NFL 2012 Superbowl Prelude: Gods Must Be Strong

Sivin

The stat 'wins' when discussing a qb is meaningless. It has no analytical, predictive or descriptive value. Even in your example - do you think that joe flacco was the real leader of the ravens in 2009? Of course not - it was and remains ray Lewis. You think that players are just that awe inspired by rugged good looks and fucking super models?

Again - do you really believe that somehow Brady got worse at these things after 2004?

The problem is not Brady in and of himself. Its with the talent that they have hung on him.

I've been saying that for THREE YEARS!

Also, Maroney wasn't that bad! He had that one year, didn't he? I feel like he had at least half a good year at the worst, right? There... there were a few Colts games where he was ok, weren't there? Maybe a 3rd quarter against the Bills or something?

Hey, I'd like to get it out there for Bonesy. When you sober/wake up, and read this I wanted you to know that I'm happy for you, man. I probably won't pick a team to really root for in the game until the day-of, but I'm glad you get to see your team back in the big one. I like to think that my awesome power of anti-football helped the 49'ers make the Superbowl after I tried to mock you with Kaep. :cheers:

Wasn't Asante Samuel homegrown? By belichick? Could've sworn he was. And branch wasn't resigned, he was traded, right? In an awesome move that ended up hurting both teams. Hard to top that.

Both are true- it ws 1:30 when I wrote the post so I was lacking a fact-checker. Samuel was very good but eventually we had to get rid of him because... I don't know because we had to. Because Darth Hoodie said so.

And another great D player we got was Richard Seymour who we traded for a #1 pick who turned into Nate Solder. Solder has- like it or not - played great since getting here. That trade did work out.

The Branch trade did not and lead, inexorably, to the 2006 loss in Indy.

I don't know that the pats need a great or even good cb. I do think they need either that or a good pass rush. Right now they have neither.

I feel the same way about great QBs as I do "shut down" corners- its so easy to say "go get one" but they are so few and far between. Talib WAS NOT a shut-down corner; he was just a good Corner Back. And that shows the drop in ability between Talib and everyone else on the Pats- Arrington, Dennard, McCourty, and some guy name Cole etc. They are just ... terrible. So terrible that I am not holding out ANY hope that the Pats will EVER get a shut-down corner- but they need a DECENT corner. And they don't have one (very unlikely they will resign Talib). The Pats do not even have that.

But the Pats make up for it by having no pass rush. Technically the Pats racked up two sacks in their 2 playoff games. They got to Flacco on a coverage sack (Talib was on the field) and Shaub just dropped the ball for the other. No Chandler Jones v. the Ravens. What can you do? Unless there is a great opportunity in the draft at DT or DE etc you pretty much HAVE to burn another pick at either WR or DB and - as stated above - the Pats have no good track record at either position. Ugh....

The vibe up here is that the Pats' O is to blame. At the same time the Ravens scored 21 points on three consecutive drives. What do you do about that? Unless you can stop that type of production you have to be the 2007 Pats every game.

And we saw how that turned out...

If the Pats let Welker go, the Jets will try to vastly overpay him; despite already being $20 million over the cap for next year. But they need to, they have such a weak WR corps. Something which is only going to be more obvious next year since it was announced yesterday that the team will implement a west coast offense; despite having pretty much none of the personnel for that.

My very belated comments...

1) Jim Harbaugh looked so angry the whole game I was almost surprised not to to see fire and smoke repeatedly shoot out of his mouth. Good thing he didn't, otherwise the entire Falcons and officials teams would have been charred meat.

2) If it wasn't a certainty before, it is now: Alex Smith can kiss his starting QB position with the 49ers goodbye. I wonder if the Niners will try to trade him to some desperate bottom-feeder team for some good future draft choices?

3) I could practically feel the game's momentum shifting from the Patriots to the Ravens when Welker dropped that pass. And sure enough, from that moment on the Ravens dominated. True, Welker got hit a lot, but still... Counting last Superbowl, that's two games where he made a critical drop. Ah well, Welker is hardly the only guilty party. The Patriots as a whole got outplayed. Ray Lewis is going to be insufferable for the next two weeks, but he and the Ravens earned it fair and square.

If we are throwing out awesomely deceptive Joe Flacco stats, how's this one: Joe Flacco is now the All-Time NFL leader in postseason road wins, with 6.

According to Boomer's CBS Sports Minute this morning, Joe Flacco.is but one win away from truly being considered elite...

There's no guarantee, but there are plenty of teams who have expressed interest already. Some in-division. I think it'd be foolish of anyone to get him unless they really were just a receiver away (which doesn't really describe anyone I can think of) but people will try. Hmm. Maybe the redskins.

Nope, cap penalty.

