Arrow 2 - Tommy Got Shafted...Bit Late, BUT SEASON 2 SPOILERS!

Jaxom 1974

Where does the show go from here?

I know there's some speculation (maybe just from us?) that there may be an adaptation of "The Longbow Hunters" in the offing at some point, as Shado was introduced in the Flashbacks...but I really want to see them do an adaptation of "Brotherhood of the Fist", even if it's a Connor Hawke storyline. It could work in this Green Arrow continuity. It could also bring in a version of Nightwing and Robin, if they dare...

I know there's some speculation (maybe just from us?) that there may be an adaptation of "The Longbow Hunters" in the offing at some point, as Shado was introduced in the Flashbacks...but I really want to see them do an adaptation of "Brotherhood of the Fist", even if it's a Connor Hawke storyline. It could work in this Green Arrow continuity. It could also bring in a version of Nightwing and Robin, if they dare...

I vote Matt Damon for Nightwing!

The show runners/writers have said they are big fans of Batman Begins, and kind of see the first three seasons as ending with Ollie transitioning from the Vigilante to Arrow to Green Arrow.

I'll look for a link.

• 4 weeks later...

I just started watching Arrow today after finding it all the way down the list of series on Netflix and got through the first ten episodes. Admittedly, my expectations were rock bottom since it airs on the CW (and prior experience with Smallville doesn't inspire confidence), but I was hooked by the end of the first episode and really, really enjoy the show.

Wow. Really, really good.

A thousand times better than SHIELD.

My thoughts too :)

Just finished the first season yesterday and have to say it was a blast. It's a weird mix of "The OC" soap and "Batman (with more of a person of interest "real" vibe). I'm not usually a shipper but damn the Felicity & Oliver chemistry is so much better than the Laurel one and I'm pretty sure the writers are playing with that.

The island stuff is pretty cool although it looks like they have a LOT to cover for 5 years. I'm still a bit thrown by Slade Wilson who seems a reasonable guy here but maybe something happens that turns him into the dick from the comics? Also good to see Crixus (albeit with far more clothes) on TV - he does action hero well.

I was also impressed by the season finale in that they didn't save the day.

As for the season opener. Very strong. I like the idea that this season is going to be about him becoming a hero - although I hope he still kills when necessary (unless they invent a non-lethal paralysing nerve cluster he can start aiming for when dealing with gunmen).

The boardroom stuff I'm wary about as in tv/film they always seem to involve last minute buyouts. I'd like to see a film/show where this type of thing is handled properly althogh maybe the reality is dull? I really hope Oliver realises he can help the city as much/more by using his billionairre status - it seems like a good way to save the company's name and having Summer Glau (that was a pleasant surprise) as his boardroom nemeisis could keep that angle interesting.

They are doing a great job of teasing with DC comics lore (is there a non-comics discussion spoiler stance here or are people not as pedantic as Walking dead viewers?). Roy, Shado, Deathstroke etc.

We all know Roy Harper will become Oliver's protege and they are playing with that expectation by teasing us with it. I do like how he's starting out as a hero while Oliver is trying to become one - seems like they could both learn a lot from each other

I'm still surprised Roy hasn't at least considered how Ollie was accused of being the vigilante. I guess it's because he thinks he's a coward. Maybe now Olly is back and the vigilante is Roy may make the connection.

As for the likely Black Canary appearance at the end of the episode it would seem that Laurel is the most likely candidate given her action scene at the start of the episode and that her anti-vigilante stance may just be a smokescreen. I'm still hoping it is Laurel's sister though as she is mentioned far too much not to make a reappearance and because that 5 years would have allowed her to become super kick-ass (maybe even with powers?)

I liked the Flash reference in the news as well about the "particle accelerator experiment going online for Christmas".

The only thing I thought was a bit off was how Oliver never mentioned his guilt about sleeping with Laurel after he had just told Tommy to go and win her back. I think that's what Tommy probably died thinking as opposed to "my best friend is a killer". His best friend was a dick.

Yeah, this show has been much stronger than SHIELD from the get go, even though there was much to criticise. Of course there are always things I could complain about, but overall I was not bothered by any of the characters in the season opener, though I think they should have the courage to slowly phase Laurel out if they really can't think of a way to make her work. At this point she's only still around as the designated "endgame" love interest for Oliver, that's just boring and besides Felicity is just much more fun than her.

They are doing a great job of teasing with DC comics lore (is there a non-comics discussion spoiler stance here or are people not as pedantic as Walking dead viewers?). Roy, Shado, Deathstroke etc.

As a non-comic-reader I don't think that's necessary, since the show doesn't follow any explicit storyline from the comics, just uses them as inspiration. But then I didn't strictly think it was necessary for Walking Dead, either.

I'm still surprised Roy hasn't at least considered how Ollie was accused of being the vigilante. I guess it's because he thinks he's a coward. Maybe now Olly is back and the vigilante is Roy may make the connection.

I'd say Lance should really begin to piece it together. He even knows of the Felicity/Hood connection and she obviously works for Oliver.

