Community: Six Seasons And A Movie or Three Seasons and a boycott

SpareBoot

JL--I might have disagreed with some of your posts here and thought to myself that you're putting to much into a television show, that you are, in fact, way smarter than anyone working on a TV show and no way could the depth of Community be anything but a coincidence. But you're not wrong, you're right, and recently I listened to Dan Harmon's guest appearances on the Indoor Kids podcast, and wow--there is no doubt in my mind now that Community is just as layered and complex as you wrote. I could listen to Harmon speak about nothing (which is what he did on the podcast) for hours, his view of the world around him is extremely interesting.

I'm saddened by what this show has become, but how could it be what it was without Harmon?

Let me be more clear. NBC is the devil. First Conan now this.

Agreed, but I am also strangely connected to them. They are the only ones who are willing to push "different" programming like the Office (initially it would have been cancelled but NBC wanted to grow its audience, and though its awful now, I am thankful for all the great years we got from it), like Parks and Rec, 30 Rock, Community, and even Conan. I hate the way he was treated but he wasn't the right fit for a successor to Leno I suppose, and Conan on TBS has been brilliant. We wouldn't have Conan without NBC though.

All these great shows are going away and if I quit watching NBC where do I go? The other channels are all so traditionally stale sitcommish that I can't stomach it. Then there is FOX which seems to just be Seth McFarlane's channel now.

This season has been uneven, certainly, but there are still some bright spots and gems (e.g. Herstory of Dance). What it lacks is any unifying themes and the pacing of most episodes has been off.

But the worst I can say of the show is that it's been inoffensive. It's kept the gentle charm that has perfused every season and keeps it from being loud, annoying, and obvious like Big Bang (itself the best of mediocre "regular" sitcoms).

Anyway I'm thankful we get to talk about it here without any of the inanity of the book/GoT forums.

JL--I might have disagreed with some of your posts here and thought to myself that you're putting to much into a television show, that you are, in fact, way smarter than anyone working on a TV show and no way could the depth of Community be anything but a coincidence. But you're not wrong, you're right, and recently I listened to Dan Harmon's guest appearances on the Indoor Kids podcast, and wow--there is no doubt in my mind now that Community is just as layered and complex as you wrote. I could listen to Harmon speak about nothing (which is what he did on the podcast) for hours, his view of the world around him is extremely interesting.

Yeah, y'know, I actually went through those exact same steps you did. Even as a big fan of the show from day one, felt like we all (including reviewers like the AV Club) had a tendency to overpraise it. But when you overload on Community with a mega rewatch, it's possible not to be astounded by all the brilliant little touches. I gotta check out that podcast. My mancrush on Dan Harmon is pretty ridiculous right now.

All these great shows are going away and if I quit watching NBC where do I go? The other channels are all so traditionally stale sitcommish that I can't stomach it. Then there is FOX which seems to just be Seth McFarlane's channel now.

So, so true. NBC is frustrating as hell, but I realize it's the only network I watch anymore. And I don't know what it says about me that it's also the one network failing big time. It's frustating to me that paint by numbers sitcoms on CBS get 4 times the viewership of anything on NBC.

Anyway on the most recent episode - hated it at first, started getting into it a little because Malcolm Mcdowell was so game (thought he's been a great choice for this season's professor), but finally settled on it being a pretty meh episode. Hate to say it but too often this season seems like characters are doing weak season one impressions of themselves. Jeff repeatedly stating he only cares about graduating, Abed is explicitly stating what references he wants to do. Throw in the throwaway explanation for why Pierce couldn't make it and the whole show feels like it's on autopilot. I mean even bad Community is good... and I did laugh out loud twice (at Britta's judging face and the darkest timeline bit at the end) but I really hope the show has something up its sleeve for these last few episodes because this season is starting to feel like not particularly ambitious fan fiction to me.

This season has been uneven, certainly, but there are still some bright spots and gems (e.g. Herstory of Dance). What it lacks is any unifying themes and the pacing of most episodes has been off.

But the worst I can say of the show is that it's been inoffensive. It's kept the gentle charm that has perfused every season and keeps it from being loud, annoying, and obvious like Big Bang (itself the best of mediocre "regular" sitcoms).

i share this attitude. its still very very decent. and worth watching

FX? its always sunny and wilfred are fantastic. and even if louie isnt youre bag, it certainly isnt stale.

i share this attitude. its still very very decent. and worth watching

FX? its always sunny and wilfred are fantastic. and even if louie isnt youre bag, it certainly isnt stale.

