups of D-youths (u12/13) and older, and games below Regionalliga (4th tier) in the adult/senior section.

Background violence on the pitch. Three incidents from last week apparently.

1. In an adult game there was an incident involving knives (or at least one) with kicks to the head. 2. In an "old seniors" game (age 32 and above (boy do I feel old writing this)) there were discriminatory chants and threats of violence against the referee. 3. And in an C-youth game (under 14/15) three audience members stormed the pitch with the intent to assault a player from the visiting team (here the kicker reporting is unclear whether those fans were other kids, or parents).

Edited by A Horse Named Stranger

ETA:

Last summer, Hughes brought Andoni Iraola to Bournemouth as the club’s new head coach. It will surely be helpful to Hughes and by extension to Liverpool that Iraola is represented by the same management agency as Alonso.

https://theathletic.com/5324339/2024/03/08/liverpool-richard-hughes-sporting-director-profile/?utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=twitterfc&source=twitteruk

Edited by AncalagonTheBlack

On 3/7/2024 at 10:05 PM, A Horse Named Stranger said:

I really don't get the complaints about team selection. :dunno:

Is this your first time meeting Liverpool supporters of this board? :lol:

I agree with you, team selection was quite reasonable. Konate played so VVD could have some rest, Darwin needed to get some minutes after missing a couple of games and the same goes for Salah and Szoboszlai. Liverpool doesn't have the luxury of having 2 world-class players at every position, so some compromises have to be made. It's far from certain but I'm fairly confident Liverpool can get a good result with the team Klopp has at his disposal at the minute. Gomez played at CB alongside VVD in a season where Liverpool dominated the Premier League the way very few teams have. No reason to worry about him getting back into that role if Klopp thinks Quansah is not ready to play against City.

8 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Thanks @baxus I was starting to question my understanding of football.

Don't write that possibility off just yet. :lol:

Posted (edited)

English Championship is shaping up nicely.

Almost half the league could get relegated (Sunderland are probably the first team that won't get drawn into the relegation battle), while the battle for the direct promotion is also heating up nicely, es. if Hull beats Leicester. While WBA, Hull, Norwich, Preston, Conventry and potentially even Cardiff try to claim of the two remaining promotion play-off spots.

Edit: Small update on the Alonso to Bayern non-news. According to Eberl (Bayern's next attempt at cloning Hoeneß (check upthread)) they haven't had any talks with a potential new headcoaches yet, but there's a shortlist of candidates for the job (No shit Maxi). And the obligatory the hunt for a manager/headcoach is not easy, as some of the names on their list have contracts with other clubs, thus they want to act in a respectful manner.  Max you work for Bayern now, respect is overrated. :rolleyes:

So long story short, no talks between Bayern and Alonso, yet.

Edited by A Horse Named Stranger

Just now, Corvinus85 said:

Twice now an Arsenal player was held in a critical moment in the box and no penalty.

Paul Tierney on VAR as punishment for his blunder for Liverpool. No surprise we get shit on obvious calls.

• Ran locked this topic