Football: Let's All Laugh at Chelsea

38 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

5 places is ridiculous anway. This does nothing but devalue the competition. 

At this point, it's really hard to devalue the competition any more than it already is. They have been working really hard recently to do that though so hats off to them.

3 hours ago, Spockydog said:

5 places is ridiculous anway. This does nothing but devalue the competition. 

5 places sometimes happens already if the CL or EL winner doesn't finish in their league's top 4 (e.g. Spain had 5 this year). Used to be that if the CL winner didn't qualify anyway through league position they'd kick the lowest placed qualifying (non-champion) team from their country down to the UEFA Cup, but that changed in 2005 when UEFA realised there was no way they'd get away with kicking Everton out to let Liverpool in.

• polishgenius changed the title to Football: Let's All Laugh at van de Ven
Just now, House Cambodia said:

Been doing so well this season. Got found out?

I think teams figured us out in 2024 and we've been mostly riding our luck.

I considered Van de Ven our best player until today, but to be fair to him he's getting horribly exposed by Newcastle's brilliant counter-attacks.

I love Son but playing him deep is an exceptionally dumb idea.

9 minutes ago, Darryk said:

I considered Van de Ven our best player until today, but to be fair to him he's getting horribly exposed by Newcastle's brilliant counter-attacks.

I haven't paid that much attention to him this season, but my feeling is that he's to some extent relying on his pace to recover and Isak's fast and nimble enough that it's not enough to get him there. 

Dier said Ange doesn't do tactical work in training and it shows. Pass pass pass pass pass pass lose ball get counterattacked concede. Then to rub salt in the wound we're shit at set pieces. We've been figured out and will struggle top be midtable next season.

9 minutes ago, Darryk said:

Dier said Ange doesn't do tactical work in training and it shows. Pass pass pass pass pass pass lose ball get counterattacked concede. Then to rub salt in the wound we're shit at set pieces. We've been figured out and will struggle top be midtable next season.

That would also depend on how well Spurs do in the transfer market and also how your direct competition fares next season. Spurs have had an advantage this season though with no European football and bombing out early of both domestic cups so your fixture list has been light compared to the teams around you which also made it easier to cope with injuries.

3 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

That would also depend on how well Spurs do in the transfer market and also how your direct competition fares next season. Spurs have had an advantage this season though with no European football and bombing out early of both domestic cups so your fixture list has been light compared to the teams around you which also made it easier to cope with injuries.

You'd expect Toon, Chelsea and even maybe Man United to improve next season. As you say, with Europa fixtures, Spurs will have more games. If Posty doesn't vary the tactics, they could well slump.

I think that if Spurs make good transfers suited to Postecoglu's system then he wouldn't really need to vary his tactics too much. We've already seen enough this season to say that Postecoglu has a very clear idea of how he wants to play and is pretty stubborn about it. It's been more beneficial than detrimental to Spurs this season and the football has certainly been much better to watch on the whole compared to the turgid football under Conte and Mourinho.

We at least seem to have found some form and improved our defence for the run in. At this time, if we have to sell either Bruno or Isak to balance the books, I'm probably going with Bruno. Assuming Isak isn't always in and out due to injury. 

Though I'm looking forward to getting Tonali back, and we now have tied Joelinton down. I think they could be fucking great together if we manage to keep Bruno. 

26 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

We at least seem to have found some form and improved our defence for the run in. At this time, if we have to sell either Bruno or Isak to balance the books, I'm probably going with Bruno. Assuming Isak isn't always in and out due to injury. 

Though I'm looking forward to getting Tonali back, and we now have tied Joelinton down. I think they could be fucking great together if we manage to keep Bruno. 

Want to take a bet on Tonali?

• polishgenius changed the title to Football: Let's All Laugh at Chelsea