Walkind Dead Season 2 (continued)

Mark Antony

Gas doesn't work that way. At least a few months has gone by which means most of the gas in the cars would be unusable in a car/truck without refining it. There is a reason why you are supposed to drain a gas tank before putting a car in storage.

Bullshit... I just put gas that had been sitting in my garage from last summer in my empty lawn mower and started it up to mow the lawn yesterday. Gas goes bad after a long, long time... not weeks.

I agree. It's not like "Michonne" or "The Governor" have any real meaning unless someone either spoils that too, or you go out of your way to go look up the significance of those names in the plot.

i am glad that you have agreement with someone about what is a spoiler and what isn't, but it has been asked over and over again that we do not discuss anything but what we have seen in the show in this thread. There is a spoiler thread available for this show for things that may or may not be coming later.

Michonne was introduced as a character name in Talking Dead last night, so the mention of her name doesn't bother me as long as we aren't discussing her in the GN, but

I didn't want to hear about the Governor as a character.

I feel like that is a mild spoiler as the very name has implication of the character.

How fast gas goes bad has a lot to do with how much of it there is. Gas in a float bowl of a carb? That will go bad in months. The gas in the back of a huge fuel truck? That shit will last for years.

Had a friend pull a motorcycle out of storage after many years, drained the float bowls, gave the bike a couple of kicks...and that bitch started right up. How many years? 17.

How fast gas goes bad has a lot to do with how much of it there is. Gas in a float bowl of a carb? That will go bad in months. The gas in the back of a huge fuel truck? That shit will last for years.

Had a friend pull a motorcycle out of storage after many years, drained the float bowls, gave the bike a couple of kicks...and that bitch started right up. How many years? 17.

but had the dead started to walk the earth hungering for human flesh? if not, then i am not impressed.

Bullshit... I just put gas that had been sitting in my garage from last summer in my empty lawn mower and started it up to mow the lawn yesterday. Gas goes bad after a long, long time... not weeks.

And it coughed up a lot and was hard to start and had the blue smoke come out right? Regardless, there is a significant difference between a lawn mower and a car. Gas doesn't need to go bad to have a car not be able to run it. It just needs to gel slightly.

Come on, we're talking character motivations, obvisouly those things didn't happen, I was throwing out hypotheticals for why Rick had little reason to keep that to himself, other than the heavy hand of the writers wanting to create suspense. It was to say the risk is greater than the fear of further crushing people's spirits. For all Rick knew anyone could have died at any time from non-zombie related causes and put others at risk. The group is completely justified in their anger.

Agree completely. Just from a standpoint of group safety, he had no business keeping that to himself. Bad Rick! No biscuit!

but had the dead started to walk the earth hungering for human flesh? if not, then i am not impressed.

Nope, but I was still married to my ex-wife and she hungered for money and other men's penises...does that count for anything?

=)

EDIT- To stay a little more on track here, I LOVED the crazy look and ultimatum Rick gave at the end of this episode. No more Mr. Nice Rick. I was just hoping someone would say something so he could pistol whip them or something.

Nope, but I was still married to my ex-wife and she hungered for money and other men's penises...does that count for anything?

=)

EDIT- To stay a little more on track here, I LOVED the crazy look and ultimatum Rick gave at the end of this episode. No more Mr. Nice Rick. I was just hoping someone would say something so he could pistol whip them or something.

Clearly that someone should have been T-Dogg.

"So Rick, when you say we are not longer a democracy, what exactly do you mean? Are we instead a Republic? Instead of voting for each decision will we vote for people to make those decisions for us? You know before the walkers came I was the mayor of a large town in Georgia, I'm not going to say it was Alanta, but I'm not going to say it wasn't either. Anyway I think I would make a very good ......"

*PISTOL WHIP*

"AH HELL NO!"

And it coughed up a lot and was hard to start and had the blue smoke come out right? Regardless, there is a significant difference between a lawn mower and a car. Gas doesn't need to go bad to have a car not be able to run it. It just needs to gel slightly.

Nope... not even a little bit. It fired up like a champ. I have also let cars sit for months and came back and started them right up. You do run the risk of clogging your fuel filter after letting it sit for a few months, but the gas itself burns.

The very worse case scenario is that they would have to strain the gas before using...

Hopefully this won't be a double post..

Judging from Herschel's shotgun and the groups' general "BOOM! HEADSHOT! while moving at high speed" skills, I'm guessing realism wasn't factoring into the lack of gasoline siphoning for the writers.

