Traveling to New York City for the first time.

Great advice here. Technically, I'm not a student anymore because I graduated in May, but I don't see why they need to know that. :)

These are amazing tips for both tourism and eating. Thanks. So I'm pretty much naming my price with those two?

yea, the city's really good about making cultural stuff affordable.   I think you should be good with the ID.

But if you're in the mood to splurge on a slightly pricey, branded dessert, may I suggest Big Gay Ice Cream?   I love their sundaes (which are actually generously sized), but I especially love the graphic and interior design.  It makes me so happy.   In fact, I'd be tempted to come meet you for one.

Bryant Park is one of my favourite places.  Very central, and right behind the NY Central Library.

Did someone upthread mention going to Central Station to people-watch?

In fact, people-wathcing is one of the great free activities in Manhattan.  Central Park at the weekend is brilliant for this.

Keep in mind that even for only a day pass with Citi Bike you need a credit card or at least a debit card.

Nothing is inexpensive in this city.  The best bargain for getting around is a seven day metro pass, which is also sold at a discount if you ride in off peak hours.

The Metropolitan Museum of Art is a city organization so they have to include "suggested donation." But the Museum of Modern Art isn't, and it is really expensive.

However, the Brooklyn Museum is also very cool.  Using your 7 day Metro Card you can get out there easily.  It's next to the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens and Prospect Park isn't far away.  There's great food all over there too.  But not inexpensive, not really, though if you like Caribbean food, Central American food, you can find places who serve that and they are far less costly than other kinds.

If you like beer -- don't try to drink it in a bar -- a single glass will run you 6 - 8 and even more depending on what you order and where.

This is a very expensive city now set up to serve only people who have money.

Indeed you are. If no one was suggested it yet, the staten island ferry is free and gives you nice views of lower manhattan and the statue of liberty. Just hop on, don't get off in staten island, and take the next ferry back. 

You actually have to get off the boat on Staten Island. The Snug Harbor Cultural Center is nearby. It's free as far as I know, I've been told the Chinese Scholar's Garden is beautiful.

You actually have to get off the boat on Staten Island. The Snug Harbor Cultural Center is nearby. It's free as far as I know, I've been told the Chinese Scholar's Garden is beautiful.

I meant don't leave the station :p

I had a blast out there, but spent a shit ton more than 200 bucks.  

It's probably the military friendly town i've ever been to, and I got into every single attraction for free (and moved to the front of the line on some).  I did get to meet some great people that are on the board out there, and they took me to some reasonable eating establishments.  The most I spent on food was the big ass steak dinners we had just about every other night. 

The free stuff I enjoyed?  

The Highline was pretty fucking cool

China Town was neat to walk around, and Little Italy is right next to it, so you should stop by and see that. 

The WTC memorial is something you should go by, and stop by Station 10 and bug those guys.. i'm sure they love that. 

I avoided Times Square like the plague, but our hotel was near it, so I couldn't help but walk through it a few times.  I guess if you've never been, it was be worth walking through.  

Central Park.  Ya.. that was a blast.  I ran the park a couple of times, and still felt like I didn't get to see the whole thing.  Go there for sure. 

If you get overwhelmed with the oppressive amount of humanity, shoot out east to Long Island, with it's oppressive amount of automobiles (seriously so many fucking cars)

Agree with all above posters about eats, events, sightseeing and such. If the weather permits, with it being mid to late August it probably should, hit the ocean. There are some great beaches around NYC.

Avoid the Statue of Liberty street performers in Times Square. Creeeppyy!! 

Have a blast in "the city" as us Long Islanders call it.  :cheers:

Wow the Staten Island ferry is free? That kinda blows my mind, but a great idea for budget conscious sight seeing. I've been to NY a few times and have enjoyed just walking through the Waldorf, Saks, Gucci and some of the high end 5th Ave retailers. It might be fun to look at shirts that cost 10 times what's in your wallet. I try to imagine why someone buys that. I also liked the advice about getting bowl noodle meals in Chinatown. Look for places serving Pho and you will not go hungry even on a very tight budget.

Museums, Central Park, the Rockefeller Center, the U.N. etc.etc. just bring your energy you'll be aiite!

Walking is what you do in NYC, and be ready to walk 10 miles a day. There's so much to see you have to walk all over the place at times, being stuck in the subway won't do it.

MOMA being free for 4 hours one evening is good, because as far as I'm concerned, you can really see all that's worth seeing in less than that :D

If you go to WTC Memorial, go after sunfall. I think it's supposed to close down at 9PM. During daytime, it's busy, very noisy and full of people tactlessly taking selfies. Going after 8PM is how you'll get the full impact of the memorial.

Times Square for Friday or Saturday early evening, if you want to experience Hell on Earth. A fully packed Hell, that is.

Central Park is great. And offers hours of wandering, people-watching and stuff.

Last but not least, if you manage to go to the Met, go on the top, to the Roof Garden; the sight is just awesome.

I am in NYC right now for the first time and it is remarkable. It's just for a business thing (dinner tonight, meeting tomorrow then fly back out) so the only free time I had was about 3 hours this afternoon, but in that time my pal from work and I spent the entire time just walking around exploring Manhattan. Really wish I had more time to spend here this trip, there's so much I still want to see. 

Wow the Staten Island ferry is free? That kinda blows my mind, but a great idea for budget conscious sight seeing. I've been to NY a few times and have enjoyed just walking through the Waldorf, Saks, Gucci and some of the high end 5th Ave retailers. It might be fun to look at shirts that cost 10 times what's in your wallet. I try to imagine why someone buys that. I also liked the advice about getting bowl noodle meals in Chinatown. Look for places serving Pho and you will not go hungry even on a very tight budget.

Museums, Central Park, the Rockefeller Center, the U.N. etc.etc. just bring your energy you'll be aiite!

It's been free for 15 years. A lot of people are shocked to hear it.

One thing you must try is a slice of Ray's pizza. My buddy said how you haven't had pizza til you had a huge slice of cheese pizza from Ray's. I always said pizza is pizza man. Its the food of the gods bro!

since there are about 800 ray's pizzas in NYC and 799 are diarrhea inducing, i can not support this notion. 

Archived