Football: You can take Poch out of Spurs...or playing Boehly's Billion Bottlers Blues.

32 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Mudryk is not tactically clever and he's got a terrible first touch. You can coach around the former (and he's still got time to learn it to some extent, though you'd have hoped to see some game awareness by now) and you can play to avoid situations where he has to stop the ball dead, but both those factors limit him and probably always will. As he is now he wouldn't start for Burnley, and I say that in the literal sense that Wilson Odobert is much better than he is. 

Well, tbf to him. Mudryk is now on his third permanent manager (and still counting, as I am not 100% convinced that Poch will still be charge next season) in less than two years. If there had been one gameplan in place, with a clearly defined role for him, then he might've looked somewhat better tactically, with this permanent transition it's hard to develop automatisms and partnerships with a changing cast of partners. As for his technical limitations, Poch seemed to think a lot of it had to do with confidence, with a lot of stuff not coming naturally. But he believed there was still a player in there. No idea if this has changed, or if just says it to not damage Mudryk any further.

Anyway, bigger point remains, Chelsea is not a happy place to be for young players.

Inter's atrocious finishing in the CL this season was their downfall. They completely dominated the first leg (Atleti didn't even have a shot on target) and should have won that game by a bigger margin than just 1-0. Barella and Thuram fluffing huge chances with the score at 1-1 last night really was costly. Inter players were rubbish in the shootout as well.

28 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Does he actually track back though? It's all become a bit of a cliche now, with lots of video of him just jogging along not even making minimum effort, but then I've also seen him occasionally running back too. Not sure what the general view is on that.

He does track back from time to time (when the team is really under the cosh) otherwise tracking back is not something he's being tasked to do. Rashford plays as either a left forward or CF so when we transition into defence, Rashford is usually tasked to stay up top to provide an outlet along with one other player (Hojlund usually when he's fit).

Many of those clips seem to be made with an agenda - Rashford is the online United fans favourite scapegoat and those short clips are clearly designed to be rage bait and don't take tactical instructions into consideration.

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

Does he actually track back though? It's all become a bit of a cliche now, with lots of video of him just jogging along not even making minimum effort, but then I've also seen him occasionally running back too. Not sure what the general view is on that.

Yeah, what Consigliere says. It's true that he often doesn't track back but that's because he's being told not to. 

It's a big reason ETH was pushing Antony for so long. He does track back (usually, unless his head melts which does happen) and generally gets involved in the middle third so we'd play a lopsided formation where Antony covers more on the right so the midfield can focus on covering the left side. With Garnacho it's a little more traditional.

1 hour ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Well, tbf to him. Mudryk is now on his third permanent manager (and still counting, as I am not 100% convinced that Poch will still be charge next season) in less than two years. If there had been one gameplan in place, with a clearly defined role for him, then he might've looked somewhat better tactically, with this permanent transition it's hard to develop automatisms and partnerships with a changing cast of partners.

I mean it's possible. But Cole Palmer has walked in and been excellent- it's not impossible. More to the point, there are some things that are attributable to the managerial situation but not being able to trap the ball isn't one of them. 

Edited by polishgenius

Yeah makes sense that in certain positions its about being in place to hit on the counter, even then it does sound like Rashford could apply himself a bit more, though I've always thought the criticism of him is a bit over blown. At the same time, it's not like he's Messi, he's not good enough to change games for you in the same way, so I would have imagined that ETH would want a more pressurising player in that position. I'm not really sure what ETH's tactical style is at this point however.

5 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

I didn't realise how important west ham v freiburg was tonight for the coefficient.

Apparently we could have 11 teams in Europe next year if everything went our way. 

How are we tracking for CL? I have to think that City/Arsenal moving to quarters and Inter getting knocked out helped.

8 minutes ago, Mexal said:

How are we tracking for CL? I have to think that City/Arsenal moving to quarters and Inter getting knocked out helped.

Italy are quite far ahead, its between us and Germany currently for the 2nd spot.

Us and Man Utd massively fucked it. If Liverpool had made top 4 I'm sure we'd be pretty much guaranteed that last spot now. 

What are the current coefficient rankings?

Italy (16.571) and Germany (15.928) currently lead the coefficient rankings and sit in the two spots that will secure an extra place in next season's Champions League.
England (15.000 ) is in third place ahead of France (14.416) and Spain (14.187).
With France only having three teams left in European competition it looks like being a three-way battle between Italy, Germany and England for the two top places.
Edited by BigFatCoward

50 minutes ago, Mexal said:

I can’t say I’m too fussed since Liverpool coming 5th looks pretty unlikely at this stage but looking at the rules the big thing in the Champions League was getting out of the group stage. You get 5 bonus points for qualifying for the last 16, you only get 1 bonus point for every round you qualify for after that.

So, yeah, United and Newcastle not getting out of the group stages really fucked the Premier League.

ETA: England squad for the international break.

It's been fairly obvious for a while but Southgate's clearly taking Henderson to the Euros. At least he seems to have given up on forcing Phillips in too. Gomez is back in, I think with the reduced squad sizes he's pretty nailed on to go even with only just coming back in with the way he's covered across the back four to a good level for Liverpool this year. The other big news is Ben White apparently declined the chance to be selected.

Edited by ljkeane

Can I just say that I'm not a fan of the bonus CL spot going to the 5th placed side in the league. Since this extra spot is determined by an associations collective performance in European competitions over the course of each season, only the teams actually contributing to the coefficient for that season should be under consideration for the bonus spot imo. Basically, the club that accumulated the most coefficient points but didn't qualify automatically for the CL via league position should get the spot. In the case of the PL, that team would currently be West Ham who have accumulated as many coefficient points as Liverpool so far this season.

Edited by Consigliere

16 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Can I just say that I'm not a fan of the bonus CL spot going to the 5th placed side in the league. Since this extra spot is determined by an associations collective performance in European competitions over the course of each season, only the teams actually contributing to the coefficient for that season should be under consideration for the bonus spot imo. Basically, the club that accumulated the most coefficient points but didn't qualify automatically for the CL via league position should get the spot. In the case of the PL, that team would currently be West Ham who have accumulated as many coefficient points as Liverpool so far this season.

Didn't borough get relegated one year when they made the uefa cup final?

That would be hilarious if it went to a relegated team. Or am i missing up when they got relefated and made both cup finals? Despite having Juninho in insane form. 

24 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Didn't borough get relegated one year when they made the uefa cup final?

'Boro did reach the uefa cup final but I don't think they were relegated that season.

Yeah I think BFC is conflating that instance (they didn't get relegated for another few years, after Southgate took over and oversaw a long slow decline that they still haven't recovered from), with Boro reaching the League and FA Cup final and getting relegated in '97. 

Did Leicester also go down that year despite the league cup final? Can't remember. Just remember that Muzzy Izzet was a don.

In other news: fuck you, FIFA

Edited by polishgenius

We’re in London this week so I actually watched Liverpool’s EL fixture in real time rather than after I know the result.  Not that there was much suspense tonight regardless.  Some tidy performances out there and fatigue was managed.  There were a few late fouls by disgruntled Sparta players as the night wore on but hopefully no injuries from those.

Surprising that Leverkusen faced such hazard against Qarabag but they saw them off in the end.

11 hours ago, polishgenius said:

I'm not even sure what position we'd play him in primarily but if we don't sign Mo Kudus off West Ham in summer I will be very cross

That might be the most United post you've ever made. :D

And here I thought you learnt the transfer basics. 1. Identify need/position. 2. Identify target(s) that address(es) problem(s). 3.Evaluate target(s) 4.Sign player.

• Ran locked this topic