A Thread for Small Questions XVII

Angalin

Yes, Rune and Doug, my mistake. I thought we were talking about princes in general. Stil, the point Grumpkin makes about Tommen is valid, I think...

“His Grace is almost nine, and eager to learn. At his age he should be a squire. Someone has to teach him.”

So Loras thinks Tommen should be a squire, and Cersei never thinks Tommen shouldn't be a squire as royalty, just that she won't have Loras influencing him.

“His Grace is almost nine, and eager to learn. At his age he should be a squire. Someone has to teach him.” So Loras thinks Tommen should be a squire, and Cersei never thinks Tommen shouldn't be a squire as royalty, just that she won't have Loras influencing him.

Very true, we don't have evidence to suggest that the king/heir or member of the King's immediate family can't be a squire. We just haven't seen it happen yet.

I do think it would be an awesome tradition if the King's heir was squire to the Lord Commander of the Kingsguard. And other sons squire for other members of the Kingsguard (maybe going by length of tenure to not cause dissension among the members of the KG). But I digress...

On Jon Connington's wiki page it says that he squired with Rhaegar in King's Landing but there's no reference to look it up in the books and I can't find any other mention of it.

Found it.

"No, I cannot claim I knew Prince Rhaegar. Not as your false father did. Lord Connington was the prince's dearest friend, was he not?"

Young Griff pushed a lock of blue hair out of his eyes. "They were squires together at King's Landing."

On Jon Connington's wiki page it says that he squired with Rhaegar in King's Landing but there's no reference to look it up in the books and I can't find any other mention of it.

Found it.

"No, I cannot claim I knew Prince Rhaegar. Not as your false father did. Lord Connington was the prince's dearest friend, was he not?"

Young Griff pushed a lock of blue hair out of his eyes. "They were squires together at King's Landing."

Spot on! I knew I'd read something about Rhaegar squiring, and I was sure it was in ADwD. Tks for the quote!

On Jon Connington's wiki page it says that he squired with Rhaegar in King's Landing but there's no reference to look it up in the books and I can't find any other mention of it. Found it. "No, I cannot claim I knew Prince Rhaegar. Not as your false father did. Lord Connington was the prince's dearest friend, was he not?" Young Griff pushed a lock of blue hair out of his eyes. "They were squires together at King's Landing."

Well how about that? Well quoted

Princes, both the heir and others, becoming knights for the most part would be taken for granted. There would be so many knights to do tasks for and train with around a castle that they would be knighted in due course.

The story of Rhaegar turning up in front of Ser Willem Darry comes to mind. Rhaegar went to the master-at-arms and got training.

It would be a political nightmare to have a crown prince actually squire for anyone that was not completely under the control of the king. Likely Rhaegar squired for Ser Willem Darry, master-at-arms of the Red Keep.

In ASoS, Oleanna Tyrell, the Queen of Thorns says, "They tried to marry me to a Targaryen once, but I soon put an end to that." (Sansa I)

Do we know which Targaryen she was to be set up with? Any speculations that we can make based on ages of Targaryens and her age?

Do we know which Targaryen she was to be set up with? Any speculations that we can make based on ages of Targaryens and her age?

I don't think we know for sure who it was. I doubt it was Aemon, as he would have been studying at the Citadel and preparing to take his maester's vows.

In ASoS, Oleanna Tyrell, the Queen of Thorns says, "They tried to marry me to a Targaryen once, but I soon put an end to that." (Sansa I)

In the wiki it states that Olena is older than Hoster would be. He was about 65 when he died. By my math Aerys would be about 60 if he was alive, and his father about 80 maybe.... I'm guessing that perhaps Aerys's uncle (one of Aegon V's 3 sons) was the suitor. Duncan the small died at summerhall and was in love with Jenny of Oldstones, and I doubt it would be Aerys' dad Jaehaerys. It was most likely the un-named son. He would probably be about 70-80 if he was alive... which seems a good match for Olena (older than 65)

edit to add: another possible match might be the un-named son of Aerion Brightflame Targaryen who was skipped over in the sucession. Aerion lived from 192-233 AL I believe. So his son might have been born about 210 and be about 90 now. He might be a bit old for Olenna though. Probably about 20 years older... maybe it was a son of his, who would be closer to her in age. (This is assuming that Aerion's son and wife stayed in Westeros when he was exiled to Essos)

"Yet he must have dozed. When he woke, his legs were stiff and cramped and the candle had long since

Page 378 burned out. Ghost stood on his hind legs, scrabbling at the door. Jon was startled to see how tall he'd

grown. "Ghost, what is it?" he called softly. The direwolf turned his head and looked down at him, baring

his fangs in a silent snarl. Has he gone mad? Jon wondered. "It's me, Ghost," he murmured, trying not

to sound afraid. Yet he was trembling, violently. When had it gotten so cold?" GoT pg 379

This Scene is similar to the one here

" He was not wrong, as Jon discovered for himself when he slipped inside the doors. The big white

direwolf would not lie still. He paced from one end of the armory to the other, past the cold forge and

back again. “Easy, Ghost,” Jon called. “Down. Sit, Ghost. Down.” Yet when he made to touch him, the

wolf bristled and bared his teeth. It’s that bloody boar. Even in here, Ghost can smell his stink." aDwD pg.773

During my first read I thought it was him reacting to the danger that faced Jon. But maybe its Wights or the others that he is reacting to.

I was just wondering about the Ryswells. In ADWD, Reek III, Roose Bolton says:

"Barbrey Dustin is my second wife's younger sister, Rodrik Ryswells's daughter, sister to Roger, Rickard, and mine own namesake, Roose, cousin to the other Ryswells."

So Roger, RIckard and Roose are all Lord Rodrik's sons, and they have various unnamed cousins. But in the appendix and the Wiki, they are called cousins. Which is correct?

I don't think that the heir to the crown is supposed to squire for anyone. At least I don't think we've heard of Rhaegar squiring either, or Valarr in the D&E times. And I can see how it would be preferable for a future king to stay away from potential disputes among his subjects.

IIRC, Rhaegar was a squire with Jon Connington. That is how they first became acquainted.

Oops. I should have kept reading the posts. This was pointed out earlier. Sorry.

I was just wondering about the Ryswells. In ADWD, Reek III, Roose Bolton says: "Barbrey Dustin is my second wife's younger sister, Rodrik Ryswells's daughter, sister to Roger, Rickard, and mine own namesake, Roose, cousin to the other Ryswells." So Roger, RIckard and Roose are all Lord Rodrik's sons, and they have various unnamed cousins. But in the appendix and the Wiki, they are called cousins. Which is correct?

This has always perplexed me. They were originally stated as quarrelsome cousins in the AFfC appendix and then that quote throws it into further disarray. Much like the Estermonts!

I gathered from that quote that Rickard & Roger are Barbrey & Bethany Ryswell's brothers, all of whom are children of Rodrik Ryswell. And that Roose Ryswell is a cousin to them.

It still winds me up aswell that there wasn't a Ryswell that went south with Robb. Barbrey said that she couldn't ignore the summons and sent a token force (probably under Ronnel Stout) but while the Ryswell's did send men, they had no one to lead them. Could it be that they plotted with Bolton from before Theon's treachery?

I don't think you can that read that quote as saying Roose is a cousin - "sister to Roger, Rickard and mine own namesake, Roose, cousin to the other Ryswells." To me, that implies that Roger, Rickard and Roose are all Barbrey's brothers, and she also has some unnamed Ryswell cousins.

Perhaps some of these cousins went with Robb but were mostly in Bolton's army and never mentioned?

Archived