Football 123: Pardew Springs Eternal

Alex.

Considering replacing the current manager of the Fraud XI (Louis van Gaal, with Guus Hiddink as assistant) with Brendan Rogers and whoever his assistant is. Will need to think on this but it's a possibility.

As much as I'm still buzzing about the pace of our attack yesterday, I'm so worried that we're going to play the exact same way against Chelsea and be exploited on the counter like we always are. If Wenger tells Chambers/Gibbs to play more defensive, we have a chance, but if they bomb forward as they always do, the minute we lose the ball, we're more or less screwed.

But who knows, maybe super Mario will find his scoring touch.

Would be nice but he's far from the biggest problem. Actually think he's been one of our better players the last 2-3 games (shitty praise I know) he's just so damn isolated up top and the midield is creating literally nothing.

I don't think Rogers will be sacked unless Liverpool finish outside of Europe entirely, and despite Southampton's start to the season (it seems that Villa is now being exposed as early season wonders) I really don't think they'll have much trouble getting there. I think Rogers, more than anyone else in the EPL, has managed to gain a reputation as the young, progressive hotshot who would be good to have around for years and years. They won't pull the trigger on him.

Re: Mexal also a bit worried about the Chelsea game. I think because it's at Stamford Bridge, hopefully Wenger will play a slightly more pragmatic game. With Welbeck in good form we might even be able to score. I would be overjoyed with another draw, given the horrors of the fixture last year.

As much as I'm still buzzing about the pace of our attack yesterday, I'm so worried that we're going to play the exact same way against Chelsea and be exploited on the counter like we always are. If Wenger tells Chambers/Gibbs to play more defensive, we have a chance, but if they bomb forward as they always do, the minute we lose the ball, we're more or less screwed.

It's also up to the two of them to read the situation, and try and be a bit more pragmatic in their choices. I agree that AW sets the team out, but the players are also culpable for bombing forward when they really should know better.

Really want a win, probably won't get one but I can't stand that manager. We're probably not going to sit back and counter against that chelsea team, or any team for that matter.

Not sure why anyone is talking about sacking Rodgers, it's a newish team, no?

Personally hoping for a Santos-esque performance from Gibbs, hopefully with the same celebration.

It's also up to the two of them to read the situation, and try and be a bit more pragmatic in their choices. I agree that AW sets the team out, but the players are also culpable for bombing forward when they really should know better.

Really want a win, probably won't get one but I can't stand that manager. We're probably not going to sit back and counter against that chelsea team, or any team for that matter.

Well, Wenger sets the tactics too. Fullbacks bombing forward has been a staple of his tactics for as long as I can remember and we've been susceptible to counter attacks from the big teams for as long as I can remember as well, especially when away. I think I saw a stat where have like 3 wins, 3 draws and 16 losses in the last 22 matches against top 5 teams (could have been away, don't remember). There was even a chapter in SAF's book about beating Wenger's teams and it doesn't seem like he has changed at all over the years. So while I agree with you that it's up to the players, I would prefer Wenger setting the tactics that has them hanging back so when the ball is lost in the midfield as it always is, they're not midway down the opponents end trying to get in position to receive the ball from the MF but in a better defensible position.

No way is Rodgers at risk. Not even if Liverpool are dire. They just spent all that money on players for his system. You can't just reboot that kind of spending. You're better off giving the manager another season than cashing your chips.

This is why I wanted Liverpool to not spend too heavily in one transfer window. It would have been better to save some money for January and next summer. New signings are unpredictable and it's better to wait to see how some of them pan out before you blow the entire budget.

Alex - Basel looked pretty beatable, Liverpool were just very poor. That was a very winnable game away from home.

Fortunately, while we are horribly off the pace at the moment, only Chelsea have looked really good so far. Top 4 is not out of the question yet.

We drew with Kuban Krasnodar. I only tuned in for the second half, but I would be lying if I said we were good value for our point. Had I been a Krasnodar fan, I'd be fuming.

Feels sort of okay, stealing a point in Russia.

We drew with Kuban Krasnodar. I only tuned in for the second half, but I would be lying if I said we were good value for our point. Had I been a Krasnodar fan, I'd be fuming.

Feels sort of okay, stealing a point in Russia.

Heard you were rather awful in the first half, only caught the second myself too. Some of that Everton back four looked really tired.

Heard you were rather awful in the first half, only caught the second myself too. Some of that Everton back four looked really tired.

Perhaps. I think perhaps insecure fits better, but I'm not sure.. They have played the last three matches, so some tiredness may be there.

I'm in no way certaion, but I think I see us standing off more than we used to. Our defence hasn't had a great start, and that insecurity has seeped through and led them to try to react rather than aggressively pushing up - or, if not pushing up, then challenging. Insted we fall back and allow our opponents room in front of our defence, and allow runs from midfield to cut through. Given that we play with two defensive midfielders (three at Anfield), we really should have enough bodies back - but as long as we're passive, bodies don't matter. And since we for some reason seem to be insecure, we turn passive.

If we don't sort it out, it'll be a looong season...

Vlad Chiriches is probably the worst defender i've ever seen for Spurs. And I watched Ramon Vega for years.

Ha ! Agreed.

Could I suggest Paulo Tremezzani and Stuart Nethercot as well. One came with a solid reputation as an Italian defender, and was awful. The other was just awful.

saturday we will eek out a 1-0 win on a jack colback free kick. i saw it in a dream on the train this evening. newcastle still get relegated and pardew is made manager for life.

looks like ashley may be looking to spread his horrible style of ownership to someplace that deserves it...glasgow rangers. he now owns 8.92% of the club. i hope he gets a full 10% or more. i hope the rumors are true and he is looking to sell the club so firing pardew seems unnecessary. any new owner would want their own man in place.

Doubt Rodgers will get sacked at this point, nor do I think he deserves it. He and the team just need some time to find the right balance. That said we should comfortably thrash West Bromwich this weekend, I'm hoping Lambert is given a chance to start.

I dunno, WBA seems to have got their act together the last couple of weeks. I'm pretty sure you'll beat them but it may not be a comfortable thrashing.

Rogers isn't anywhere near the sack at this point. Even if Liverpool continue being this bad for the whole season, he's built himself a goodwill buffer last time and would probably have to continue being unable to fix things well into the next campaign before he's in the slightest bit of danger.

Which isn't to say that he doesn't have to urgently get started now. For me, the problem isn't the players that he's bought- Can (when he actually plays), Lovren and Moreno are decent additions really. It seems to me though that there's no defensive coaching to speak of, to a ridiculous level. Like, similarly high-attack teams like Arsenal and Dortmund do obviously focus more on training getting forward and also have a fragility at the back, but both clearly have some kind of a plan and their defenders have things they're asked to do, even if it's then failing in certain games. You look at Liverpool, it just seems like the defensive unit is just a bunch of complete strangers who haven't practiced together whatsoever. They can buy whatever defensive players they like, they're also going to look bad if that trend continues.

And of course Stevie Me.

Archived