Gasoline does indeed start to degrade more quickly than most people expect, and gas that is six months to a year old will often cause problems for many simpler engines, such as 2-strokes or 4-strokes with carburetors. Whether it will actually cause problems right away or not is obviously based on many factors. However, the issue is a bit more complicated than that, as modern cars have fuel systems that are basically fully sealed, and a wonderous thing called fuel injection.

In a vehicle with a modern fuel injection system, when you step on the gas pedal, you are actually opening the throttle valve which will let more air into the engine, and cause the computer to increase the fuel injection rate to match the air entering the system. There are a bunch of computer sensors which monitor exactly how much air you are letting in, how much oxygen is already in the system, and this allows it to decide how much fuel to inject. The fuel injector itself is basically a valve controlled by the computer, and has a nozzle that is supplied with pressurized fuel by the fuel pump, in your gas tank. When the computer tells the fuel injector that it needs to add fuel, a valve is opened and pressurized fuel is sprayed onto the intake valve. During it's passage through the valve, this pressurized fuel is atomized, which renders it basically as a mist, and allows it to burn more easily.

This process will basically allow your modern car to use older gasoline, although it's still not great for your engine over the long-term and will cause your octane rating to decrease. The oxidation from the fuel is also definitely going to gum up your fuel injector, although it would most likely clog up a carburetor or fuel filter before that happened, IMO. Think of it this way, in the older system, the gummy gasoline is basically being directly launched into the carburetor, whereas in the newer system, that gummy gasoline is being vaporized first, and then injected. The latter process is simply more efficient, and is what is likely going to allow you to use gasoline that is a bit older (although this is still very much not recommended!).

For an older vehicle, the primary point of failure would probably be in the float chamber, where fuel sits ready to be launched into the carburetor and mixed with air. Gasoline that degraded in that chamber would cause a lot of problems for the engine - as it leaves behind sediments and other residues, which would make it very difficult to start and sputter during operation even if it did manage to start.

The main problem with using old gas is that the chemical composition has changed, decreasing the volatility of the gasoline itself. This volatility is what makes it easy for the fuel injector (or the older systems) to vaporize the gasoline and use it to power the vehicle. This vaporization is sort of essential to the whole process. Systems with fuel injectors are obviously much better at vaporizing gasoline than systems with only 2-strokes or 4-strokes with carburetors are (as they do so directly within the intake manifold), so the effects would likely take longer to experience in such a vehicle.

One option would be for them to find a service station and grab some fuel stabilizers, which can extend the shelf-life of gasoline quite dramatically, as they slow down the oxidation process. They should be doing this to all gas that they find. If they ever find out that Rick stopped at that gas station where he shot the little girl, where he should have picked up a case, they should execute him on the spot. Changing a radiator hose is one thing. You do NOT want to be caught out in the open cleaning your fuel injector or carburetor during the zombie apocalypse.

Okay, that was a good episode, particularly after the massacre was over. Didn't I say it would probably be Patricia and one of Hershel's kids? They're useless anyway, so no big deal. And Andrea, really... If anyone had a chance at surviving a herd on her own, walking for 20 hours or so, that would certainly be Andrea. And could she have been saved in a more majestic way? All hail Michonne, first of her name, queen of the zombies and non-bitten humans (and yeah, didn't put this in spoiler tags since someone mentioned her already anyway, but I'll put the next information under tags for the sensitive souls).

I really had not expected to feel this excited about seeing that samurai sword and those slave zombies, but hell it that wasn't great!

. And the prison finally ceases to be a spoiler (because, really, you can't expect to ignore the last five seconds of the finale). I wonder how long it will take for them to spy what's over the hill... I hope that will be the cliffhanger to episode one, but they've been so slow lately that you never know...

And what do you think was the noise they heard? Zombie? Rabbit? Michonne? Or unknown enemy?

Now tell me, is there anyone more unbearable than Lori? She was practically begging for Rick to kill Shane a few episodes ago, and now that he has done so she acts disgusted? And what's wrong with bloody Carol? Luckily Daryll has more sense than to listen to her, but still...

Theory on the helicopter...don't read if you don't want to be spoiled about a possible tie-in to the GN.

I can only guess if they are following the GN somewhat loosely, that helicopter was the news helicopter that came out of Atlanta and then crashes outside the prison...leading the group to meet up with the Governor and his people.

I hope that's not what happens; it's too soon for that. I want five episodes of prison drama before they meet him.

I try to be as empathetic as possible to characters, but fuck Lori. First she wants Rick to kill Shane suddenly she becomes disgusted?

THIS.

Michonne's casting is revealed on Talking Dead. Facial features look a lot like the comic in my opinion.

Who is it?!

