Who’s 1st Chapter are you looking forward to most?

So when (if…) A Winds of Winter comes out, whose first chapter are you most looking forward to? I think the story could genuinely go in any direction so it is difficult, but for me, Bran shoots up there as I think I’m AWoW he will be a lot more experienced and skilled in the Weirwood Visions and we might get to see some more cool stuff, other than that it’s got to be Brienne/Jaime (whichever one of them gets to see the interaction with LS)

1. Bran is my top choice as well! His storyline is my favorite. Not just because of the plot and his growing connection to magic, but also because of the further challenges and temptations he will face. He has the sweetest disposition out of all his siblings, but he is far too young to be burdened by magic. Especially at such a massive scale. 
  2. Jon, you left us hanging the most, sir. We're all 100% sure he'll come back, it's just about finding out which of the many many theories regarding his fate is true.
  3. Theon/Reek. My poor, pathetic lad. Please don't leave us yet.

Just now, astarkchoice said:

Tyrion

Now in essos i can see him.solving who the harpy is as well as dropping snippets of awesome info from his days of reading about essos etc.

This is very true, throughout ADWD he was constantly bored and figuring out where he was and who he was with, Pentos, Jon, Aegon, Jorah, etc. so yeah I’m sure the Harpy will be very easy for him to crack (and win him Dany’s favour)

42 minutes ago, KingStoneheart said:

I’m excited for Theon/Reek too although does he not have a sample chapter out already? I’ve not read any of the sample chapters, but know pretty much everything that happens in them. This is why I left him out

That's true. For some reason I was thinking it wasn't the full chapter, but I guess it would be. :blush:

The main ones for me will be

1. Jon - Cliffhanger

2. Tyrion - battle of fire

3. Arya - Assassin training, is it over. Is she on the way back soon ?

4. Daenerys - Big change coming here, I have to think

Secondary

5. Jamie/Brienne - To begin with I wasn't interested in these POV's. But that UNO reverse card hit me hard. Invested now.

6 Sam - One of my favorite secondary character. I hope he learns magic.

Who am I kidding at this point. Apparently I want to see it all and will end up reading this book at a record pace, then re read it.

7. forgot the Gravedigger.

Jaime-Brienne and the BWB

Tyrion (and I want to see Inkpots, who is absolutely and without a doubt Gerion Lannister, being a complete coward in battle. Not that I disapprove of that.)

Victarion/Barristan etc - just to get this bloody battle out of the way

Jon not so much, he'll be in Ghost or a raven or something for while, it seems like it may be slow moving at the start.

Likewise Dany, seems like she'll be carted around as a prisoner for a while while battles happen.

Aeron - the start of Ragnorak! You can't say Euron sailing around with a hold full of mages etc is not a gripping concept.

Theon - hanging on Stannis' wall he seems to have become a new person - but I wonder if we'll actually get any more chapters from him - maybe we'll just see him through others eyes. Oh yes, we have the sacrifice business coming up - I wonder if that will happen.

That's it. Well I have gone beyond the OP question. I guess the top two I listed are my priorities.

Edited by Castellan

1. Melisandre/Jon- whoever has the first POV chapter at the Wall (probably Melisandre).  Obviously Jon will come back, but the question is how and in what state... and I want to see the resolution to Bowen Marsh and his fellow traitors versus the Free Folk.  And Melisandre's one published chapter was one of my favorites, so I'd like to see more.

2. Cersei- she's an unhinged lunatic, but her chapters are so interesting.  I want to see Cersei's viewpoint "pretending to be nice" while being more vengeful and hateful than ever.  And I want to see the state of Kings Landing post-Kevan's murder, her paranoid reaction of Tyrion supposedly killing him, the continued fallout between the Lannisters and the Tyrells/Faith, and the arrival of the undercover Sand Snakes.

3. Jaime/Brienne- whoever has the first POV between them.  I want to see Lady Stoneheart again, and I want to see Brienne's likely "plan" to save Podrick while probably trying to maintain her honor and not completely deceiving Jaime either.

4. Bran- for the reasons already stated in previous postings.  A lot has happened with him since we last saw him (as indicated by Theon's chapters), and I want to see what state he is in now.

5. Daenerys- her final written chapter in ADWD was pivotal in her character shift as she fully embraced "fire and blood", and now she is surrounded by a man she swore vengeance against with Drogon at her side.  I want to see how different she behaves from this point forward.

I would have included Theon, as his ADWD chapters were my favorite in the entire series, but he already has a preview chapter.  With the exception of Theon, I am slightly less interested in the character POVs of the chapters that were already released than the ones that weren't... but I'm interested in all of them.

What I'm not interested in seeing: any new POV characters (with the exception of Prologue/Epilogue).  I enjoy every single POV perspective (whether I "like" the character or not), but there are too many of them, and if we ever want the series to be completed, we don't need more.

Dany.  What happens when she confronts Khal Jhaqo?  I'd like him and his riders to get a blast of Dracarys, but without him being killed outright.  Dany tells him she's leaving him for the wolves, shadowcats, vultures and other predators to finish off.  When he begs for the mercy of a quick death, she tells him:  "I am not a merciful woman.  You, the slavers, my Sun and Stars, have cured me of that folly."

Melisandre (who I think will be the first POV at the Wall).  Did Jon die?  If so, how is he revived?  What happens to the conspirators?  Are Shireen and/or Gilly's child sacrificed to revive Jon?

Asha.  What is the outcome at the Battle of Winterfell?  Do we get to see the Freys falling through the ice on the lake?

Tyrion, Barristan, Theon are POV chapters I would very much like to see, but we already have them in some form.

Edited by SeanF

23 hours ago, Ser Arthurs Dawn said:

Jon, you left us hanging the most, sir. We're all 100% sure he'll come back, it's just about finding out which of the many many theories regarding his fate is true.

I'm assuming this won't be revealed in Jon's first POV chapter. It's possible it might be in the prologue from the pov of a side-character who dies by the end.

I re-read all the TWOW sample chapters last month - bl00dy loved every single one. I can't really prioritise - I'm basically ravenous for each and every one!

I want to know how Dany and Drogon will deal with the khalasar.  I look forward to her chapters.  George won't start with his big guns Tyrion, Jon, and Dany.  He wants to save the suspense.  We won't get back to the Dothraki Sea until after we go through a few points of view with lower ranking characters.  The prologue and then followed by a point of view chapter which is going to be somebody like Sansa, Arya, or Sam.  Get some fillers (appetizers to some fans) in before the main entree.  Play the bench before the Starters in this game. 

Reading this thread has made me realize how many of the major characters were left in cliffhanger, life-or-death situations at the end of Dance, or in the Winds preview chapters.

• John Snow: stabbed
  • Daenerys: confronting a Dothraki horde
  • Theon: a prisoner, possibly about to be executed
  • Tyrion and Jorah: in the middle of a war
  • Brienne and Jaime: tangled up with Lady Stoneheart
  • Aeron: chained to the prow of a warship
  • Ser Barristan (perhaps not a "major" character, but I like the guy): about to go into battle
  • Victarion: ditto

Did I forget anyone?