Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (Spoilers within)

Rhom

I'd be very surprised if they don't turn Skye and Ward into a romantic relationship, all the hints are there: the bickering, not understanding each other, the personal conversations where they learn about each other...

Then they have so little chemistry, that even i'm noticing it.

Maybe I'm just seeing things, but I do think the show is trying to show Ward and Skye as a possible couple or create some kind of tension between them (the scene with him teaching her how to take someone else's gun is food for their shippers).

Personally I'd prefer them as mentor and pupil because I think that would be more interesting, but as I said, I think the show is toying with the idea of making them a couple

Maybe I'm just seeing things, but I do think the show is trying to show Ward and Skye as a possible couple or create some kind of tension between them (the scene with him teaching her how to take someone else's gun is food for their shippers).

Personally I'd prefer them as mentor and pupil because I think that would be more interesting, but as I said, I think the show is toying with the idea of making them a couple

Not to mention after Ward comes to the courtyard and beats up 4 guys who decide not to pull a gun, she waits a second while he poses then runs to him all scared and puts her hands on his chest like she wanted to lay against him. It was bad.

Well they made that pretty obvious in episode 1 when ward took the truth serum. Hopefully Skye is just manipulating him but nothing suggests the show has any real teeth yet so I expect her to simply defect to SHIELD after some mild betrayal.

Yeah, as gorgeous as I think Skye is the shipping and putting her as essentially the lead of the show is a bad move.

Just reduces the tension. They could have filled that time with Mae's back story, so we might actually care that she's returning to combat since that was most important thing that happened in the short run. (Graviton being the obvious long run thing.)

The "muscle memory" thing with Coulson does tend to lend itself to him being a clone rather than resurrected. I thought that "he is dead" was level 7 and below, but that "no really, he was dead" was above level 8 based on what Robin said in ep 1. So does that mean that Melinda is above level 8 or am I just misremembering?

I don't remember any mention of 'level 8' whatsoever. The only thing I recall about Coulson's actually dying was 'he can never know', which seemed more a 'keep it secret from him as it'd be painful for him' thing than a(n extra) classified thing. It would be really weird if Coulson didn't have access to all levels of SHIELD security.

But yeah, I'm definitely leaning towards the 'he's a clone' camp with the muscle memory stuff.

AVClub gave Blacklist Ep 3 a D+, but this one gets a B? In fairness both were at the C+/B- range.

People are definitely fanwanking for Whedon and rationalizing how the show is okay because it's setting us up for something or other.

Yeah, that's kind of weird. This is the best episode so far, but The Blacklist is easily the superior show at this point.

I don't remember any mention of 'level 8' whatsoever. The only thing I recall about Coulson's actually dying was 'he can never know', which seemed more a 'keep it secret from him as it'd be painful for him' thing than a(n extra) classified thing. It would be really weird if Coulson didn't have access to all levels of SHIELD security.

I'm pretty sure there's a level only Fury knows about... but thinking about it, the only things in that level would be something Fury could do himself.

The Blacklist is easily the superior show at this point

I'm pretty sure there's a level only Fury knows about

Well, until either Banner or Stark hack the system. And yeah, Blacklist is preposterous but Spader is the best thing of this season.

I'm enjoying it. It doesn't have the depth of a Joss W. enterprise but as many have pointed out, all of St. Joss's creations have started out slow. Most people who watch Firefly on DVD don't get indignant until after "Shindig" and then end up screaming "how the fuck could they cancel this". So I'm giving this one plenty of rope. Besides, the Cavalry is taking over from here.

I'd be very surprised if they don't turn Skye and Ward into a romantic relationship, all the hints are there: the bickering, not understanding each other, the personal conversations where they learn about each other... I say they will have some intense moments before Skye betrays them, but she will realize she was wrong and will try to redeem herself, the team will feel some resentment but they'll forgive her, except Ward, who is so hurt by her betrayal he will shut her out completely, although he will forgive her in time.