As for the likely Black Canary appearance at the end of the episode it would seem that Laurel is the most likely candidate given her action scene at the start of the episode and that her anti-vigilante stance may just be a smokescreen. I'm still hoping it is Laurel's sister though as she is mentioned far too much not to make a reappearance and because that 5 years would have allowed her to become super kick-ass (maybe even with powers?)

It's not Laurel. It's her sister. I think Laurel becomes Black Canary by the end of the season but not before.

It's not Laurel. It's her sister. I think Laurel becomes Black Canary by the end of the season but not before.

I realise that it's basically inevitable for the sister to still be alive, I just dearly hope that they came up with a good story about her survival and a damn good reason for her not contacting her family for six years.

I'd say Lance should really begin to piece it together. He even knows of the Felicity/Hood connection and she obviously works for Oliver.

Lance this piece together at one point in season 1. He even had video footage. But then he was outsmarted.

Lance this piece together at one point in season 1. He even had video footage. But then he was outsmarted.

Yeah, which is why he should be the first to come to the conclusion that it's Oliver, but right now he doesn't seem to consider it. Or maybe he isn't interested in catching him any more.

It should be the case. I'm hoping they justify it with Lance starting to realise the vigilante is necessary for his city.

This is what I'm hoping.

I realise that it's basically inevitable for the sister to still be alive, I just dearly hope that they came up with a good story about her survival and a damn good reason for her not contacting her family for six years.

There could be a whole host of reasons. She's been brainwashed or she has decided in order to be a vigilante it's best to keep to herself.

I think what would be interesting would be to see whether she's on the island as well. It could be the new batch of villains on the island picked her up at sea somewhere. Has Oliver ever said anything that would contradict the possibility of her being on the island with him? Maybe they were adversaries there as well?

There could be a whole host of reasons. She's been brainwashed or she has decided in order to be a vigilante it's best to keep to herself.

Note that I said good reasons. ;)

ETA: As an aside for spoilerphobes: don't look at the IMDB page of the actress credited as Black Canary.

I think what would be interesting would be to see whether she's on the island as well. It could be the new batch of villains on the island picked her up at sea somewhere. Has Oliver ever said anything that would contradict the possibility of her being on the island with him? Maybe they were adversaries there as well?

He has never said anything about being adversaries with her but his constant sadness around her death with Laurel leads me to believe that he still thinks she's dead. It's possible she washed up elsewhere, or was rescued by some fisherman with a degree in kung fu. Regardless, I'm 100% sure it's her and not Laurel.

Yeah, which is why he should be the first to come to the conclusion that it's Oliver, but right now he doesn't seem to consider it. Or maybe he isn't interested in catching him any more.

I don't think he wants to. I think he misses the hood actually which is why he was asking Felicity. Eventually, he will work it out and help him. I can't see it any other way.

Just as an aside, how fucking obvious is it that it's Oliver Queen? He comes back from the island and a few days later, the hood appears. He goes away after the bomb, hood is nowhere to be seen then he's all over the TV for coming back and the hood magically appears again. Come on.

Additionally, the chemistry between Felicity and Oliver is ridiculous. I loved the comment with the bars "I kept that...I like watching you do that...". It made me laugh since I'm sure a lot of women feel the same way.

I don't think he wants to. I think he misses the hood actually which is why he was asking Felicity. Eventually, he will work it out and help him. I can't see it any other way.

Yes, he seems poised to become the Comissioner Gordon to Oiver's Batman (yes, most of my Comic book touchstone characters are terribly mainstream). Alternatively he will be killed off in dramatic fashion just after having made his peace with Oliver.

Personally I want option 1, together with Walter and Thea Lance is one of the few remaining normal characters. The show needs those around.

Just as an aside, how fucking obvious is it that it's Oliver Queen? He comes back from the island and a few days later, the hood appears. He goes away after the bomb, hood is nowhere to be seen then he's all over the TV for coming back and the hood magically appears again. Come on.

Incidentally, for several years now I've had this theory that Superman and Clark Kent might be the same person. I know it sounds crazy at first, but if you think about it for a while...

:P

He has never said anything about being adversaries with her but his constant sadness around her death with Laurel leads me to believe that he still thinks she's dead. It's possible she washed up elsewhere, or was rescued by some fisherman with a degree in kung fu. Regardless, I'm 100% sure it's her and not Laurel.

Additionally, the chemistry between Felicity and Oliver is ridiculous. I loved the comment with the bars "I kept that...I like watching you do that...". It made me laugh since I'm sure a lot of women feel the same way.

He could be sad because of something that happened on the island as well? As for the bar I thought that was super cool as well from a fitness POV. I think they have made Felicity their meta character in that she can get away with saying things fans are saying about the show.

Note that I said good reasons. ;)

ETA: As an aside for spoilerphobes: don't look at the IMDB page of the actress credited as Black Canary.

Haha it's hard not to think of comic-book reasons though :)

Ok, I bit and checked the IMDB page.

that nigh on confirms it's Laurel's sister. Don't know the actress though but will keep an eye out for them appearing in show.

Archived