Cooking Questions 4: More questions about cookery

MisterOJ

If you're going to mince the garlic, then smash it against your chopping board with the flat of your palm or the flat of your blade. Once smashed, the peel comes off easily. It's also already half mashed and makes mincing easier.I am faster using that method than peeling the garlic clove and then putting it into the garlic press. Honest.I also never got the roll-around-in-metal-bowl trick to work for me. Smash and peel is how I do it.

Same. I have never had trouble peeling garlic, was surprised people found it irritating to do.

I'm doing a casserole like dish tomorrow in the slow cooker. I usually chuck everything in at once, including the potatoes and veg. However, I am using sweet potato this time which I don't usually cook with. Would I be okay cooking this in the casserole (both in terms of the potato cooking properly and flavour-wise) or am I better of preparing it fresh (roasting, mashing, whatever) later in the day?

• 3 weeks later...

Calling all sausage aficionados. Sausage Day is scheduled for March 14. I really like the sausage recipe I use that has been in our family for a looooonnnng time. I make some adjustments like using fresh garlic, onions, and some peppers. Here is the recipe:

Dad’s Red Sausage Recipe

(50 pounds sausage)

• 25 lbs ground pork

• 25 lbs ground venison

• 1.5 cups brown sugar

• 2 cups tender quick

• 0.5 cups Morton’s Sausage seasoning

• 4 tsp black pepper

• 2 tsp garlic pepper

• 4 tsp onion flakes

• ¼ cup accent

• 5 cups warm water

I will for sure be using about half venison. I know MC prefers pink salt to Morton's Tender Quick, but I don't really know how that would change the recipe. If anybody has a really great recipe, keeping in mind it will be half venison which is extremely lean, I am open to trying new things.

I also made brats for the first time last year (about 70% pork to 30% venison) and they were great. Those I just modified a recipe I found on the interwebs. I would love any good brat recipes as well.

Thanks.

Making mushroom risotto next weekend. Neither my friend nor I find the dried porcinis very appealing. Any thoughts on substituting a different mushroom?

If you can get it Lions Beard is delicious. The mushroom guy at our farmer's market just started cultivating it this year, before that I'd only had it foraged. I'm not sure how commonly it is cultivated though around the country, but it's my new favorite 'shroom. Plus it's just cool looking!!

eta: this is the shroom I'm talking about

Making mushroom risotto next weekend. Neither my friend nor I find the dried porcinis very appealing. Any thoughts on substituting a different mushroom?

In my limited experience chanterelle works nicely, but can be expensive. Brown mushroom are fine as well if you get some with good flavour.

eta: it also depends on the balance you want, and on what is available locally. For me I would expect white mushroom or oyster mushroom to be a bit too bland in a risotto. Shiitake doesn't seem to fit texturally. Enoki are interesting option in finishing and as a decoration.

Re: different flours

Joy the Baker breaks out down, with help from King Arthur Flour. I agree it is the best brand but if I'm just doing basic baking I will buy generic AP UNBLEACHED flour. We have four different types of flour in the Mercenary pantry. Used to have six. When we baked bread it was a ratio of whole wheat to bread flour. Anyways, here is the explainer:

http://joythebaker.com/2014/05/baking-101-the-difference-between-baking-flours/

Well crap, wrong thread! But I'll keep it here anyways.

We can get chanterelles here. If they're a little expensive it's still a cheap way to feed a ton of people that it's really no problem. Several people are pitching in. I'll ask my pal to look for enokis. We'll use white or baby portabello chopped fine in the base, but wanted something nicer as the main. I'll make the chicken stock this week. I'm planning on going with a lighter clear chicken feet stock and adding the mushroom stems. Anyone see an obvious danger to this plan?

Edit: Larry, I'll see if they have it at the local Whole Foods. Looks totally cool.

Edit II: Thank you!

I made some really good soup last night. I went looking through recipes for chili and spicier soups and this is what I came up with.

Ingredients:

2 cups chicken broth

1 tsp cumin

pepper to taste

lime juice (~1 Tablespoon)

chili powder (~1/2 tsp)

3 small garlic cloves, chopped

chicken sausage (or meat of your choice)

White beans

White onion, chopped

Green onions, chopped

Jalapenos, diced

Zucchini, quarted then chopped

Avocado

Fritos

Cheese

Make your soup base first. Add the spices above and the lime juice and the garlic to the broth and adjust to taste. As you're doing that, pre-cook your meat and then chop it up into whatever size chunks suit your fancy. Chop up your other ingredients. Bring your broth to a broil and add in whatever meat and beans and veggies you want and let it simmer for 2-3 minutes and then dump it in your soup bowl. Slice some avocado into the soup and grate some cheese on top. Add fritos if it pleases you to do so.

It's really pretty awesome. At my old job, we had a pretty great cafeteria and every now and then they would make soup like this, which is how I got the idea. The only question in my mind was what I should put in my soup base since I didn't have their recipe.

• 1 month later...

Well Sausage Day starts at 9 A.M. tomorrow. If anyone wants to give me any last minute advice for this years recipe, nows the time.

I am making brats again for only the second time. They will be about 60% pork and 40% venison. If anyone has a great brat recipe let me know. The one I used from the internet last year was pretty good.

Same. I have never had trouble peeling garlic, was surprised people found it irritating to do.

I'm doing a casserole like dish tomorrow in the slow cooker. I usually chuck everything in at once, including the potatoes and veg. However, I am using sweet potato this time which I don't usually cook with. Would I be okay cooking this in the casserole (both in terms of the potato cooking properly and flavour-wise) or am I better of preparing it fresh (roasting, mashing, whatever) later in the day?

As sweet potato cooks in no time at all, I personally would cook it separately and then throw it in for the last few minutes.

But, I would want to know the cooking times of the other ingedients you are using. I would just be wary of the sweet potato going to mush.

• 1 month later...

Dinner tonight calls for a fresh salad of fennel, pickled onion and golden beet. Unfortunately, the beet is a no-go. Would turnip work ok? If so, is there anything I should consider doing differently? I'm thinking adding a bit of balsamic vinegar to make up for the relatively less sweet turnip.

• 7 months later...

Could still use help on making brats.  2014 they were great, last time not as good.  I followed a recipe that called for caraway and it was overpowering.  Apparently I hate caraway in my brats. 

EDIT:  They will be about 60% pork shoulder to 40% ground venison. 

Also, why do I see milk as an ingredient in many pork/venison brat recipes?  I will be making a large batch and freezing some for use all year.

Could still use help on making brats.  2014 they were great, last time not as good.  I followed a recipe that called for caraway and it was overpowering.  Apparently I hate caraway in my brats. 

EDIT:  They will be about 60% pork shoulder to 40% ground venison. 

Also, why do I see milk as an ingredient in many pork/venison brat recipes?  I will be making a large batch and freezing some for use all year.

http://lpoli.50webs.com/

check out this website. this guy is kind of a sausage genius. i use his recipes a lot as baselines for my own recipes.

https://www.instagram.com/p/-UeLLkx8Zl/?taken-by=escoffiersghost friday's sausage making at work.

Archived