Captain America 3: Civil War -- Hang onto your Underoos

Bastard of Boston

I love the Civil War concept, especially with how relevant government over-control has become, but I did not like the execution of it at all.

There are far better executions of the Civil War concept, most notably the DC Elseworlds comic Kingdom Come, which is basically Watchmen crossed with the Book of Revelation and is a stone-cold classic.

DC also did a similar story in the years from Identity Crisis through to Infinite Crisis, and it was (despite having to take several liberties with how the universe had been set up till then, secret-identity wise) very well done, much more patiently built and with more sense than Civil War, but then they drowned the finale of the plot in the whole Infinite Crisis Superboy-punches-the-universe thing, which really made no sense whatsoever, would have made much more sense to run those stories as separate things.

Anyway, I'm worried about how they'll turn the character motivations in time if this is going to be in phase 3, since like others I can't really see current MovieStark going the 'registration and control' thing.

The main thing I want them to change from the CW comics is the balance between Cap and Stark as hero and villain. It gradually becomes really obvious in the comics that we're meant to root for Cap - Stark's arguments become gradually weaker and his methods increasingly draconian over the course of the storyline.

This bugged me because I totally got Stark's point. Of *course* you don't get to be vigilantes because you have superpowers. That's a fucking given.

I read somewhere that Stark's side is the one you're supposed to be siding with, but that part of the writing team disagreed with that idea (and the fact that it's going against how superheroes have acted in the comics for 50 years probably doesn't help either).

Not sure if that's true (and I can't find the quote right now) considering that pro-registration side almost immeditately goes off the deep end, nevermind that the whole legislative process is ridiculously rushed to make sure there's no time for anybody to actually take the time to talk things through (and even taking that into consideration, the 'heroes' are awfully quick to resort to violence...).

I had issues believing the Civil War storyline. It was weird, because I was fairly firmly on Starks side (because he makes sense, the other side is asking us to justify vigilantism,) but as was previously said he's clearly set up as a bad guy during it all. It just seemed really quite forced. The whole thing with Ragnarok and the deeper story of the Illuminati as a whole was pushed maybe too far.

As to Infinity Gauntlet, I got the impression they want to bring Guardians in to join in the Thanos fight. Presumably based on the success of Guardians.

Having not read extremis, how did you like the movie? It didn't feel all that special to me, and while I liked the overall idea of the character arc, I thought the movie was mostly forgettable.

Extremis was wasted in IM3, I hated the film but many people liked it so perhaps I'm slightly biased. But even so, Extremis was a bizarre thing, with it's strange grab-bag of fire related abilities. In the comics it's just one very tough insane guy, that Tony has to integrate Extremis into his own system to keep up with his speed. In the film they're just faceless glowing goons (who apparently invested heavily in indestructible clothing.)

There are far better executions of the Civil War concept, most notably the DC Elseworlds comic Kingdom Come, which is basically Watchmen crossed with the Book of Revelation and is a stone-cold classic.

A thousand times THIS^^^

As a matter of fact, I'd go so far to say that Civil War was pretty much a direct ripoff of Kingdom Come and it pales in comparison.

The prologue is practically identical, with the difference being that the D.C. version was considerably more epic.

Not sure if that's true (and I can't find the quote right now) considering that pro-registration side almost immeditately goes off the deep end, nevermind that the whole legislative process is ridiculously rushed to make sure there's no time for anybody to actually take the time to talk things through (and even taking that into consideration, the 'heroes' are awfully quick to resort to violence...).

That was how I remembered it. It wasn't that Stark's arguments were weaker, but his methods got progressively more brutal. It kind of culminated when he sicced the Thor clone on Cap's team, and it killed Giant-Man. At that point, Tony was clearly the antagonist of the story.

• 6 months later...

I had a "duh" moment when I was thinking "why would Falcon need a parachute".

Crossbones looks more sinister but guess he'll be a bit crispy now.

I hope they still keep this as a Cap film despite the fact it may as well be Avengers: Civil War.

I hope they still keep this as a Cap film despite the fact it may as well be Avengers: Civil War.

Too bad there's no Iron Man: Civil War happening concurrently- that might be more fair to Tony. Now, I'm picturing the aftermath will involve everybody from Thor to Stan Lee in a cameo ripping Iron Man's faceplate off.

To me, what made Civil War so much fun to read was that the entire Marvel Universe was involved... heroes, villains, and all characters in between,,,, besides the main characters, there were so many arcs from the likes of Electra, Punisher, etc... and it was the vast scope of how Cap & Stark's fight effected everyone that made it awesome... without the FOX properties, and --it seams-- the willingness to include peripheral characters... I don't know that they will be able to get the same feel...

• 2 months later...

It's like a homage to the old live action spidey tv show!

I'll wait for the inevitable official picture as it's not really mindblowing from those shots. Hard to tell if that's it or whether some elements are to be enhanced in post-production. It looks a bit like some-one made chalk marks on the rough cut of a suit.

It's like a homage to the old live action spidey tv show!

I'll wait for the inevitable official picture as it's not really mindblowing from those shots. Hard to tell if that's it or whether some elements are to be enhanced in post-production. It looks a bit like some-one made chalk marks on the rough cut of a suit.

Want to bet in the final cut they're glowing accents like on the BW suit in Avengers 2?

Want to bet in the final cut they're glowing accents like on the BW suit in Avengers 2?

I was thinking something along those lines. Maybe a different colour because it's Wakandan tech? It'd help differentiate it a bit more from the BW suit too.

Look, as long as HYDRA isn't revealed to be the instigator in the conflict between Tony and Steve in the third act of the film, a conflict which is resolved in a matter of seconds once the reveal is done, as a part of a larger scheme to distract the Avengers to do some shit which the Avengers try to prevent in the climax, we are fine. Unfortunately, there's a good chance that this does happen. ( Also trailer bets; I think the Cap punching Iron Man scene will definitely be present, along with a shot of the Avengers clashing in Manhattan, but Crossbones shooting Cap will be a bit too much imo )

Archived