Speaking of limitations on supply, I noticed that they finally ran out of gas! I was wondering when that would happen, since they were supposedly short on gas as far back as the CDC in Season One. Now they're going to be short on ammo, particularly since Herschel's CarnEval-esque Unlimited Round Shotgun finally ran out of ammo.* :D

I assumed they had gotten gas from those cars on the road before Sophia disappeared, which was why they didn't do it when they returned to that road. Btw, is it my impression or the bodies in the cars decomposed in ten episodes? lol

I know this was Ricks "Ned Stark" moment when he told them they were infected.

I prefer honesty myself- maybe because I'm not good at lying, or I just think people have the right to the correct information to make their own choices, but I don't think I would have told them about the infection, because I'm not sure what good, at this point, it would serve.

Am I wrong about this? :unsure:

I'm great at lying! But that's not the reason why I think Rick is right. I mean, he had no proof that what the guy said was true, he could be just lowing the morale and stimulating people to turn to suicide for nothing. Though they did have the right to learn about that, at least to be able to defend themselves when someone who died naturally came back. Well, a leader's decisions aren't supposed to be easy; I would just have added that I was confident the guy was lying or wrong or crazed or whatever before informing them of the sad news.

I think tensions over group leadership are going to be interesting. Personally, I think Darryl would be best. Rick has been too mercurial as leader, even before he had to eliminate Shane.

Really? Because I see Daryll more as a soldier kind - perfect to be second in command and do the dirty job, but not really a leader. He just doesn't seem cold-headed enough for that. Carol is as much of an unbearable bitch ruining that group as Lori, that's the truth.

1. Did anyone think that there might need to be an evacuation plan? With a couple of elementary type fire drills, everything could have gone a million times smoother. Even if they didn't make great plans, wouldn't it have been nice if everybody knew where to meet up if they got separated?

Who knows? They might realize that's necessary now, after experiencing those horrors at the farm. And hopefully put a better system of watch and communication. But since they miraculously found each other, I really don't know if they'll ever be smart enough to arrange a meeting place or something like that...

Are Andrea & hooded ninja going to rendezvous with the rest of the group?

I had hoped they were responsible for that noise they heard in the end. But I guess that was just an animal or zombie... Those two are too far away to reach the group that quickly on foot, and walking around at night is hardly a smart decision.

I just realized.... If you chopped off dead Lori's arms, then removed her jaw and put her on a leash...

I would probably like her as a character again.

Lori and Carol, please.

Gas doesn't work that way. At least a few months has gone by which means most of the gas in the cars would be unusable in a car/truck without refining it. There is a reason why you are supposed to drain a gas tank before putting a car in storage.

Well, Kirkman forgot about that rule in the GN, it's always possible he'll do the same in the show. Besides, and I'm not saying you're not right, but sticking to that rule would mean they would never again use cars, which would simply make all heir walking around in zombie world much harder - and maybe get even more people to complain about the pace...

The episode was really stupid and a bit of a let down given how strong the last few episodes have been. First there was the amount of time it took for Rick and Carl to notice the zombie horde then there was the idiotic battle plan - drive around in circles firing off multiple head shots. Even better the people who weren't in cars or had guns thought the best plan was to wait until the zombie horde was on the porch and then run off in a wild panic.

Surely they should have just got the hell out of dodge and save the ammo for when they need it? About the only sensible move was Rick luring the zombies into the barn and setting fire to it.

Maybe they should make sure the gas tanks are also full too?

Well, it was dark, I don't think they could see just how many zombies they were facing. They probably thought they had a chance to save the farm, after all, which would be why they didn't run away at once. Also, they were scattered all over the place, it was only natural they wouldn't want to leave their friends and family while they thought they had chances of killing them all. Stupid? Certainly, but pretty realistic as to how most people would react.

Michonne was introduced as a character name in Talking Dead last night, so the mention of her name doesn't bother me as long as we aren't discussing her in the GN, but

I didn't want to hear about the Governor as a character.

I feel like that is a mild spoiler as the very name has implication of the character.

Well, but he was mentioned for next season in any website you visit about TWD when the British actor was hired for season three. And, well,

his name only seems to mean something if you hadn't read the GN

Ok, I have tried 3 times to watch the episode without interruption but it's not going to happen. I can't seem to get through the part where they are all sitting by the cars or whatever and I think they are discussing Rick? Then Carol says something to Daryl and he says "what do you want?". What is it that she says to him? And what exactly was the discussion about?

And about Lori and all her fun - I blame it on the hormones. She doesn't know what she wants but she has to be damn sure to point the finger at someone.

I'm going to have to figure out how to get my son and husband to leave me alone for an hour when GoT premieres. It's way too frustrating to try and watch a show when being constantly pestered.

