Football: You can take Poch out of Spurs...or playing Boehly's Billion Bottlers Blues.

11 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Darwizzy! Are you not entertained? :D

Gakpo is absolute poo! He's in danger of becoming a squad player if he continues to be poo!

Is Gakpo carrying an injury, or is he just not meshing with the players out their on the field this past month?

He seemed to fit very well with the Mane / Bobby / Jota / Salah group of forwards, and he has had good games with both Diaz and Nunez, but he really has seemed out of synch the last several games.

2 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Is Gakpo carrying an injury, or is he just not meshing with the players out their on the field this past month?

He seemed to fit very well with the Mane / Bobby / Jota / Salah group of forwards, and he has had good games with both Diaz and Nunez, but he really has seemed out of synch the last several games.

I think it's a mix of different things .

He plays his best with Salah and Nunez.

From his body language he seems a bit low on confidence. He doesn't have the pace of either Mane nor is he physically able to hold off players and gets bullied off the ball easily. Compare that to Salah who is physically shorter than him and is able to do so much more physically.

So he's not pacy enough to play on the wing nor strong enough to be a 10.

False 9 would be best for him.

Edited by AncalagonTheBlack

So I watched the Liverpool game after all the furore thinking we were going to have been on the rack all game but the xg was about 2-1 in Liverpools favour and Forest's big chance for Elanga was offside and would have been called back if he'd scored. I suppose it's dramatic because the Nunez goal was so late but it was overall a fairly 'Liverpool win by the odd goal' game. :dunno:

Eh, it’s been coming for pretty much the whole game. Rashford scoring a bit of a screamer made it look a bit more interesting but City have been squeezing United throughout, this United team were never going to hold up for 90 plus minutes.

btw I've been being obnoxious about my guy JWP all season and in the meantime one of the other guys I've been bigging up for time has quietly put together a genuine POTY contender season. Ollie Watkins with 16 goals and 10 assists? That's some Thierry Henry numbers. 

16 hours ago, polishgenius said:

btw I've been being obnoxious about my guy JWP all season and in the meantime one of the other guys I've been bigging up for time has quietly put together a genuine POTY contender season. Ollie Watkins with 16 goals and 10 assists? That's some Thierry Henry numbers. 

England have some insane bang in form players at the minute. if Southgate can find a way to get Rice, Saka, Foden, Bellingham and Kane to play together they will take some stopping.  Having Watkins as a back up for Kane is a relief as for a long time it was a very weak area, i like Callum Wilson, but he should be nowhere near an England squad. 

Edited by BigFatCoward

54 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

England have some insane ban in form players at the minute. if Southgate can find a way to get Rice, Saka, Foden, Bellingham and Kane to play together they will take some stopping.  Having Watkins as a back up for Kane is a relief as for a long time it was a very weak area, i like Callum Wilson, but he should be nowhere near an England squad. 

Defence is really less impressive. We still play Maguire.

We really shouldn’t play Maguire. Not because the other options are drastically better than him, he’s not a bad player despite occasional form issues, but because he’s slow and it means we have to play deep. It’s what irritates me about Southgate, we’ve got all these brilliant attacking talents who’re used to playing on the front foot with their club sides and we’re building the side around Maguire’s limitations. Just pick a centre back who’s quick enough to play in a high line (and don’t pick Henderson) ffs.

4 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

We really shouldn’t play Maguire. Not because the other options are drastically better than him, he’s not a bad player despite occasional form issues, but because he’s slow and it means we have to play deep. It’s what irritates me about Southgate, we’ve got all these brilliant attacking talents who’re used to playing on the front foot with their club sides and we’re building the side around Maguire’s limitations. Just pick a centre back who’s quick enough to play in a high line (and don’t pick Henderson) ffs.

The thing about international football is there seems to be the opinion that to win tournaments you need to play cautious football, that it's too hard to put together a cohesive system based on attacking high pressing styles. In that I think Southgate has been pretty successful, he seems very concerned with controlling games, with or without the ball.

It might be that Maguire sort of fits the style that Southgate is going for.. plus he's got a Slabhead so scores goals at corners, which is a key element of Southgate's tactics. 

I'm assuming Gareth is fine having a solid defensive unit and a more potent attacking unit which works almost independently. 

I'm in agreement with @ljkeane regarding Maguire. Don't think the alternatives are clearly better than him but Southgate needs to replace him with someone who's quicker and more agile - it's also why I think Dunk should not start either. I'd go with Stones (no brainer as he's England's only top class CB right now) and Colwill (I like a left footer at LCB. Just opens up some nice passing angles) and in the case of a back three, Walker at RCB.

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

Well of course. It's Klopp's last season.

What a terrible look. Makes a dodgy decision in favor of one title contender and his punishment is to VAR for another. What a joke.

Tierney is the guy who gifted City the title ahead Liverpool by not awarding Everton a blatant penalty for handball in the dying minutes against City.  And he has a huge track record of negative decisions against Liverpool when refereeing them.  He’s been a meme and a bogeyman among Liverpool supporters for years.  Trying to recreate him now as central to some pro-Liverpool conspiracy sounds like peak AFTV.  But have fun with it.

None of the rage-bait shows Konate getting kicked in the head by a Forest player at the corner kick (not a collision with Kelleher) as the reason for the stoppage.

9 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

None of the rage-bait shows Konate getting kicked in the head by a Forest player at the corner kick (not a collision with Kelleher) as the reason for the stoppage.

I saw all the uproar before I'd seen the game so I assumed the ball had been passed straight to Nunez and he scored, possession changes hands about 3 times before the Liverpool goal. Plus, yeah, the 'correct' decision should have been a Liverpool free kick for Konate getting booted in the head.

• Ran locked this topic