Who in the Seven Hells is Florence?

Howdyphillip

I have a very common last name; however, my name, input into Google, comes up with me as the top page of results, including LinkedIn page, professional associations, etc, etc. I removed my home address/name link from data aggregator Spokeo, but still...

Someone said, in another thread, that the clever elves at all those pages will always put you at the top of the page.

Yet another reason why I use a fake name on FB. And I only ever accept friend requests from people I've met in person, seen at least two forms of ID, and taken a blood sample from.

No answer at all, and nothing on her page except a profile pic and a list of friends (though I never actually accepted, there might be more visible to those who did). Somehow this random woman is trying to friend all the BwB and no explanation is forthcoming!

Now that's..... intriguing. Not answering as in childishly asking you to guess her identity or not giving any sort of reply at all? Does she ever turn up on chat, has ever talked with any of you ? Who are her other friends ? Do her posts, her page provide some clues ?

Holy shit Capt Obvious. You're just full of helpful ideas, aren't you?

You'd be surprised. Some people are not very Google searchable. If I put Mr Marine's name in, it comes up with a wedding photographer in Florida.

Excluding Mr Wedding Photographer, Mr Marine doesn't seem to exist as far as Google is concerned.

I've had good luck at easily finding all my other men on Google, to make sure they aren't ax murderers or anything.

Ah, yes, but if Mr. Marine entered his name on his computer, he will show up at the top of lists. :)

He might not have been picked up by Google, though.... Not everyone has been captured by Google, but if he has a facebook page, presumably Google would pick that up?

Ah, yes, but if Mr. Marine entered his name on his computer, he will show up at the top of lists. :)

He might not have been picked up by Google, though.... Not everyone has been captured by Google, but if he has a facebook page, presumably Google would pick that up?

Not necessarily. I have the same name as a rather famous news person. I've put my name in several search engines myself but only get info on her. So I pretty much don't exist to Google which is fine by me.

My page too is pretty guarded. This is why I accepted then tried to figure out who she was/is. But this forum once had some serious problems with scary alts and I am glad to have dismissed that one.

Of course, if Florence reveals herself as someone we actually knew at one time, I would be glad to jump right back in.

In all seriousness though, if you google my name you only get one person. There is literally no one else alive with my first and last name combo.

Same here. My surname is rare as fuck. In some ways I like it but in others it's pretty disconcerting.

Anyway I don't have any of y'all on facebook or owt so no mysterious facebook stranger for me. But their ways of matching people up can be weird and creepy. I was once recommended as a friend someone I do know from a different forum, but with whom I had no mutual friends or anything like that. The only way I can think of they linked us up is that I used to use my hotmail address as my facebook login, and I had him on MSN Messenger. Quite how they can legally sniff out that information I'm not sure, but there's nothing else that comes to mind.

I have got random adds from people in the past. If I don't know them at all, I tend to just ignore it.

I have a very common last name; however, my name, input into Google, comes up with me as the top page of results, including LinkedIn page, professional associations, etc, etc. I removed my home address/name link from data aggregator Spokeo, but still...

Total side note, as I'm one privileged to know you on Facebook, Chats, but you're also one of two I know with the exact same name. I gotta double take the very slight difference in first name spelling to see whom I'm stalking that afternoon... :p

I've published some stuff (boring accounting articles), and been active in professional associations, so my name pops up all over. Even more so than the soap opera star (deceased; General Hospital) with my name.

Not on my computer. Unless you were trying to throw people off with that soap opera clue. Spelling of the first name matters though.

I remember you mentioned your first name in some thread a while ago, and you heavily implied the name of one of the companies you worked for. Now I sound like a stalker, sorry, but I couldn't resist trying to piece together the clues. Doesn't matter anyway.

ETA: if it's any consolation, depending on your LinkedIn settings, you might now know who I am.

This is particularly painful for me as I have a long-standing grudge towards having not received more PM's, creepy or otherwise, and I also just read a book that involved an AI that was actually interesting. So now I'm to believe that Florence is a maybe an AI that selectively does not PM me but also is uninteresting and that maybe I should be grateful to another AI for keeping Florence away? Why not.

Of course, our AI would never permit dullards to access our PM boxes.

Alternativetely:

-Florence is fascinating, but a cappy fascist.

-Florence is an agent of the Basilisk.

-Florence wants to wax poetically about the poignancy of the prose in all 4,000 pages of the Twilight series and our AI destroyed him for the benefit of all the Brotherhood. Since we are being SPECIALLY vetted by the AI with extra TLC, we were never bothered in the first place.

Any way you look at it, our AI is showing some signs of paternalism. Maybe he's been drinking.

Archived