[Starz] Black Sails [Spoilers off the port bow!]

Commodore

One thing that does worry me is the total lack of buzz around this show. Like, I was browsing the net in search of a good review, but all the usual places I check out didn't have a review up. Which is a shame, given how good the premiere was. This show needs to be succesful in order to be good (bigger audience = more money for ship scenes), so I really hope people wake up and start watching it.

That needs to be a thing !

:pirate: :cool4:

....at least the Dufresne recasts resemble each other...

Yeah, I didn't even notice to be honest. So, job well done.

And I love Professor McGonagall's son.

He's great isn't he :) I always hoped he would do more things like this. He was one of the only good things about Die Another Day.

Well, he did used to be a Viking.

Ha, makes sense to cast one of them :)

Isn't this supposed to be part of the mystery for the season? Is there a mystery for the season?

Not much of a spoiler since there's a preview on the Black Sails facebook page that tells us she's

Abigail Ashe, the daughter of the governor of the Carolina colony.

I'm really not looking forward to the development of Max's

turn-every-other-woman-in-this-series-into-a-lesbian-power

, I pray to god that the writers have something better in store than what they gave us last year. Those two are easily the weakest part of this ensemble.

I've been reading up on the real pirates the show portrays and I have a feeling they're setting Max up

to take a similar role as Mary Read, a real female pirate who sailed with Calico Jack Rackham and Anne Bonny, and was also a lover to both. Max isn't a pirate obviously but she doesn't have to be to be. The show isn't getting any points for historical accuracy, anyway. Last season Vane's encounter with Albinus (the slaver) was supposed to be a version of Vane's real encounter with Edward Teach (Blackbeard). Historically Vane approached Blackbeard after he was removed from the Ranger and Rackham was named Captain in his place. Blackbeard refuses to give up slaving to sail with Vane after he was relieved of his duties as Captain aboard the Ranger so Vane took another avenue to regain his captaincy. Didn't fight Blackbeard to steal his slaves or kill him though, that's where the fictional portion comes in. Before both of those events happened however Vane controlled the fort in Nassau for some time, the show has Vane having this encounter before taking the fort. I have a feeling the show will probably have Vane settle his issues with Rackham and get a new ship once England starts becoming a little more hostile towards piracy and pays Nassau a visit. Maybe this season towards the end or maybe a later season.

I've been reading up on the real pirates the show portrays and I have a feeling they're setting Max up

to take a similar role as Mary Read, a real female pirate who sailed with Calico Jack Rackham and Anne Bonny, and was also a lover to both. Max isn't a pirate obviously but she doesn't have to be to be. The show isn't getting any points for historical accuracy, anyway. Last season Vane's encounter with Albinus (the slaver) was supposed to be a version of Vane's real encounter with Edward Teach (Blackbeard). Historically Vane approached Blackbeard after he was removed from the Ranger and Rackham was named Captain in his place. Blackbeard refuses to give up slaving to sail with Vane after he was relieved of his duties as Captain aboard the Ranger so Vane took another avenue to regain his captaincy. Didn't fight Blackbeard to steal his slaves or kill him though, that's where the fictional portion comes in. Before both of those events happened however Vane controlled the fort in Nassau for some time, the show has Vane having this encounter before taking the fort. I have a feeling the show will probably have Vane settle his issues with Rackham and get a new ship once England starts becoming a little more hostile towards piracy and pays Nassau a visit. Maybe this season towards the end or maybe a later season.

Many apologies -- I quoted the wrong quote, unintentionally.

Well, at least one of the writers is a lesbian so . . . .

Good episode and nice to see the second series start strongly.

I'm surprised that GoT is such a big television phenomenon compared to this. The difference in media coverage and popular awareness seems disproportional.

I agree that Silver has come along really well and he and Flint make for a strong core. But there are two few prominent characters now in the rest of the crew after the two significant deaths on this voyage. Dufresne is a good character but perhaps other crew members will be developed now to round things out.

The Nassau characters and storyline are a bit weak but here's hoping they improve.

Good episode and nice to see the second series start strongly.

I'm surprised that GoT is such a big television phenomenon compared to this. The difference in media coverage and popular awareness seems disproportional.

What's so surprising about it? GoT is based on a popular book series and produced by HBO and has much more popular talent to its credit.

That is sad news about Eiselen indeed...

I wonder how true to Treasure island they'll be... the gold on the beach is a big piece of that puzzle.

I'm likely misremembering, but isn't Billy Bones important to Treasure Island? Seems like they've made a bit of a change already...

Archived