Football: You can take Poch out of Spurs...or playing Boehly's Billion Bottlers Blues.

Posted (edited)

Draw is the best result for Liverpool, I guess.

Keeps City 3 points away and they also stay 2 points clear of Arsenal. So that would at least tentatively put Liverpool somewhat into the driver's seat.

Edited by A Horse Named Stranger
removed GD as 5 goals one way or another looks very swingable with those 3 teams

2 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Draw is the best result for Liverpool, I guess.

Keeps City 3 points away and they also stay 2 points clear of Arsenal. So that would at least tentatively put Liverpool somewhat into the driver's seat.

I think City would be happy with a point, as they're the least likely of the three to drop points in the run-in.

Draw keeps the table interesting with all three teams still in the race.

Liverpool right now in the driver's seat as mentioned above, but not comfortably.

Arsenal first in line if Liverpool slip, and City also in striking distance.

Arsenal definitely came to get a draw and a win would have been a bonus. They defended pretty well and, fair enough, it’s a decent result but I’d worry not taking a chance to widen the gap from City might be costly.

For Liverpool I suppose there’s a good argument that’s the best result but, I don’t know, I’d still have preferred to open up more of a gap to City even if it’d mean we’d still be behind Arsenal.

Edited by ljkeane

Arsenal's defence this season could be the difference maker for them. Last season they still had the tendency to concede a few soft goals but this season the entire defensive unit has been immense (clearly the best in the league).

24, 27, 28 goals conceded by the top three.

Fine margins imo, the clearly best is a bit too much imo. Next best teams with fewest conceded goals are United, Everton, Aston Villa and Spurs with 40,41,42, 43 conceded goals respectively. That's a clear drop off to the top three.

It really comes down to form and nerves in the run in. Cpmgratulations to whoever comes out on top there.

I just think it's easier said than done to win at City. How many matches have they lost there this year? Last? Maybe one? I'll take the point and keep from getting battered like we did last year in the run in. We did have a few moments that we could have taken better and if we did up the intensity of the press earlier, think we'd have had a few more, but not going to complain too much.

Edited by Mexal

23 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

24, 27, 28 goals conceded by the top three.

If you look at the xg numbers though it's pretty clear Arsenal have the best defence. Liverpool do somewhat defend in a way that factors in that Alisson's the best keeper in the league but, still, I think it tracks with the eye test that Arsenal look a lot more solid defensively than the other two sides.

Yeah, it's not just purely down to goals conceded. Arsenal snuff out opponents attacks better than any other side in the league this season. Opponents don't tend to create much against them. Think if Arsenal had a keeper who was close to Alisson's level they'd be under 20 goals conceded.

Edited by Consigliere

Agreed that Arsenal have the most solid defense and most suffocating press this season, even if the goals conceded aren’t that far apart.  I’m just impressed that Liverpool have conceded so few considering how much of the defense has been missing: Alisson, Trent, Robertson, Konate and Matip have all had significant absences.  We’re lucky that VVD has been so durable, and especially that Quansah and Bradley stepped up into the team from absolutely nowhere, and that Joe Gomez has re-emerged as a reliable and very durable FB, and Kelleher has grown into much more reliable form than he ever showed before.  Any one of those outcomes would have represented good fortune for a season but getting them all at the same time is a bit of a miracle.

Well, Everton seems hell bent on self destructing, but let's leave that for now.

Bryne FK started their season yesterday with a fine 3-1 win over IK Start from Kristiansand. Not exactly free flowing football, but a good win and a great way to start the new season!

Apparently we are interested in Ramsdale, I can't imagine he wants to back up Pope (and he definitely should) anymore than he wants to be back up at Arsenal. 

Villa could do everyone a favour v City, Arsenal and Liverpool have absurdly easy fixtures by comparison this week. 

Edited by BigFatCoward

Ex-Man City perfomance analyst, and current Benfica Technical Director, is set to join Michael Edwards and FSG.

It emerged last month that FSG was working on a move for Marques as part of its plans for a multi-club model, which was a key factor in Edwards' appointment. The Portuguese is to be employed by FSG rather than Liverpool directly as his skills and expertise made him a leading candidate for the role.

He oversees a thriving youth set-up at the Portuguese giants and has played a key role in the development of the likes of Gonçalo Ramos and current midfield ace João Neves.

Benfica has also identified talents like Darwin Núñez and Chelsea midfielder Enzo Fernández in recent years before selling them on for huge sums of money. The club has made around $345m (£275m/€322m) in net profit over the last six seasons.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.liverpool.com/liverpool-fc-news/features/fsg-liverpool-pedro-marques-benfica-28922569.amp

https://theathletic.com/5385022/2024...rques-benfica/

Edited by AncalagonTheBlack

Strikes me, United are finally assembling a proper professional backroom team. It will still take years before they are competitive in the Premier League though - most of their players are unsellable and so the recruitment department will be very restricted in improving the squad.

1 minute ago, BigFatCoward said:

You think Ramsdale is better than Pope? 

Aye. But I am admittedly biased. 

Edited by Spockydog

• Ran locked this topic