US Politics: Time for the Stormy season with a chance of conviction

Just now, IheartIheartTesla said:

His stance on climate change has flipped, and he's now way to the right of Biden on that issue. Cant imagine many progressives would be compelled to vote for him. 

It is hard to imagine anyone wanting to vote for him on policy grounds.  He is running as a protest candidate - "If you hate Trump and Biden, vote for me!"  The problem is that if someone feels compelled to come out and vote, they probably have an opinion on whether Biden or Trump is preferable.  I'm sure plenty of nonvoters would support Kennedy, but that's not exactly meaningful. 

It is hard to take any 3rd party candidate for President seriously, but at least the Libertarians and the Greens have an actual platform and could potentially appeal to voters on that basis.  Kennedy is essentially running a vanity campaign. 

1 minute ago, Maithanet said:

It is hard to imagine anyone wanting to vote for him on policy grounds.  He is running as a protest candidate - "If you hate Trump and Biden, vote for me!"  The problem is that if someone feels compelled to come out and vote, they probably have an opinion on whether Biden or Trump is preferable.  I'm sure plenty of nonvoters would support Kennedy, but that's not exactly meaningful. 

It is hard to take any 3rd party candidate for President seriously, but at least the Libertarians and the Greens have an actual platform and could potentially appeal to voters on that basis.  Kennedy is essentially running a vanity campaign. 

Anti-Vax conservatives in my area love RFK. Interestingly, they also tend to be pro-Russia.

12 minutes ago, ThinkerX said:

Anti-Vax conservatives in my area love RFK. Interestingly, they also tend to be pro-Russia.

But they'll still overwhelmingly vote for Trump.  I know third party candidates always see their numbers drop as the election approaches, but I expect RFK will suffer particularly badly.  Nationals polls had him at ~15% last fall, down to 8% today.  I would be very surprised if he can hold onto even a third of that when actual votes get counted. 

Presidency and Executive Power! Core Powers!  Non-core Power!  Elected Nominee in the pas!  Non-elected Nominee now!  Future uses of criminal law elections! Bad Political Motive!  Non-Political Motive!  Wishing to stay in power is not a motive to consider!  Vindictive investigation and prosecution  of previous presidents! No concern of now but the future! When bad things happen because immunity then proved not to be immunity now! No regime of accountability of past presidents.  Reagan! Clinton!

Public authority or Immunity - Motive?

Good grief.

Edited by Zorral

7 hours ago, DMC said:

Biden, Trump tied for first time in months in 3-way race with RFK Jr

Thought I’d share this because it aligns with something I noticed yesterday looking at RCP’s latest polls - that in a number of them, Biden is actually doing slightly better in the polls that include the third party candidates than in head-to-heads with Trump

The first thing you see at RCP are seven swing state polls from Bloomberg/Morning Consult.  Should be noted these still don’t look good for Biden, but interestingly, in three of the states Biden is actually doing a point better in the 5-way race than the head-to-head.  The margin is the same in two other states, and Trump is doing better in the 5-way in the last two (much better in Nevada).

Trump apparently also said as much, that he's somewhat worried about RFK. 

4 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Actually, I'm finding the immunity proceedings fascinating.

The Government (special counsel) isn’t willing to say there are no Presidential acts that are immune… they’re trying to split the baby.  

Edited by Ser Scot A Ellison

My favorite part of the above is that anyone who actually carries out that order or facilitates that order can (by the defense counsel's viewpoint) be tried and convicted without any other requirements, including officials who can be impeached. 

But the president cannot. Very weird, that. 

23 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

My favorite part of the above is that anyone who actually carries out that order or facilitates that order can (by the defense counsel's viewpoint) be tried and convicted without any other requirements, including officials who can be impeached. 

But the president cannot. Very weird, that. 

But the President can pardon whoever carried out the order, so it's all gravy.

The logical conclusion of this argument, which hopefully SCOTUS realizes, is that it would allow Biden to become a literal dictator if he wanted; since he's the one who currently has the official duties of the president.

38 minutes ago, Fez said:

But the President can pardon whoever carried out the order, so it's all gravy.

The logical conclusion of this argument, which hopefully SCOTUS realizes, is that it would allow Biden to become a literal dictator if he wanted; since he's the one who currently has the official duties of the president.

They probably see Biden as weak, and too steeped in political norms to ever do such a thing. So it's not even a worry for them to seriously consider.

Though on the off chance that is a possibility for them, they are also going to find a way to just have this pertain to what Trump did, not all out immunity, to save themselves from being targets of a position of power that is now completely unaccountable and has the power to kill opponents with no oversight.

Edited by Dawn Vibration

Clarence Thomas? He did miss arguments again the other day.

34 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

There are so many times when I read this thread that I just want to say, “is he dead yet?”, and I feel like I don’t have to explain who “he” is.

25 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

No.  Thomas was present and asking questions.

Yeah, it was about a week ago, there was news stories. It happened before though, he's been having at least some amount of medical problems.

4 hours ago, Maithanet said:

But they'll still overwhelmingly vote for Trump.  I know third party candidates always see their numbers drop as the election approaches, but I expect RFK will suffer particularly badly.  Nationals polls had him at ~15% last fall, down to 8% today.  I would be very surprised if he can hold onto even a third of that when actual votes get counted.

I’ve anticipated much the same, but we are approaching the point where I feel like I at least have to acknowledge the possibility he might get a substantial portion of the vote, at least in some swing states.  Thus turning my attention to who he’s hurting more.

Donald Trump had a fantastic day in the Supreme Court today:

Thursday’s argument in Trump v. United States was a disaster for Special Counsel Jack Smith, and for anyone who believes that the president of the United States should be subject to prosecution if they commit a crime.

At least five of the Court’s Republicans seemed eager to, at the very least, permit Trump to delay his federal criminal trial for attempting to steal the 2020 election until after this November’s election. And the one GOP appointee who seemed to hedge the most, Chief Justice John Roberts, also seemed to think that Trump enjoys at least some immunity from criminal prosecution.

• A Horse Named Stranger changed the title to US Politics: Time for the Stormy season with a chance of conviction
  • Ran locked this topic