Top 10 (or 5) Documentaries on Netflix.

BaseBornBastard

I've been scrolling through Netflix trying to decide on a documentary to watch, and thought that I would start this thread in the hopes of getting some good suggestions. Feel free to list your top ten, five, or even just one or two that you really enjoyed for whatever reason.

Here are some good ones that i have watched recently:

Mount Saint Elias is pretty solid. (mountaineering/ extreme Skiing)

Everest is always good.

30 for 30 - Of Miracles and Men (1980 US Hockey team

Pumping Iron (Arnold bodybuilding)

Stop at Nothing - Lance Armstrong Documentary

30 for 30 - Slaying the Badger (Greg Lemond, Tour De France)

To be Takei

G.L.O.W. - The story of the gorgeous ladies of wrestling

I second eyenon's opinion on the 30for30's. I have yet to view a bad one.

Jesus Camp

Brother's Keeper

Blackfish

Bronies: The Extremely Unexpected Adult Fans of My Little Pony

Beware of Mr. Baker

I've seen Jesus Camp. It was both brilliant and disturbing.

Not sure if it's still on Netflix or not, but if you want to scare the living shit out of yourself, checkout Food Inc.

I've heard good things about that one. Perhaps I'll give it a look.

I think Louis Theroux is on there? at least the UK one. He's a british journalist who seems to focus solely on the US these days but he's done other countries too. It's always interesting how he gets to people to open up on camera.

There's one on Neo Nazis, deathrow, crystal meth and two on the american family/church group who seem to revel in protesting at veteran funerals with banners saying "god hates fags" etc. His earlier ones are more light-hearted whereas the last 5 years worth have been pretty serious.

There's a wiki list here. If you're not British, I'd stick to his "weird weekends" and "bbc specials" as his earlier work deals with celebrities who are very speficic to british culture (although if the Jimmy Saville one is even available anymore it'd probably be even more fascinating/disturbing than when it was originally aired 15 years ago)

Not sure if it's only on UK Netflix or not, but you should definitely check out the BBC nature docs if you can.

Life, Frozen Planet, Blue Planet etc. Outstanding visuals, narration* and storytelling.

*David Attenborough's voice

It's hard to go wrong with Attenborough but I agree the BBC nature docs in general are very good. I've just been watching one on continents that is geology but with some evolution thrown in eg Africa's shallow sea that made the North West an island probably gave rise to whales. I'd also never heard of cratons until watching it.

Jiro Dreams of Sushi.

Yes! I strongly recommend this one, too.

Other recommendations:

* Dear Mr. Waterson - If you're a Calvin & Hobbes fan, you must check this one out.

* 20 Feet From Stardom - I believe it won the Oscar for best doc. All about back up singers, and as you can imagine, it has a stellar soundtrack.

* Drew: The Man Behind the Posters - Great doc about legendary movie poster artist Drew Struzan.

* Jake Shimabukuro: Life on Four Strings - Good, but not great, doc about the world's most famous ukulele player.

* I Know That Voice - Good, but not great, doc about the world's most famous voice actors. Watch the comedy In A World after you see this one.

Yes! I strongly recommend this one, too.

Other recommendations:

* Dear Mr. Waterson - If you're a Calvin & Hobbes fan, you must check this one out.

* I Know That Voice - Good, but not great, doc about the world's most famous voice actors. Watch the comedy In A World after you see this one.

Seconded on the Dear Mr Waterson.

And I did the same thing with I Know That Voice and In A World... :) For bonus points, go listen to Rock Sugar after watching I Know That Voice.

One doc I really liked was Secrets of the Viking Sword: Nova. Went into the metallurgy of viking blades and how they were made.

Not a documentary per say, but for the writers out there, The Writer's Room is a great peek at what goes on behind some well done shows. Game of Thrones and Breaking Bad are among the shows highlighted during season one.

Archived