You forgot their best show, ARCHER!

Eh. Thought this was a mostly-weak episode. The Dark Timeline © bit at the end was funny. Chang bores me to no end, most of the characters are neither developing nor displaying different iterations of their lack-of-growth, and I felt the professor's "I have nowhere else to go and am lonely" was a formulaic sitcom staple I don't expect/want from Community. I tried to do a re-watch last night, and turned it off about five minutes in. It just wasn't an interesting story.

Not as cringe-worthy as The Office or How I Met Your Mother these days, but also not something that compels me really anticipate next week's show. *shrug*

You forgot their best show, ARCHER!

i did forget archer and it is pretty solid, but those other two are the two best comedies, on tv right now. plus they have the best drama in justified. the network is doing pretty well quality-wise

For me,

Archer > Wilfred by far, Wilfred is a solid, amusing diversion, but not something I can put anywhere near "the best".

I also think it would be for the best to end Wilfred after this upcoming season, I don't see it as something that will hold up for too many more.

And Louie > than all.

+That_scene_with_the_fish_farm.

...I have to admit I'm not even a huge fan of Herstory of Dance. I've never found "Britta'd" particularly funny.

Oh, Changnesia grant episode was a good one. Troy has such a lovely boyish smile each time he disagrees with Annie, melts my damn heart.

For me,

Archer > Wilfred by far, Wilfred is a solid, amusing diversion, but not something I can put anywhere near "the best".

I also think it would be for the best to end Wilfred after this upcoming season, I don't see it as something that will hold up for too many more.

And Louie > than all.

obviously, to each his own and all that. but wilfred manages to be dark and funny, where louie is dark(not as dark though) and rarely funny(outside of the standup bits) i really think that people that like louie ck for his standup wanted to love the show and have convinced themselves that the show is funny.

I think it is absolutely funny when it wants to be, but it isn't always going for funny.

it isnt but for me when it goes for funny, it is mildly funny. theres also a lot of huge misses on jokes too.

but when it goes for other things, thats when it really comes off the rails. it goes for other things, but doesnt hit them for me.

i did forget archer and it is pretty solid, but those other two are the two best comedies, on tv right now. plus they have the best drama in justified. the network is doing pretty well quality-wise

Although... half of the comedies on FX will be on a new network next year called FXX. :bang: #fustercluck

I could never get into to Archer. It has everything that would make me think I would love, but I couldn't get past the first three episodes.

This season has been below even my low expectations. Half the episodes don't make me laugh at all. Most of it is just rehashing old stuff from the previous seasons, only nowhere near as well executed.

And it's not just the writing which is the problem. The editing just seems off most of the time. I don't know, maybe I am too used to the Harmon era style since I've watched most of the episodes of the first seasons 5+ times. But the timing of everything and the rhythm of the scenes used to be spot on most of the time, now that's not the case IMO.

Wait, are there only like three more episodes of Community? The last being called "Advanced Introduction to Finality" apparently. Is this it then, officially cancelled? Is the rest of the season just not airing now, or not airing ever, or was never created in the first place?

This season has been below even my low expectations. Half the episodes don't make me laugh at all. Most of it is just rehashing old stuff from the previous seasons, only nowhere near as well executed.

And it's not just the writing which is the problem. The editing just seems off most of the time. I don't know, maybe I am too used to the Harmon era style since I've watched most of the episodes of the first seasons 5+ times. But the timing of everything and the rhythm of the scenes used to be spot on most of the time, now that's not the case IMO.

i said that way back at the beginning, its the editing that is the most off imo. i think in some ways, its the most unfair criticism, because its not edited poorly. its not like "the league" community in the harmon era was just the best edited sitcom, in history. some episodes, like the timeline one, rely completely on the editing to make it funny.

the writing has been down a notch or two, but its definitely been acceptable in most episodes this season. but i think most people that dont like this season are noticing the editing being off subconsciously

Wait, are there only like three more episodes of Community? The last being called "Advanced Introduction to Finality" apparently. Is this it then, officially cancelled? Is the rest of the season just not airing now, or not airing ever, or was never created in the first place?

it was only picked up for 13 episodes. so yes there are only three more.

as far as i can tell, its a complete toss up for coming back next year. really depends on how much nbc likes their new crop of pilots. we should find out either way soon

Archived