Walking Dead Season 3, Vol. 6 {No comics spoilers in here}

MisterOJ

As usual, I didn't really get to fully enjoy the episode without a bunch of interruptions/distractions, but was Hershel praying with his girls and then basically coming to terms with giving up michonne to save Maggie/Beth?

Looked to me like he was about to say "We can't do this", to me.

Didn't he say something like "there isn't anything I wouldn't do to save you girls,"? Or something to that effect?

Yeah, it was clear he was trying to justify giving up Michonne in that speech. However, he really didn't want to do it and was letting Rick make te decision. It was a choice no one wanted to make. Hence Rick's "Rictatorship No More" speech at the end of the episode.

Next week's episode will be interesting because it was written by Glenn Mazzara who was the primary architect of the Ricktatorship. Will he completely contradict the democratic new Rick his replacement showrunner established in last week's episode? Rumors are the "creative differences" he was fired over involved the portrayal of Rick (but I wasn't in the room so I don't know for sure).

My money is on Sasha (Tyreese's sister). She's rather hotheaded and judgmental, and that was before Ben got killed (twice). I could definitely see her snapping next episode.

It can't be Tyreese, because he can't shoot straight! ;)

Maybe Tyreese tries to shoot the Governor and takes out the Asthma kid. That would be some dark humour and I figure the bad shot thing has to come into play. More likely in a more honourable way.

Merle was definitely on a suicide mission, He knew he couldn't go back to the Governor and he knewhe wouldn't be accepted with Rick's crew. At the same time he knew his brother would have followed him if they were kicked out. The guy was a selfish racist but he loved his brother.

I was watching part of the first season last night (AMC is rerunning the entire series leading up to the finale Sunday), the episode with Merle handcuffed to the roof. His final rant on the roof is similar to his final words to the Governor, and final words period. He's praying as he tries to dislodge the handcuffs and when his request for divine intervention is met with zombies coming to the chained door, he starts ranting about how, "I'm not going to beg for your help. I'll never beg!"

His final line to the Governor, "I'm not going to beg you."

I was watching part of the first season last night (AMC is rerunning the entire series leading up to the finale Sunday), the episode with Merle handcuffed to the roof. His final rant on the roof is similar to his final words to the Governor, and final words period. He's praying as he tries to dislodge the handcuffs and when his request for divine intervention is met with zombies coming to the chained door, he starts ranting about how, "I'm not going to beg for your help. I'll never beg!"

His final line to the Governor, "I'm not going to beg you."

Whoa. Good find, I would not have picked up on that.

Seriously, poor Daryl. That last scene was really hard-hitting, Daryl trying to push Merle away... man.

Hate to say it but there is no way Hershel is surviving the battle.

Also, why did Merle unplug the phone? Did he use the wire to tie Michonne up?

I had not heard about the creative differences surrounding Rick. I did hear that Mazzara did not have a concrete plan for the back half of season 3 and rumors of delays for a lack of scripts, I am inclined to believe that one.

What I've heard (through the internet rumor mill) is that Mazzara was really into the idea of soldiers at war, the leadership that emerges under the stress of battle, the effects of PTSD. He used to make the writers watch war movies and so forth to get them in the right frame of mind. Kirkman (author of the comic) just wasn't keen on that particular shift in tone.

If you look at the episodes Gimple has written this season (Rick answers the crazy phone but eventually returns to the group for Judith's benefit; Rick reconnects with Morgan and sees a reflection of himself; last week's episode where Rick renounces the Ricktatorship) they're all about Rick gradually realizing how the ZA has affected and changed his character.

Contrast with the two Mazzara episodes this season (the group clears the prison and Rick cuts off Herschel's leg; Gov chases Andrea around while both sides prepare for war) they are primarily about gaining and holding territory, creating loyalties and alliances, and drawing a "line in the sand."

But of course we must realize a lot of decisions get made by committee on this type of show; just because one person is listed as "writer" for the episode does not mean they are responsible for 100% of the ideas.

Also, why did Merle unplug the phone? Did he use the wire to tie Michonne up?

Maybe he also never wanted a repeat of that hokey story? Speaking of which. Does the actress who played Lori just haunt the set of the show or did they film a bunch of scenes of her standing around before she left the show?

Well I honestly never liked him so I wasnt really that sympathetic towards him

Merle was freaking Sandor Clegane.

I thought the writers did a fantastic job of making him a true 3-D character in that last episode. Showing his rather pathetic weakness of character as a meth-head, Rick and Carol both nailing him with comments, the whole thing about he'd never killed anyone "before". His self-image of bravado had already taken a shot from the prior episode where Daryl had finally stood up to him, and this ep. was a very convincing, at least to me, continuation of that theme.

I'm not sure if I was sympathetic to him anymore than I was sympathetic to Clegane, but I suppose I got to the point where I want/wanted both of them to end well.

I think it is interesting that the leaders of both groups have gone through similar story arcs this season. They start off relatively well adjusted and then lose a close family member through the, admittedly guarded, inclusion of new people and then spin out into despair and madness. All this similarity allows the differences to stand out in stark contrast. The reason we root for Rick and the prison team is that underneath all the crazy circumstances Rick is and will continue to be a good person not (as we have clearly seen in the Govs case) a sadistic power hungry a**hole. So I've said all that to say this, there was no way I was buying Rick trading Michonne and also for all the complaints I've heard about this show, there is a plan, they are making choices as all artists do and I for one am happy with the results.

Archived