A Memory of Light [FULL SPOILER DISCUSSION] Part 2

Stubby

Very underwhelming. Mixed feelings. Not sure who the blame, as someone who generally enjoys Sanderson's other works.

Anyone know who wrote what?

Jordan wrote almost all of the epilogue, where Sanderson himself has said that he doesn't really know what's going on.

I'm curious as to where you got the idea that Luthairs forces were culturally absorbed given that all the evidence is that the Seanchan "system" as it were came around due to Luthair and his descendants playing other forces off each other until they could be absorbed in the system set by Hawkwing's heirs. The exception is the damane but given how Ishmael had already poisoned Hawkwing (and likely his kids) into hating channelers this wasn't a big step culture-wise, more of a natural extension. One could argue that Ishamael created the Seanchan system through his contamination of Hawkwing I think but not that the system was subverted by native forces in the continent itself.

Seanchan was a mess when Hawkwing's forces arrived. The place was in a constant state of war, mostly because of competing channelers seizing power. This had a big influence on how the empire turned out.

They also, afaik, absorbed alot of the local culture, as conquerors of that sort tend to do, and that's where alot of their other odd customs (like slavery come from.

Semirhage was. As was Egwene, multiple times. What have you been reading?

Oops, it's been a while since I've read TGS. For some reason I thought that the spanking fetish ended in KOD. Perhaps all I can say is... There was less spanking then there would have been if Jordan wrote the books?

Sanderson has said more than once that he felt uncomfortable with the Semirhage spanking scene and only included it because it was in Jordan's notes. I assume Egwene's punishments were also in the draft material left behind.

The Grave Is No Bar To My Call.

:lol:

Sanderson has said more than once that he felt uncomfortable with the Semirhage spanking scene and only included it because it was in Jordan's notes. I assume Egwene's punishments were also in the draft material left behind.

Jordan clearly had a ridiculous spanking fetish. No other reason can explain why it's all over these books. From what I remember, KOD's Egwene storyline was basically her getting spanked, and then stoically enduring said spanking. And ha, the fact that the Semirhage scene was in Jordan's notes kind of sells this. So weird. Though maybe not as weird as a fat pink mast.

He did not. He never over-described them, never lingered on them. Those scenes are perfunctory, at best. And there is spanking due to the nature of the White Tower, not because of some weird wish to show it.

Right. Since it also happens to Egwene among the wise women of the Aiel, clearly Robert Jordan is showing that just as in every all female organization, spanking is deeply engrained into institutions and power culture. This is also definitely why it happens so often- Jordan is just trying to show us the nature of the White Tower. Through spanking. Over and over.

WTF?

And there is spanking due to the nature of the White Tower

And the Aiel, and Andor, apparently, since both of those societies also treat spanking grown men and women as normal. I wouldn't say Jordan had a fetish necessarily; most of the spanking references in the books are played as comedy. That he found that sort of thing funny might be regarded as revealing, I suppose. I imagine he may have intended it (or justified it to himself) as a reflection of the role of corporal punishment in pre-modern societies, but the fact that he went so often to spanking specifically... I don't know.

Right. Since it also happens to Egwene among the wise women of the Aiel, clearly Robert Jordan is showing that just as in every all female organization, spanking is deeply engrained into institutions and power culture. This is also definitely why it happens so often- Jordan is just trying to show us the nature of the White Tower. Through spanking. Over and over.

WTF?

Oh read the books, for gods sakes. The Aiel give useless labor and running as punishments. They strapped (no spanking) Egwene because that is the punishment she demanded for her toh, and she obviously demanded as punishment what she had seen being administered in the Tower. Egwene could have met her toh in any number of ways, it was entirely up to her. She could have demanded that she be given a useless task from each person she lied to, and it would have worked as well. Better, even.

Oh read the books, for gods sakes. The Aiel give useless labor and running as punishments. They strapped (no spanking) Egwene because that is the punishment she demanded for her toh, and she obviously demanded as punishment what she had seen being administered in the Tower. Egwene could have met her toh in any number of ways, it was entirely up to her. She could have demanded that she be given a useless task from each person she lied to, and it would have worked as well. Better, even.

Fionwe. You're going to have a hard time selling this one. The guy had a thing for spanking. No big deal. That and tugging on braids is kinda his thing.

Fionwe. You're going to have a hard time selling this one. The guy had a thing for spanking. No big deal. That and tugging on braids is kinda his thing.

See, I would have no problem buying this if he'd actually described the spankings. In a series filled with loving descriptions of food, clothes, room decorations, horses, weapons, baths, saunas, sword fights, and any number of other things, there's too much of "by the way, X spanked Y" here for there to be any sense of a fetish. Perhaps the fetish is among the readers? After all, there are any number of cases of people slapping each other too. I don't see anyone complaining of a slapping fetish!

Ha, exactly. I'm not saying this as an indictment of Robert Jordan's moral character. It's just a weird and slightly funny aspect of reading these books.

The problem is not whether it is a fetish or not, but that it's an appropriate punishment. Perhaps I could excuse the Aes Sedai. The Semirahge scene was laughable and could have been conveyed another way (although it was Aes Sedai doing it who have been brainwashed into thinking this was *the* go-to punishment). Perrin spanking Faile was horrible.

You can justify it, I suppose (except Faile), but you will never convince me it was a good direction to go. It's very juvenile.

Archived