Drinking Continued.

Alex.

I'm drinking my current favorite thing in the world, Safeway brand Organic Blood Orange Italian Soda. In a glass, with ice. I don't give a shit about the organic nature of the beverage; I was enticed by an attractive display about a month ago and I've been hooked ever since. Yum.

I'm drinking my current favorite thing in the world, Safeway brand Organic Blood Orange Italian Soda. In a glass, with ice. I don't give a shit about the organic nature of the beverage; I was enticed by an attractive display about a month ago and I've been hooked ever since. Yum.

That sounds strangely delicious.

I'm just having my usual - tall glass of ice, squeeze around 3/4's of a lime into it, throw the limes in, fill with diet tonic water. Enjoy.

It gives you most of the enjoyment of a gin and tonic without the regret later.

Just drank a nice honey porter brewed with my own (and Mrs. PotN's) hands. We've made porters and vanilla porters before but this was our first honey porter - and it turned out quite nicely. It'll make a nice counterpoint to the lighter more "summery" ales we have been and will be brewing for this summer season. We'll be making this one again, I'd say :cheers:

I finally acquired a bottle of black maple hill bourbon!

In my dreams I go home and lounge on the couch in near dark with kair and sip it while listening to mark lanegan.

Reality has her asleep. Me half pissed on the three victory pilsners I hammered on the way to the train and a full fucking day of cooking ahead of me.

Keep forgetting to post this rebuttal to the silly 'too many hops' post from Slate

http://www.bear-flavored.com/2013/05/lazy-beer-writers-are-ruining-craft.html

Double posting: if it's good enough or the fl00b, it's good enough for me.

As a self confessed hop addict I am totally with this writer.

When people complain of something being too hoppy I suggest they not drink it and get something more to their taste.

Recently I had my last bottle of bell's hopslam. Lovely. But still not touching the cleansing ibus I crave.

As a self confessed hop addict I am totally with this writer.

When people complain of something being too hoppy I suggest they not drink it and get something more to their taste.

Recently I had my last bottle of bell's hopslam. Lovely. But still not touching the cleansing ibus I crave.

Incendiary headline aside - the original Slate article would seem to agree with you, MC :cheers:

Let’s be clear: Not all craft beer is hoppy. There are many craft breweries that seek to create balanced, drinkable beers that aren’t very bitter at all, like Patrick Rue’s the Bruery in Placentia, Calif., and the Commons Brewery in Portland, Ore. Among the non-hoppy yet complex and delicious American craft beers available are Widmer’s hefeweizen, New Glarus’ cherry and raspberry beers, and Full Sail Brewing’s Session Lager (a beer specifically developed to serve as a refreshing counterpoint to overhopped beers). America’s independent breweries make beers to suit every palate, not just the ones that revel in bitterness.

That said, there is some truth in the stereotype that craft beer is hoppy. The beer that more or less launched the contemporary craft beer movement, Sierra Nevada’s flagship pale ale, was, for its time, a supremely hoppy beer. In 1980, when most of the nation’s beers were produced by Anheuser-Busch, Miller, Schlitz, Pabst, and Coors, Sierra Nevada’s pale ale was a revelation. Sierra Nevada founder Ken Grossman added way more hops than most brewers at the time would ever consider using. But he used a recently discovered American variety called the Cascade, a hop whose big, bitter bite was counterbalanced by a sweet grapefruit scent and a spicy aftertaste. Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is a beautiful beer with an aggressive edge, and it’s the beer that put me, and so many others, on the path to craft beer enthusiasm.

Emphasis mine.

Cheers to you as well, rocksniffer! And here's to your "lame wing" quickly becoming "unlame"! :cheers:

I had some more of our homebrewed honey porter tonight. I also popped open a bottle of our apricot blonde ale that we've been letting condition to see how it's coming along? It's coming along nicely but I think it still needs a bit more bottle conditioning time. It'll be quite enjoyable along with our other brews as the weather continues to get warmer ;)

This is the final paragraph of the Slate piece. It's not saying 'there is something for everybody', it is saying 'stop making hoppy beers'. I'm with MC, if you like hoppy beers drink them, if you don't drink something different.

Also, LOL at telling brewers what to brew. You want beers that aren't hoppy? Brew some yourself. :) Also, don't tell me what to geek out about, damn it.

Craft brewers’ obsession with hops has overshadowed so many other wonderful aspects of beer. So here’s my plea to my fellow craft beer enthusiasts: Give it a rest. Let’s talk about the differences between wild and cultivated lab yeast, and the weird and wonderful flavors that are created when brewers start scouring nearby trees or flowers or even their own beards for new strains. Let’s geek out about local, craft-malted barley and how it compares to traditional imported European malts. And let’s start preaching a new word: Craft beer isn’t always bitter. Who knows? Maybe we’ll finally win over some of those Bud Light fans.

OT: I'm drinking a diet coke.

This is the final paragraph of the Slate piece. It's not saying 'there is something for everybody', it is saying 'stop making hoppy beers'. I'm with MC, if you like hoppy beers drink them, if you don't drink something different.

Also, LOL at telling brewers what to brew. You want beers that aren't hoppy? Brew some yourself. :) Also, don't tell me what to geek out about, damn it.

OT: I'm drinking a diet coke.

The somewhat extreme reaction to that Slate OPINION piece amazes me. In the last paragraph you quoted it actually says "here's my [the author's] plea". How is that "telling brewers what to brew"?! Also, the part of your post above that I bolded is in complete agreement with the portion of the original Slate article that I quoted to MC! The rebuttal article you linked did make some good points but it was also arguing against itself a great deal because, of course, the piece it was rebutting was only someone expressing their opinion and not telling anyone "what to brew" or even saying anything close to "all hops are bad!" (which seems to be what your rebuttal article was arguing against). Finally, honest question - who told you what not to geek out about? I'm an enthusiastic homebrewer myself and I will always love geeking out about it :cheers:

Archived