I totally agree. If they don't end up as a couple, I will... do something outrageous :)

This episode was indeed improvement from previous two. But, this show is tragically humorless, and these shows needs a good laugh every now and then. I have to say I like the idea of last night's episode, and with some changes, this could be great show, but until then, it's the middle ground for me...

Please know I am not acquainted with entire S.H.I.E.L.D and Marvel universe, and that for me this is just TV show. So, there is a chance i might be missing something, but I don't think so.

Please know I am not acquainted with entire S.H.I.E.L.D and Marvel universe, and that for me this is just TV show. So, there is a chance i might be missing something, but I don't think so.

To my knowledge, no one in the show really overlaps with the Marvel Universe proper. Coulson was a creation for the movies and the only "established" character to appear in the show to this point is Graviton.

(ETA: With the obvious exception of the Fury and Hill cameos.)

To my knowledge, no one in the show really overlaps with the Marvel Universe proper. Coulson was a creation for the movies and the only "established" character to appear in the show to this point is Graviton.

(ETA: With the obvious exception of the Fury and Hill cameos.)

Hmmm... good to know that... I was under impression that the show overlaps in some instances with Marvel Universe and that for "proper" understanding, you need some background knowledge of Marvel Universe... Thank you for this... It's good to know that I haven't jumped on train, while it was moving, so to speak...

But yeah, I'm definitely leaning towards the 'he's a clone' camp with the muscle memory stuff.

Yeah, that's kind of weird. This is the best episode so far, but The Blacklist is easily the superior show at this point.

I just used Level 8 as a figure, whoever knows what Coulson is/happened to him I would have to assume would be above level 7, so I just picked the next one. it might be that he doesn't have access because of how he was brought back/fixed/made better.

Oh...shit. he's the 6 million dollar man, 2013 style.

I'm hoping (not based on anything real, just a hope) that they go down the road of the audience seeing how the couple is being put together, but actually keep it going with just a mentor/mentee relationship. Skye gets involved with Fitz...or Simmons...whichever one. Just to change the standard conflicted couple thing.

And why the hell is there no thread on the ludicrous fun that is Blacklist.

Here's the money quote from the AV Club review of the latest episode.

“The Asset” sees S.H.I.E.L.D. still playing by the rules. It’s a procedural, it’s set on a plane, they fly around the world, there’s some special effects and some action set-pieces, but nothing too crazy or original. Yet. But this was the first episode to show some potential for originality around the corner. It remains to be seen whether S.H.I.E.L.D. will turn into a Fringe type show with a complicated mythology, or if it will just be Burn Notice with superheroes jetting around sunny locations. On paper, it should be the former. This is the first episode that went along with that.

I'm hoping (not based on anything real, just a hope) that they go down the road of the audience seeing how the couple is being put together, but actually keep it going with just a mentor/mentee relationship. Skye gets involved with Fitz...or Simmons...whichever one. Just to change the standard conflicted couple thing.

They could go with the route that they just end up being fuck buddies with no relationship status, but now that Ward shared his "I fought my bro over cake, to protect my lil' bro!" story I guess that's not going to happen.

It would make the show more interesting if Ward -who I'm assuming is going to be straight- was attracted to Mae and/or Simmons and had a chance with either but they've clearly drawn the lines on that.

I could see May/Coulson. Or maybe it's just that there's is the only relationship - of any kind - that is not excruciatingly boring.

ETA - Yeah, i'm digging Blacklist as well, especially the probably utterly absurd backstory with the husband, even though the pacing on the last episode felt a little wonky. I continue to like blonde agent guy.

I thought Ward could've just made up the little brother story after Coulson urged him to try connecting as a person.

In general that episode was ok. Still some horrible stuff in it - them walking in a line, the pump action cowboy shotgun, Skye running into Ward's arms. Fitz's awkward line about the boobs was good though.

Archived