US Politics: The sides have gotten… weird

3 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

And while Ukrainian, Zelenskyy is ethnically Russian and grew up speaking Russian.

[edit for spelling thank you KBF]

According to Wikipedia, though Zelenskyy grew up primarily speaking Russian, he was born to a Ukrainian Jewish family.  I think in terms of his main "ethnicity" most people would say he's ethnically Jewish, with Ukrainian nationality and Russian cultural background, if Wikipedia is correct.

12 minutes ago, Ormond said:

According to Wikipedia, though Zelenskyy grew up primarily speaking Russian, he was born to a Ukrainian Jewish family.  I think in terms of his main "ethnicity" most people would say he's ethnically Jewish, with Ukrainian nationality and Russian cultural background, if Wikipedia is correct.

Well… according to Putin… if you speak Russian you are Russian… so…

4 hours ago, JGP said:

M I L K S O P

Just keeping it real. War is a part of life that we've been spared in the west for a long time. 

I supported sending weapons and cash to Ukraine, still support sending weapons (though not cash). But the arguments for doing so are strategic in nature, not based on morality. Russia being weakened as a global actor pleases me and my U.S.-based interests.

Yeah there was a short period after the Cold War where I was really pulling for Russia and for a whole peace dividend thingy.

Putin has totally evaporated any of those feelings now that his true nature has been exposed, hes something the World will be better off when he takes his last breath.

3 hours ago, Jace, Extat said:

Just keeping it real. War is a part of life that we've been spared in the west for a long time. 

I supported sending weapons and cash to Ukraine, still support sending weapons (though not cash). But the arguments for doing so are strategic in nature, not based on morality. Russia being weakened as a global actor pleases me and my U.S.-based interests.

That’s a fairly reasonable position. I personally believe that supporting Ukraine is both moral and strategic for the West. 

15 minutes ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

So you're that Louisiana swamp penguin who drinks beer starting at noon on Thursdays cause it's your day off? 

Respect. 

Negative.

I believe it has been well established I don't particularly like beer, and usually avoid it.

I drink whiskey.

And I'm a Louisiana Mud Penguin

Edited by A True Kaniggit

International thread is locked so im posting this news here.

The Houthi rebels have managed to sink a Red Sea cargo vessel.

The reason I consider that noteworthy is that its their first success after dozens of attack attempts. The Naval performance in that theatre has been simply outstanding, shooting down drones, taking out launch platforms, anti-mine and decoy, thwarting all comers.

The terrorists only have to get lucky once, thankfully our brave sailors are out there protecting navigation with a 99% success rate.

Edited by DireWolfSpirit