Judging from Herschel's shotgun and the groups' general "BOOM! HEADSHOT! while moving at high speed" skills, I'm guessing realism wasn't factoring into the lack of gasoline siphoning for the writers.

Ok, true story.

A friend of mine got a new 9mm pistol, so we went down to the range a few weeks ago to pop off some rounds. To round out the experience, he brought his 20-gauge.

Being in the middle of Walking Dead season, of course I saw this as training for the coming zombie apocalypse and treated it accordingly by only aiming for the head section of the cardboard targets. Any body shot is wasted ammo, after all.

I was amazed how accurate the shotgun was at 20 feet. Even at that distance, the spread was remarkably tight to cover the head section. All headshots dead center.

My pistol work wasn't quite as good, but it was consistent enough to adjust my slight pull right and up. About 80% of my shots would put down a zombie.

Granted, this was all using the firearms in a range with stationary targets (no riding in a pick-up or bouncing Honda) but I'm sure I can do what's needed when the day comes, just as Herschel did.

Now, if I could only find a shotgun with a 30 round capacity...

ETA:

I'm going to have to figure out how to get my son and husband to leave me alone for an hour when GoT premieres. It's way too frustrating to try and watch a show when being constantly pestered.

*hugs*

We got the kids in bed soon enough to watch the show uninterrupted, but that is never assured for any shows before 9. We had our first when Lost and BSG was still on the air. And of course he would wake up during that one hour we wanted undisturbed. (well, the other hour...)

Ok, I have tried 3 times to watch the episode without interruption but it's not going to happen. I can't seem to get through the part where they are all sitting by the cars or whatever and I think they are discussing Rick? Then Carol says something to Daryl and he says "what do you want?". What is it that she says to him? And what exactly was the discussion about?

And about Lori and all her fun - I blame it on the hormones. She doesn't know what she wants but she has to be damn sure to point the finger at someone.

It's one of those moments I'm actually too grateful for being single and able to lock myself in my room until the show ends. Of course my parents will occasionally pester me, but that's rarer - I just have to act as though I'm on those days and they get away from me real quick ^.^

Well, the scene you couldn't watch is basically Rick telling everyone he killed Shane, and that they're all infected, and they're all pissed because he didn't reveal that bit sooner. Then Rick goes "this is no longer a democracy" and at some point in that discussion Carol suggests to Darryl that he should be the leader instead of Rick. He says that is working fine for him, asks what she wants, she says "an honorable man/man with honor", and he says Rick's the guy, or something like that. In short, she turns into Lori.

Walking Dead Presents: The Importance of Being Lori

Open on a camp scene in the woods. Lori is frantic.

Lori: Daryl! DARYL! I DROPPED MY SUNGLASSES OVER THERE YOU HAVE TO GO GET THEM!

Daryl: .... you are literally five steps away from them. I can see them right there. Why cant you get 'em yourself?

Lori: I HAVE TO PROTECT MY BOY!

Daryl: You mean Carl? Where is he anyway?

Lori: OMG CARL? CAAAAARL?!! WHERE IS MY BOY? RICK? RIIIIIIIICK? WHERE'S CARL?

Rick: Jesus fucking christ, chill out woman, he's right over there. If you'd just turned your head a fraction to the left you would have seen him.

Lori: OH THANK GOD! CARL? HEY CAAAAARL? GO AND PLAY IN THE WOODS OR SOMETHING I NEED TO TALK TO YOUR DAD.

Carl: OK, I'll wander off somewhere and throw rocks at zombies!

T Dogg: Shut up Carl. Your dad only gave you that hat because you have a stupid haircut.

Hershel: Here take my magic shotgun, and oh yeah PS guys magic is real.

Carl departs with Hershel's magic shotgun. As he walks past Carol, he takes a picture of Sophia from his pocket and spits on it, before vanisihing into the zombie infested woods.

Lori (whispers): Rick? Riiiiiiiiiick? Did you kill Shane yet? You have to do it, he wants to get all up in me!

Rick: Hmm? Oh yeah I took care of it. He set up an elaborate ploy to lure me into the woods and gun me down in cold blood, so I stabbed him to death.

Lori: WHAT? YOU MONSTER! NOOOO DON'T TOUCH ME HOW COULD YOU DO THAT, HOW COULD YOU KILL SHANE!

Rick: Then after he was dead I fondled his tits for a while because daaaaaaaaamn.

Carol: Dinner is ready! I only accidentally stabbed myself twice while making it too! Come and get it everyone!

Lori: CARL COME AND GET DINNER? CARL? OMG CAAAAARL, WHERE ARE YOUUUU, SOMEONE FIND MY BOY!

Archived