The deceptive thing about the Flacco Road game thing is that most great quarterbacks don't have a ton of road games. Has Tom Brady even played 6 road games, let alone won them? In order to win a ton of road games you need to be able to be good enough to make the playoffs, but not good enough to consistently get home field advantage. Then, you need to play better in the playoffs than you do in the regular season. And that is actually what Flacco has been doing really well, particularly the past two years. He has had some real stinkers in the regular season, but he has been reliably good to very good in the playoffs.

Nope, cap penalty.

Wide receiver isn't even on our list of needs. We need a RT, a nickel corner and both safeties.

My very belated comments...

1) Jim Harbaugh looked so angry the whole game I was almost surprised not to to see fire and smoke repeatedly shoot out of his mouth. Good thing he didn't, otherwise the entire Falcons and officials teams would have been charred meat.

2) If it wasn't a certainty before, it is now: Alex Smith can kiss his starting QB position with the 49ers goodbye. I wonder if the Niners will try to trade him to some desperate bottom-feeder team for some good future draft choices?

3) I could practically feel the game's momentum shifting from the Patriots to the Ravens when Welker dropped that pass. And sure enough, from that moment on the Ravens dominated. True, Welker got hit a lot, but still... Counting last Superbowl, that's two games where he made a critical drop. Ah well, Welker is hardly the only guilty party. The Patriots as a whole got outplayed. Ray Lewis is going to be insufferable for the next two weeks, but he and the Ravens earned it fair and square.

Wes Welker has lead the league in drops since 2007, and it is accepted that Alex Smith will be traded or cut. If I were him, I'd go to Arizona on the stipulation that they fix that O-line.

The deceptive thing about the Flacco Road game thing is that most great quarterbacks don't have a ton of road games. Has Tom Brady even played 6 road games, let alone won them? In order to win a ton of road games you need to be able to be good enough to make the playoffs, but not good enough to consistently get home field advantage. Then, you need to play better in the playoffs than you do in the regular season. And that is actually what Flacco has been doing really well, particularly the past two years. He has had some real stinkers in the regular season, but he has been reliably good to very good in the playoffs.

The Ravens have clearly been good enough the past 6 years to make the playoffs, but have slid in as a wildcard most of the time. Part of this is because they've played in what was considered the toughest division for most of that time. The Ravens and Steelers normally battle for the top spot, with the other getting a wildcard birth. This is a flaw in the NFL playoff seeding. There have been years when the Steelers and Ravens are clearly the top teams in the AFC, but 1 is seeded #1 or #2 and the other is seeded #5. I think that last year was a great example of this with Denver having a higher seed because they were division winners, but having a terrible record.

Flacco was getting road wins because the Steelers were division winners and the Ravens had to go on the road to play higher seeded teams that were obviously weaker.

Wes Welker has lead the league in drops since 2007

I think that's a bit misleading, though. I took a quick look at his stats and since 2007 he's been targeted 122 times or more (with 122 in 2010 being the lowest number of targets, 145 in 2007 the second lowest, 174 targets this season). It's just one of those things where if you're going to be targeted an ungodly amount, you're probably going to drop a few.

Wes Welker has lead the league in drops since 2007, and it is accepted that Alex Smith will be traded or cut. If I were him, I'd go to Arizona on the stipulation that they fix that O-line.

I've always just assumed he'll go where all 49ers QBs go to die... The Chiefs. Montana, Bono, Grbac...

I'm sporting my Niners tie here at work and I'm all set for the Harbowl! (Or is that the Super Baugh?!!?)

I think that's a bit misleading, though. I took a quick look at his stats and since 2007 he's been targeted 122 times or more (with 122 in 2010 being the lowest number of targets, 145 in 2007 the second lowest, 174 targets this season). It's just one of those things where if you're going to be targeted an ungodly amount, you're probably going to drop a few.

Its one of those reasons I hate the talking heads. Like the stat gets brought up all the time about the Ravens and running Ray Rice 25 times or more = wins. Well no shit... when they're ahead, they run the ball. When they're behind they don't.

Its one of those reasons I hate the talking heads. Like the stat gets brought up all the time about the Ravens and running Ray Rice 25 times or more = wins. Well no shit... when they're ahead, they run the ball. When they're behind they don't.

Yea, I agree with this 100%. Those kinds of stats bother me since they're not the best stat to look at. If we're talking about drops, it has to be drop%, not # of drops. ESPN did a thing about drops in AFC North and AJ Green lead it with 9 drops or something. But he was also targeted like 150 times so his drop percentage was much less than other guys. But because no one looks at that but just the number, it makes him out to be worse than he is. The same is with Welker.

Yep. Brandon Marshall and Calvin Johnson both had 10 drops, good for 2nd worst in the league. If you just look at that stat you might think negatively about them. Until you realize that Marshall had 190+ receptions and Johnson over 200, which means they dropped about 5% of the passes thrown to them.

Archived