WorldCon

Home is a good place... although I think sleeping in a room without 3 other people seems pointless and sad now.

:cheers: to my roomies! Only annoyance was the stupid hotel shorting us towels... but the hotel rates an overall FAIL anyway...

You know, I'm sure George is tired about ADwD questions ... so here's some suggested non-ADwD questions! ;)

1) Can he confirm that Daenerys Targaryen has been cast for the HBO series? An actress has recently twittered that she was told they were no longer looking for someone for the role. (Might be best to ask this one when he's had some Irish Mist... ;)

George said they've got it down to three possiblilities, each with strengths and weaknesses. He pointed out that it's all very well to describe Daenerys as 'the most beautiful woman in the world' but it does make it quite difficult to cast her.

Actually, I'm surprised that London seems to be favoured over a return to the former favoured British convention location of Brighton. In August that could be quite pleasent.

Unfortunately, older members of the international Science Fiction communities still are having nightmares about Brighton WorldCons, the Metropole Hotel and the phrase "Yankee Scum".

No, really, you can even google it.

Oof! The Bran chapter write-up is now in the ADwD forum, along with comments from this thread to preserve it's non-spoilerific quality. :)

Parris, I googled "Brighton metropole yankee scum" and found this on a Fugitsu site:

A few years back I was seconded to ICL's El Salvador offices where they were installing a new Team Server for the then Dictatorship. We were just on our way back from El Pubo when we got caught in some cross-fire. It seems that the local rebel forces, financed by the "Yankee scum government" (the dictator's words, not mine), had decided that it was time to oust the government. So there we were in my Vauxhall Astra van in lovely camouflage colours, taking the brunt of the fire from both sides. It's amazing what those cars can take. Vauxhall should be proud that their engine block can deflect a 33mm anti-tank round at 200 feet. Mind you, after that I could never get the air conditioning to work. Eventually we were able to negotiate a very good deal for the rebels, and they now get a minimum of twenty hours a week on the system with full Internet access. I've still got somewhere the AK47 assault rifle they presented me with as a token of their gratitude.

:lol: Not quite what I was expecting! Further googling did bring up something more relevant, but didn't seriously dish the dirt on it. Oh well.

Thanks for the summary! It's exciting to hear about a Bran chapter. Sigh. I'm trying so hard not to read the spoiler chapters in the books forum, but I really want the book to be out.

I feel like there was promised a picture of a certain boarder in some kind of cat suit. Was I wrong about this?

I don't think I'm wrong in saying this and this is what you're looking for. :)

I made it safe to my next destination city, about 1:15am. Turns out mycrazy job things wants us up for registration at 5:45am (yes, AM) and we're schelduled with training until 7pm. I want to die about right now. So basically it will be a bit before I get my pics and con report up.

But it was awesome hanging out, guys!

LJBG,

I feel your pain I'm back in the office and really groggy.

When I got to the airport yesterday and checked in at the ticket counter the United ticketing agent explained very patiently that I was not booked on the 7:15 PM flight from Truedau to Dulles. I very patiently explained that I was. That I had spoken to the United CSR back on Wednesday of last week and specifically asked if I was confirmed for the 8/10/2009 7:15 PM flight. The ticketing agent said there was nothing to show that.

Long story short it turns out the CSR for United had booked me on the 7:15 flight out of Truedau on 8/6/2009. Needless to say that would have made for a very short Worldcon. I felt my heart drop to my feet and more than likely the blood drained from my face (I'm pretty pale to begin with). Then the agent advised I could fly stand-by. I suddenly had visions of sleeping in the airport waiting for the 9 AM flight on 8/11/2009.

Obviously I got on the plane. A writer named Richard Foss who had attended Worldcon with his wife and children was on the same plane and helped calm me down alot. I had a really wonderful conversation with all of them while waiting to see if I was going to become a perminant resident of Trudeau international airport.

It turns out he's friends with Neil Gaimen, he and his wife met at Worldcon, and they've been coming together for more than 30 years. I swear I would have had a heart attack while waiting for the plane had it not been for he and his family. I think they may be SMOFS but I'm not sure. His wife mentioned that she had been helping run the convention. Both his son and daughter had gone to the KaffeeKlatch with Neil Gaimen. His daughter had drawn a series of cartoons based upon Gaimen's story's at his panel on his "other" interests.

The flight to Dulles was rather cool. We had to dodge thunderstorms the whole way. We ended up flying over Long Island and along the East Coast before turning west for Dulles. The thunderstorms that were raging over Conneticut and upstate New York were absolutely awesome to behold.

I'm glad to be home. I'm starting to dig through the work on my desk. It was wonderful to be crushed under small blond hugs last night.

I'm looking forward to further con reports.

I'd love to post about it on the blog, if only there were details! When was it mentioned and did GRRM say anything regarding his level of participation? He was a writer and a supervising producer, IIRC, on the show, so he would probably not be involved to any real degree -- the Nicole Kidman rumor makes it sound like he's just heard about this from colleagues who _are_ involved...

I know! Biggest news of the Con and nobody mentions it?

I'm at WorldCon and this is the first I've freaking heard of it!

Obviously spent far too much time hanging out in Foufounes with that bunch of schwankers :P

For the record, here is the list of Lords, Ladys, Princesses, Knights and Dames named at the party. The lords and ladies were actually Ducs, Duchesses, Comtes, or Comtessas, though I didn't actually keep track of who was what as George wasn't consistent with the titles anyway.

Princess Chataya

Lady Kat

Lady Regina

Lord Fenryng

Lady Kama

Lord John

Lord Mormont

Lord X (le Duc X, I think)

Lord JetBoyGirl

Lady Xray, the Comtesse de Cocktail

The Chevaliers de Poutine:

Ser Scot the Swift