Football: You can take Poch out of Spurs...or playing Boehly's Billion Bottlers Blues.

59 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

Bobby Clark was injured so we had to leave Salah on because we didn't have any more subs. He basically just walked around for the last 30 minutes of that game.

Yep, that was apparently reason, Klopp said as much (with the instruction to Salah, that he wouldn't need to trackback/defend for the rest of the Prague game). Plan was by all accounts to sub Salah off, when Clark suddenly sat down in front of him.

I really don't know why Salah was playing against Prague in the first place, mind. But hey, I won't complain.

Hopefully none of our players get injured again on international break and also Antony can learn to be a leftback apparently. 

2 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

We over-committed players in two EL fixtures to beat Sparta 11-2 on aggregate, which stole energy from the City match (which we really could have won) and from this Cup QF.  This is exactly what was predicted when we saw the EL line-ups.

A sane Liverpool fan!

I will say it again. This is on Klopp. Then he keeps moaning about injuries.

In Bundesliga news.

Christian Streich will step down as headcoach at Freiburg at the end of the season.

He has held this position for over 12 years. Before that he worked as a coach in their academy/youth department. He first joined the club in 1995, so he's spent the last 29 years at Freiburg in some form. Now that's longevity.

Only two coaches in Bundesliga history will have been in charge of a club for more games than him at one club. Schaaf and Rehagel (both for Bremen).

If we are open to selling Bruno, i really don't mind him going anywhere except City, that just wouldn't be fair. 

I kind of wish we had sold him about a year ago if we are going to lose him, i think he has dropped off a bit and we'll be getting less for him than we could have. 

Freiburg have apparently settled on a successor for Streich.

Julian Schuster. Schuster is right now serving as developmental coach rotating between the senior and junior squads.

After ending his playing days at Freiburg he took the coaching courses and worked in aforementioned role. He has not worked anywhere as headcoach. In short probably the most Freiburg solution ever.

In Bayern news, there's a rumour floating around that Nagelsmann will return to succeed Tuchel. Which is sorta bizarre on its face. Nagelsmann was dismissed by the old regime (Salihamidzic and Kahn) and replaced by Tuchel only to be reinstated by their successors.

Forest docked another 10 points? :o

I saw this on Twitter but can't find confirmation on Google

Edited by Darryk

1 hour ago, Darryk said:

Forest docked another 10 points? :o

I saw this on Twitter but can't find confirmation on Google

There you go, that's why everyone on the board needs to stop relying on twitter for their news.

These FFP breaches for losses exceeding specified thresholds create a significant operating risk for clubs.  Most of the expenditures are on multi-year contracts for players that don’t get reduced for any club operating stresses (they do reduce for football metrics like not playing, not scoring, not qualifying for Europe, relegation, etc).

So if club operations have an unexpected headwind, then the club doesn’t have much room for maneuver.  I assume a widespread problem like COVID quarantine affecting stadium attendance or the collapse of a TV broadcast deal would trigger a negotiated exemption for all clubs.  But if any one club has a big problem, e.g. stadium capacity is reduced for a year or a big sponsorship deal collapses at short notice (sanctions, bankruptcy) then that specific club may not have many Barcelona-like levers to pull other than a fire-sale of players.  Getting a loan improves cash flow to ride out the problem but doesn’t change the accounting loss for FFP.

Last year, I enjoyed watching several games from the US Open Cup live streamed on Youtube.  It seems that isn't happening this year.

ETA:  I found the live streams.  This year they are on the US Soccer website.

Edited by Teng Ai Hui

Why does Harry Kane take a football with him to the toilette?

I think that's the biggest question I have about this statue.

The other one would be, why would a city council spend money on a statue of a footballer taking a shit?