Football: Let's All Laugh at Chelsea

15 minutes ago, Denvek said:

What's the reason the point deduction only applies if they are relegated, and not right now the way Everton's and Forest's did?

I believe its because their offences took place in the EFL. 

9 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

I believe its because their offences took place in the EFL. 

That would be my assumption. Similarly, if Leicester win promotion, they'll likely start on minus points because their offences occurred when they were in the PL.

Sheffield United didn't breach PSR or FFP spending rules but rather they defaulted on payments to other clubs during the 2022/2023 season. A further two point deduction has been suspended until the end of next season but will be activated should they default on any payment due to another club under a transfer or compensation agreement for more than five business days from the due date for payment. The club has also agreed to pay the EFL's costs totalling £310,455.

Edited by Consigliere

So, er, this isn’t going as expected. Gasperini has out Klopped Klopp here. We just can’t deal with their pressing at all. I think this is comfortably the best anyone has played against us all season.

On the plus side I don’t think we’ll need to worry about playing Thursday Sunday for the rest of the season.

Liverpool have struggled against the top 6 in the PL all season, and now failing badly against the first tough opponent in Europe.  We’ve been good against mid-table all season, but don’t look to have any edge for the games that will decide trophies.

• polishgenius changed the title to Football: Let's All Laugh at Liverpool

More like a lesson in how to put your chances away.

This could/should've been a 2-2 or 2-3 game from Liverpool's perspective.

Elliott was a bit unfortunate in the first half, when he double checked the goal frame with one shot.

Salah should have scored and so should have Darwin.

7 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Liverpool have struggled against the top 6 in the PL all season, and now failing badly against the first tough opponent in Europe.  We’ve been good against mid-table all season, but don’t look to have any edge for the games that will decide trophies.

I genuinely don’t think it’s that. I think Gasperini really out coached Klopp on this one. They had a funky man to man pressing system that we couldn’t get a handle on at all. We really struggled to the ball into midfield at all.

4 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

More like a lesson in how to put your chances away.

This could/should've been a 2-2 or 2-3 game from Liverpool's perspective.

Nah, Atalanta were comfortably the better side. Kelleher made a couple of great saves to keep it down to 3 goals for them.

Edited by ljkeane

7 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Yeah, but Kelleher is also sorta on the hook for Atalanta's first.

That was a bit of a weird one. I thought it must have been deflected the way the shot's mishit and then just goes through him, when he was otherwise having a very good game, but no. He did get absolutely smashed in the face with the ball so maybe he was still struggling a bit with his vision or something. :dunno:

Some of these players need to be cleared out in the summer by the new coach.

Origi at least scored important game winning goals for us. This Nunez is a horrible finisher! Waste of 80 million.

All Diaz does is dribble, dribble , dribble......

God I miss Mane! :(

Slobo has turned into Bozo unfortunately. 

In short, not convinced by these new players so far.

I'm really looking forward to what Amorim can do with this squad, especially defensively.

An excellent in-depth analysis of his tactics if anyone's interested:

https://thirdmanruns.wordpress.com/2024/04/01/evaluating-ruben-amorims-game-model-at-sporting-cp-part-1/

https://thirdmanruns.wordpress.com/2024/04/01/evaluating-ruben-amorims-game-model-can-he-make-the-jump-part-2/

Core Tactical Approach

Unless anyone has footage from his Casa Pia third division games which proves otherwise, Amorim has always used a 3-4-3 base system for all his teams. This naturally has some variations in different phases of play – and indeed it’s these variations that mark him as an interesting coach tactically (which will be discussed in detail in Part 2 and Part 3) – but his core idea has always been built on a clear positional 3-4-3 foundation with inside forwards3 in the half spaces, wing backs providing width and 3 CBs to recycle possession and provide security at the back, enjoying the strong positional coverage that the formation naturally brings.

Amorim’s tactical approach is founded upon a solid defence. Having gone almost two decades without a title, Amorim’s prioritised solidity without the ball as the way to bridge the gap to FC Porto and Benfica, with Sporting conceding the lowest xGA in the league in both of his first two full seasons, and again currently lead the way this season.4

Europa League went pretty poorly for England. Arsenal/City/Villa need to win and Liverpool has to find some way to come from behind. West Ham won't beat Leverkusen. All the pts are the same at this stage so it's just about moving on and eliminating German teams (i.e., Bayern and Dortmund).

Edited by Mexal

While on paper it's possible, I don't think Liverpool will be able to pull a repeat of the Barcelona comeback with a Darwin Nunez who can't score to save his life and an out of form Salah. Maybe if Jota can play at least 60 min there's a chance and if McAllister, Endo and Szoboszlai have a good game. And Atalanta are a different team than Barcelona were, they can retreat and defend better.

Liverpool can put Atalanta under pressure if they can get the first goal. Problem is this Liverpool team does give the opponent a chance on the counter as they are easier to play through. The midfield of Fabinho-Henderson-Wijnaldum/Milner were pressing monsters who could suffocate opponents in a manner that the current midfielders cannot.

Still fairly confident that England will finish top 2 in the coefficient standings and get an extra CL spot. Would have been a near certainty had one or both of Newcastle and Man United gotten out of their groups or even dropped into the Europa League. Newcastle is more understandable as they were in the toughest group whereas United's performance was particularly disgraceful finishing last in a group containing Copenhagen and Galatasaray.

6 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Last few days haven't been great for premier league getting a 5th CL spot. 

5 places is ridiculous anway. This does nothing but devalue the competition. 

• polishgenius changed the title to Football: Let's All Laugh at Chelsea