Drinking Continued.

Alex.

I had a few pints of Sharp's Ice Ale over lunch. It was slightly unusual taste-wise, but it was very nice indeed. Made via some weird "freeze distillation" process apparently.

Cask beer drinkers will feel a welcome shiver down their spine following the release of Sharp's Spring Ice Ale. Sharp's Brewery's Head Brewer, Stuart Howe, has hatched a new idea, creating the world's first cask ale to be produced through freeze distillation and blending.

Spring Ice Ale (4.2%), brewed with ice, is a fresh, crisp beer, perfect for the warmer weather that's just around the corner! The first offering from Sharp's popular Seasonals range in 2013 is deep red in colour with an aroma of fresh hops and berry fruits.

Stuart Howe, Head Brewer at Sharp's said: "By using a secret process, involving refinement through freeze distillation and blending, we've created a world first. Spring Ice Ale has a finish which is brisk and fresh, it's certain to put a spring in the step of cask beer drinkers over the coming months."

Spring Ice Ale was very well received at Craft Beer Rising in February and is available in the on-trade until May 31st.

Oh haha. That one again. Freeze distillation isn't a 'new idea'. That's how Brewdog made their Tactical Nuclear Penguin (32% ABV).

I tried that Ice Ale a couple of months back at The Lamb. It was ok, nothing exciting. 3.5/5 stars. Better than Stella though. :)

Tomorrow I'm going to a cookout at my friends house. I'm bringing a couple of coconuts that I'm going to drill holes in and pour in some rum. Anyone done this before? Is there anything I need to know/watch out for before I try it?

In case anyone was following my subplot in this thread, it didn't fucking work. It was awful. I think you need to add something like pineapple juice or something. Turns out coconut water tastes like ass, and adding rum just makes it worse.

You live, you learn.

Oh haha. That one again. Freeze distillation isn't a 'new idea'. That's how Brewdog made their Tactical Nuclear Penguin (32% ABV).

Yep, and it's a lot older than that. The process in the US is called "jacking" and that's where the high-proof alcohol called applejack comes from -- the process itself is hundreds, if not thousands, of years old. I fucking hate breweries who shill their shit dishonestly. (And making an ice beer and blending it and throwing it in a barrel has got to be the world's lamest "world's firsts.")

I tried that Ice Ale a couple of months back at The Lamb. It was ok, nothing exciting. 3.5/5 stars. Better than Stella though. :)

haha, bit snidey of them to put it as a world first in that case... I prefer their Atlantic IPA anyhow. Good summer session beer.

That Tactical Nuclear Penguin is outside of my comfort zone, definitely. It just feels unsafe drinking it.

In case anyone was following my subplot in this thread, it didn't fucking work. It was awful. I think you need to add something like pineapple juice or something. Turns out coconut water tastes like ass, and adding rum just makes it worse.

You live, you learn.

:grouphug:

Sounded like it might work with some sweetener.

Beer geeks, Mandy. Not beer snobs. Speaking for myself. :)

I didn't know that about applejack though. COOL. Keep the beer trivia flowing! You never know some of it might come up in our monthly beer quiz. We can't seem to beat the people who own or work in craft beer bars yet.

That Tactical Nuclear Penguin is outside of my comfort zone, definitely. It just feels unsafe drinking it.
What makes it safer is that you can't buy it in pints, half pints, or (I think) even thirds.

PS: Why can't I view my profile? hahahaha

OT: I've just cracked open a Declassified black IPA.

Having very much enjoyed old fashioneds made with "Woodford Reserve", I purchased a "Rittenhouse Rye", remembering it did well in the hive mind that is the board. I look forward to trying it tonight.

It's going to be a lot spicier than the bourbon, so you might want to adjust your recipe accordingly (taste the rye, then maybe fiddle with the proportions as you're making the drinks). Also, be mindful that's it's 100 proof. The Woodford Reserve isn't that much weaker (90.4 proof), but even those 9.6 points can be noticeable on the palate...and the ensuing hangover.

Keep forgetting to post this rebuttal to the silly 'too many hops' post from Slate

http://www.bear-flav...ning-craft.html

Double posting: if it's good enough or the fl00b, it's good enough for me.

Isis, interesting rebuttal article although I don't agree with you that the Slate article was "silly". A definite case could be made that the headline was bad but since the article's author probably didn't write it... :dunno:

Archived