Football: You can take Poch out of Spurs...or playing Boehly's Billion Bottlers Blues.

I’m not sure if that’s tongue in cheek but I don’t think Boehly should jump into a manger change considering his chaotic squad building.

Liverpool, Bayern, Barcelona and probably United will all have managerial vacancies this summer.  There’s going to be a lot of competition for talent, offering different competitive situations and different political environments.

Liverpool is less of a pressure cooker than the others and you inherit a strong squad but it’s difficult to follow Klopp.  Plus financial doping by City is a big obstacle for anyone taking over at a top PL club.  Bayern looks like the easiest job but with enough background politics to sour it.

Chelsea’s FFP problems and no CL means the manager has to mostly accept the squad as it is for a while and work on tactics and cohesion — Pochettino is fine for that.

11 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Liverpool, Bayern, Barcelona and probably United will all have managerial vacancies this summer.  There’s going to be a lot of competition for talent, offering different competitive situations and different political environments.

It would have seemed crazy to say this 10 years ago but Barcelona is pretty comfortably the worst job out of those options (plus Chelsea) I’d say. They’ve absolutely fucked themselves pulling financial levers to buy an aging not especially good squad. Real have put together a team that looks like it’s going to be fantastic for the next decade and Barcelona are going to be at a constant big financial disadvantage.

4 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

It would have seemed crazy to say this 10 years ago but Barcelona is pretty comfortably the worst job out of those options (plus Chelsea) I’d say. They’ve absolutely fucked themselves pulling financial levers to buy an aging not especially good squad. Real have put together a team that looks like it’s going to be fantastic for the next decade and Barcelona are going to be at a constant big financial disadvantage.

The big advantage that Barca does have is that even if they are rubbish, they will still qualify for the CL so can reliably count on that revenue stream. Unlike in the PL where if one of the traditional big boys are rubbish, they promptly drop out of the top 4.

6 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Everton points penalty reduced from 10 - 6.  Nice result.  Thats as many points as they've picked up in the league since 30th Jan. 

Puts them in a much safer spot.

13 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

They have been charged with breaching PSR for the accounting period ending June 2023 as well. That hearing is in April so they might be getting another points deduction (along with Forest).

They'll be hopeful even there though- if it was a similar breach they'll presumably be looking at a similar punishment. Ten points on top of ten would have been hard to get clear with but if they only have to eat another six they're almost there already with this reduction. Even if there's something about additional punishment for a repeated breach they'll have reason to believe they can do it.

15 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

I’m not sure if that’s tongue in cheek but I don’t think Boehly should jump into a manger change considering his chaotic squad building.

Arguably he shouldn't. But football is often times not that rational.

Their fans will be demanding his head. With Poch not being a winner (which tbf is not that wild a claim, if you can't win in France with Messi, Mbappe and Neymar), and them being far, far away from their Abramovich years. Anyway, I'd argue Poch's position is about as safe as ten Hags.

Ofc, the next manager will inherit massive problems, because of the FFP frame. Chelsea have to sell some academy products, which will count as pure profit in the books. So that means they have to find a sucker who writes big paycheck for Gallagher. Next on the open to negotiations list might be James and Chilwell. Basically, the ones that sorta form and have some value. Ofc buyers are aware of Chelsea's predicament, and with James there's the issue of his injury history sorta diminishing his sale value.

If you want to have some fun, try to put a price tag on Mudryk.

29 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Its going to be messy as fuck if they get relegated by a point, and everyone has to tread water waiting for an appeal again. 

The PL has promised to fast track these cases and have it sorted out before the season ends.

33 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Their fans will be demanding his head. With Poch not being a winner (which tbf is not that wild a claim, if you can't win in France with Messi, Mbappe and Neymar), 

Tbf, he did win the league with PSG in his first full season. Won the Coupe de France the season before but had only joined in January.

So we're safe for now. Until the next breach. But we're above Forest, so even if we lose more points, I guess we'll still have that ... maybe. Who knows? Process is clear as a Trump statement.

1 hour ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Chelsea have to sell some academy products, which will count as pure profit in the books. So that means they have to find a sucker who writes big paycheck for Gallagher.

This issue gets talked about a lot, Gallagher looks likely to go, it seems to highlight a problem with the FFP framework if it incentivises teams to sell off their academy products rather than expensively bought flops. Obviously Chelsea's recruitment policy is utter bollocks and they deserve to get hit hard for that level of incompetence but it doesn't seem right that they should be pushed into selling the very players who may have some real attachment to the club.

HUm, no this is an accounting issue. I think @Consigliere can chime in on this to correct me, when needed.

On the books HG academy products cost the clubs 0 (not true in practical terms as running an academy costs money). So if Chelsea were to find a club that pays them 40m for Gallagher, than that's 40m of profit on the accounting side of things at least.

Sure, they could also sell Mudryk, but his fee is stretched out in the books for five more years*. So they'd need to sell him for 72m* just to get him off the books cleanly (ofc, they could also sell him 40m do some creative accounting, and only have 32m of his fee left on the books). But they did this trick with Fernandez, too. That's now the problem virtually everybody foresaw when Chelsea made those deals with the long contracts. It was a bet on the future. Those players would turn worldbeaters, and they could be sold for a profit to bring in the next blue chip prospects. Problem is, nobody in their right mind (not even dysfunctional Manchester United) would be willing to pay 72m for Mudryk. So that bet didn't play out. Thus Chelsea now have to raise money by selling other players. Which brings us back to academy prducts not costing the club anything in the acquisition. So easiest way to close the transfer deficit in accounting is to sell a Home Grown player for big bucks (essentially Gallagher at this point). If they sold Mudryk for 40m (unlikely they could get that much, but not impossible and for the sake of the argument) and put it all in next seasons FFP books. That would still only mean 26m raised for that year (40 - 14). And they'd only kick the can down the road for another year, and would need a possible replacement (for little money, which Boehly apparently doesn't do). So that's exactly the transfer doom loop critics warned about.

I dunno, if United face similar problems, but they are generating more revenue and have qualified for the CL. So their day of reckoning is further off to the future. Again, consigliere might want to chime in here. I'd be curious how Anthony for example is listed on United's books (or Sancho, but much more of his fee is written off at this point). 

*Chelse paid 100m and gave him a 7 year contract to accomodate him for FFP reasons, before that loophole was closed iirc. So that's be 100 : 7 = 14. 14 x 2 = 28. 100 - 28 = 72m.

Edited by A Horse Named Stranger

Considering how utterly mediocre he was at Brighton and lost at sea at Everton, it seems Maupay is a system player. He thrives in Brentford's system, and suddenly his finishing is Not Shit.

• Ran locked this topic